Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 03:29 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,191,140 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke_Jaguar4 View Post
Yes it is a 2nd Amendment issue. The fact that a mentally unstable person had the "right" to arm himself is a 2A issue.
I have been called deluded on this forum because I believe in God. There are some (maybe you) that feel I should not have the right to own a gun for that reason. The favorite justification for imprisoning dissidents in the former Soviet Union was charging them with mental problems. Your answer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2013, 03:38 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,750,310 times
Quote:
Bull. The guy had already threatened his neighbors, shot at them, killed animals, and yet GA law enforcement did NOTHING. Why? I bet if he weren't an old white guy that they identified with I'm sure they would have taken him in the first opportunity they had.
This is exactly the point, it was a mental health issue and if neighbors/police would have arrested/commited him earlier, his guns would have been confiscated and he would have been prohibited from purchasing a firearm. He was a nut and no one did anything to nip it in the bud, but waited until he finally flipped to take action. Now you want to blame the guns Funny how no one wanted to step foward and take action. I am sure he has violated the law and if he threatened his neighbors, shot at them, that should have been enough to prohibit him. Where were you, the neighbors, the police before this all happened?

Old 02-05-2013, 03:43 AM

1,131 posts, read 1,260,621 times
By the way, although the kidnapped kid is "OK," physically, he is sure to have major PTSD. But, as a mental health practitioner, I can say that little could have been done for the kidnapper from OUR side of things, as he would have (and did) refused "treatment." He should have been jailed (NOT hospitalized) a long time ago. Don't ask the mental health world to do the job that the criminal justice world won't -- they are the ones with the weapons and the secure locked facilities these days.

Old 02-05-2013, 03:46 AM

24,391 posts, read 23,048,028 times
Maybe instead of saying " anti government gun nut shot dead " you could try " decorated war veteran shot dead". No, I guess that might not go over as well.
He was both. Crazy and a veteran. There are supposed to be veteran services and VA hospitals, run by the government , which are supposed to help these people and be on the lookout for them showing signs of problems.
I guess the government gets a pass on this one, as usual. Why is it that the government is always calling for more power to prevent crimes like this but when it fails to prevent them its never its fault?

Old 02-05-2013, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
Maybe instead of saying " anti government gun nut shot dead " you could try " decorated war veteran shot dead". No, I guess that might not go over as well.
?
I don't wish to disparage his veteran status, and he certainly served in Vietnam,,but he received no special decorations. The presidential unit citation and Vietnam Service ribbon were given to everyone that served in Vietnam whether they saw combat or not. None of us are qualified to make declarations on his mental state or motives. I'm very sad that two men are dead. I don't understand why it happened. I'm very glad the boy survived.

Old 02-05-2013, 06:28 AM

2,635 posts, read 3,510,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
So if we ban all guns, guy's like him will not give up their guns and neither will any other criminals, then we, the law abiding, will be left defensless. Makes sense to me.
No one is saying ban all guns, just put some rules in place to protect the public from people like Dykes, and then give law enforcement the resources they need. The vast majority of Americans will still have access to weapons. It's not an all or nothing proposition, please stop framing it at such.

Old 02-05-2013, 06:32 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,415,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
If only. Whackjobs like this creep don't think about things like this beforehand.
Why pass laws against murder? Why pass gun control laws?

Old 02-05-2013, 06:33 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,415,085 times
Quote:
... and then give law enforcement the resources they need.
Like assault rifles...

Old 02-05-2013, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
Sending 5 year olds armed to school would is a disaster waiting to happen.
Obviously. What moron is suggesting this?

Old 02-05-2013, 06:37 AM

2,635 posts, read 3,510,486 times
Quote:
"A decorated war veteran was killed by government agents without due process because he was trying to defend from trespassing neighbors. Rather than submit himself to government tyranny, he asserted his 2nd Amendment rights to protect his property."

I'm sure there's already a shrine to Dykes on Stormfront.

Quote:
He was both. Crazy and a veteran. There are supposed to be veteran services and VA hospitals, run by the government , which are supposed to help these people and be on the lookout for them showing signs of problems.
Don't put this on the VA. They are already stretched to the max supporting both retiring baby boom vets and a new influx of vets from Iraq and Afghanistan. Furthermore vets are not obligated to use the VA (many don't). Given he already had mistrust of the government, I highly doubt he was using VA services.

Quote:
I guess the government gets a pass on this one, as usual. Why is it that the government is always calling for more power to prevent crimes like this but when it fails to prevent them its never its fault?
Because they lack the resources to enforce the laws. It's one thing to pass the law, then Congress needs to provide a budget for manpower, equipment, facilities, etc... In this case, the BATF has been hamstrung by the NRA's supporters in Congress who have perpetually starved the organization and have failed to appoint senior leaders to run it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies