Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 08:13 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,602,856 times

Advertisements

They used to be considered the perfect "nanny dogs" for children -- until the media turned them into monsters

For most of the 114 years since the American pit bull terrier was first recognized by the United Kennel Club, the breed was rightly seen as the perfect “nanny dog” for children because of its friendly nature, loyalty and stability. As the ASPCA notes, the pit bulls were “once considered especially non-aggressive to people.”

In defense of the pit bull - Salon.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2013, 08:21 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
My neighbor had a pit bull and she was the sweetest dog and a bit of a wuss. The funny thing was how much she adored my little dog and how much my little dog was scared of her and would stiffen up whenever she was around.

It is a shame those dogs have gotten such a bad rep from having bad owners.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:22 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,176,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
They used to be considered the perfect "nanny dogs" for children -- until the media turned them into monsters
Wrong. It's about how a whole lot of macho men turned those dogs into monsters with their love for dogfights and their need for attack dogs. AND... pit bulls are NOT for people who are lazy dog owners. Those dogs need discipline and a strong owner. They can't be treated as lap dogs.

It's NOT the media's fault.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:23 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Just like the Doberman, German Shepard and Rottweiler before them, Pit Bulls have an undeservedly bad reputation. I wonder what the next "killer" dog will be.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:23 PM

2,608 posts, read 2,097,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post

For most of the 114 years since the American pit bull terrier was first recognized by the United Kennel Club, the breed was rightly seen as the perfect “nanny dog” for children because of its friendly nature, loyalty and stability. As the ASPCA notes, the pit bulls were “once considered especially non-aggressive to people.”

In defense of the pit bull - Salon.com
Describes my 75 lb male Pit Bull perfectly, but Id never be stupid enough to leave any dog with little kids unsupervised....

Old 02-06-2013, 08:32 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
The problem with pit bulls now is the breeding that's been done.

Just lime humans took wolves that showed aptitude for domestication, being more docile and easy to control, then breed them to enhance that trait, now breeders are picking out the most aggressive pit bulls, and breeding for that effect. Over time, this means the whole breed is more aggressive.

It doesn't mean owning them should be illegal, but we it is an effect of the fighting.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:43 PM

1,396 posts, read 2,042,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
My neighbor had a pit bull and she was the sweetest dog and a bit of a wuss. The funny thing was how much she adored my little dog and how much my little dog was scared of her and would stiffen up whenever she was around.

It is a shame those dogs have gotten such a bad rep from having bad owners.
Here's your sign right there. Your dog could sense something you didn't. You should listen to him or her....they know better then you.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:45 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocker_Spaniel_Lover View Post
Here's your sign right there. Your dog could sense something you didn't. You should listen to him or her....they know better then you.
My dog does that with all dogs, even little puppies....I really don't think he knows he is a dog.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:46 PM

1,396 posts, read 2,042,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Just like the Doberman, German Shepard and Rottweiler before them, Pit Bulls have an undeservedly bad reputation. I wonder what the next "killer" dog will be.
None of the other three are crazy and fly off the handle for no reason like they do.

Even so, if the owner gives the command for a Rottie or Shep to stop....they STOP!

Old 02-06-2013, 08:48 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,192,123 times
I have a Shi Tzu. If he flips out and decides to maul my 9 year old, his tiny little mouth probably won't fit around her leg. He might nip her a bit before he gets a kick in the teeth. If a pit bull flips out, she's lucky if she gets away with him just ripping her leg off.

I don't see much reason to have that kind of beast around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies