Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 12:00 AM

1,442 posts, read 1,940,007 times

Advertisements

I can't honestly say that I'd be too pleased with a stranger who took it upon themself to strike my kid onwards of 25 times in a public setting (and by no stretch am I opposed to spankings in general).

I do agree, though, with the scrutiny surrounding the parents of this kid...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2013, 04:31 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,168,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
WRIGHTSVILLE, Ga. -- A Dollar General employee arrested in Wrightsville last week for hitting a child with a belt has now been charged with two felonies, aggravated assault and cruelty to children. The charges were upgraded from simple battery because according to the police chief, store video shows the woman hitting the 8 year old at least 25 times.

Child who says he was spanked by Dollar General clerk describes 'torture' | 11alive.com
The clerk was wrong, without a doubt. The clerk should NEVER have put their hands on this child.

Where were the parents?

Just an observation, technically, he assaulted her when he threw an object at her, I wonder if she will bring charges against the child for assault and battery?

I wonder what we would be saying, had the clerk, been smarter, and instead of a belt, called the police and had the child arrested. Yeah, I know, 8 years old, yada yada yada. At 8 years old I knew better than to be disrespectful and throw things at people.

Old 02-07-2013, 04:45 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
She was wrong, no two ways about it. I don't even think you should hit your own child with a belt. But.... Where was the supervision of this child while he was in the store? Had he been properly supervised by his mother the clerk would have never had the opportunity to touch him, let alone beat him.
Meh. Kids are imperfect and so are their parents. We are all human. We have no idea what happened or why really. YDS has PDD-NOS and tends to run away. Yes, we always keep an eye on him but he can be fast. I can see him doing something like this. If that clerk hit my son, I really don't know what would happen because I would be seeing red. I really would.

Old 02-07-2013, 05:58 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,707,101 times
That's not spanking that's beating.

Reads to me though that the kid is a frigging brat and the parents are the ones that deserve the beating on the ass.

Old 02-07-2013, 06:08 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
I guess I must be the only one with imperfect children that fail to behave 365/24/7.

Old 02-07-2013, 06:45 AM

1,501 posts, read 1,727,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I guess I must be the only one with imperfect children that fail to behave 365/24/7.
I don't think anybody is claiming their kids are perfect, but I would be appalled to have my kid on television telling the story of how he told a stranger, "You want to see bad? I will show you bad." and then throwing something at her. I don't look down on parents who are at least trying to control their kids. That the parent could be oblivious to the alleged beating and the precipitating incident says to me that she was not pay attention to what her kid was doing in the slightest.

Not that any of that excuses what the clerk did in any way.

Old 02-07-2013, 07:08 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,753,334 times
I would have thrown him out of the store along with the parents, he is obviously a product of permissive parenting. For him to speak to another adult with total disrespect is unacceptable and inexcusable on the parents part. As a child I would never even thought of talking to another adult in that manner. There is a lack of disipline at home in this case, but the clerks actions were a bit over the top.

Old 02-07-2013, 07:11 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,753,334 times
Quote:
Meh. Kids are imperfect and so are their parents. We are all human. We have no idea what happened or why really. YDS has PDD-NOS and tends to run away. Yes, we always keep an eye on him but he can be fast. I can see him doing something like this. If that clerk hit my son, I really don't know what would happen because I would be seeing red. I really would.
What about your son talking to the clerk that way, what would you have done about that?

Old 02-07-2013, 07:12 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,163,816 times
Quote:
Surely, since you keep an eye on him, you'd be looking for him once he ran off. This kid had enough time to create some sort of scene, have a confrontation with a clerk, throw something at her, get chased by her, and get hit 25 times. All that took more than a short amount of time. Not to mention, it probably wasn't a real quiet encounter. Most of the time, or at least all I have seen, those are not very large stores. Three people in this situation are in the wrong - the clerk, the kid, and the mom. Had the mother at least tried to do her job this would not have happened. Probably part of what set the clerk off was that she felt the mother wasn't doing her job and making the kid behave. I wonder if this family were regular customers and the kid was just up to his usual shenanigans and this time the clerk snapped. Had any of three -the clerk, the kid, or the mom - behaved appropriately this would have most likely never happened.

Quote:
There is normal child misbehavior, which all children engage in because it's part of being a child, and then there is out-of-control inexcusable misbehavior. My guess is this kid was doing the latter and it was typical of him.

Old 02-07-2013, 07:18 AM

33,571 posts, read 18,165,778 times
Depends how one is brought up.. If you are taught to respect your elders , the child would not have thrown a cookie and the beating would not have taken place. Get to the root first.. not that the woman was right in hitting the child.. that was an extreme reaction.

The parents should have been told that the child was out of control and told to leave the store. Some parents would stick up for the child no matter what they did.. this is bad parenting if they did that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies