Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 10:53 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,938,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnewberry22 View Post
Well... when you're right you're right...I am scared of him and his popularity. His policies are destructive and I don't want to see this country dismantled by an idiot that would prefer the US be reduced to 50 countries.
I agree. Those neo-Confederates are extremely dangerous. I used to be a Paul supporter, only because I didn't know how far down the rabbit hole is with those 2. They are connected to the political elite. It was made obvious when Ron Paul was running right cover for Romney during the primaries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2013, 11:06 AM

1,596 posts, read 1,159,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
Vast majority of Republican primary voters rejected Ron Paul last year. I don't see that changing anytime soon.
They certainly lost a high potential youth constituency.

Now, the Republican party stands naked of all principles. All it's got left is a few princi-pals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiKh9Ko3mw4

Old 02-07-2013, 11:12 AM

502 posts, read 717,839 times
Rand Paul has a solid article today about Foreign Policy over on realclearpolitics. I like this guy, he needs to form some stronger relationships with other Republicans to form a new coalition of congress members dedicated to limiting government and bringing sanity to our foreign policies.

Old 02-07-2013, 11:15 AM

1,596 posts, read 1,159,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fightforlove View Post
Rand Paul has a solid article today about Foreign Policy over on realclearpolitics. I like this guy, he needs to form some stronger relationships with other Republicans to form a new coalition of congress members dedicated to limiting government and bringing sanity to our foreign policies.
The "other republicans" would attempt to affect him before getting affected by him.

And, they outnumber him.

Both parties are slime mold.

Old 02-07-2013, 11:30 AM

1,644 posts, read 2,173,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Which policies? The one that would have prevented our economic collapse by stopping Congress from manipulating the free market in Housing? That one?
Why don't you expound upon this a bit?

Or is it just a tagline from redstate or some other crap website you picked up?

Why don't you read through this.....

7 Things You Need to Know About Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac | Center for American Progress

Here is the most important one...submitted for your review:

2. What role did Fannie and Freddie play in inflating the housing bubble of the mid- to late-2000s?

Contrary to conservative talking points, the answer is very little. During the bubble, loan originators backed by Wall Street capital began operating beyond the Fannie and Freddie system that had been working for decades by peddling large quantities of high-risk subprime mortgages with terms and features that drastically increased the chance of default. Many of those loans were predatory products such as hybrid adjustable-rate mortgages with balloon payments that required serial refinancing, or negative amortization, mortgages that increased the unpaid balance over time.
Wall Street firms such as Lehman Brothers and Bear Stearns packaged these high-risk loans into securities, got the credit-rating agencies to bless them, and then passed them along to investors, who were often unaware or misinformed of the underlying risks. It was the poor performance of the loans in these “private-label” securities—those not owned or guaranteed by Fannie and Freddie—that led to the financial meltdown, according to the bipartisan Financial Crisis Inquiry Commission, among other independent researchers.

Old 02-07-2013, 11:33 AM

60 posts, read 80,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 718native View Post
yea but i think we dislike them for different reasons. What turns me away from Ron Paul(and libertarians in general) is his foreign policy. Rand Paul seems less naive about that
Elaborate, please.

Old 02-07-2013, 11:36 AM

1,644 posts, read 2,173,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiph View Post
Elaborate, please.
I'm going to assume he/she means that the Paul's have a foreign policy that isn't "hawkish" enough or is out of step with the interventionism of the mainstream GOP.

Old 02-07-2013, 11:39 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,673,869 times
Quote:
These two are a skid mark on American political discourse and should be marginalized as such. Their ideas and policies are so destructive to this country that (thank god) for us Dr. Paul the Elder was essentially marginalized by the GOP elite...but it appears that Rand Paul has more mainstream appeal for reasons unbeknownst to me. Dr. Paul the younger needs to be marginalized just as much as his father. Both Paul the younger and elder support the laughable named "Plan to Restore America."

Their policies will destroy this country. Income inequality would be on par with South Africa and Colombia, Wall Street would be free to do whatever it wants, Companies would have zero federal accounting and reporting compliances, Air safety and traffic control would be handled by private contractors, we would have no federal funding, and the government would lose it's abilty to intervene in pending financial crisis..........I don't understand how anyone could support these lunatics.

Everyone knows the facade of Dr. Paul(s) but I think it helps to really SEE their positions laid out to understand just what people are considering.

Here is a brief summary of their positions:
-The elimination of the Dept of Education, Interior, Commerce, Energy, and HUD)
-privatize the FAA and TSA
-slash the federal workforce by 10%
-cut the budgets for all federal branches
-lower the corporate tax rate to 15% despite most fortune 100 countries located in the US paying what amount to an effective rate of 12%
-allow companies to repatriate capital with essentailly no taxation (hello offshore stockpiles)
-permanently extend all Bush tax cuts
-eliminate ALL capital gaines taxes
-sell all federal assets (public parks...thing of the past.)
-repeal obamacare, sarbanes-oxley, and Dodd-Frank...(Enron???)
-conduct a full audit of the Fed (It's audited by indepedent agencies annually anyway)
-deregulate wall street Entirely (really?)
-Phase out Social Security
-Ending the Federal Reserce and our Fiat currency in lieu of the Gold Standard
-Eliminate FEMA and all federal disaser relief.....Sorry Sandy victims...you're on your own.
-Zero federal medical research. (4 billion less for cancer, 3.5 billion less for AIDS, 1.42 billion less for Heart Disease, and over 5 billion less for other major medical issues)
-Repeal of the act that mandate that physicians stablize a patient in the ER if they lack the ability to pay.....(I know that it is a problem but are we seriously going to watch someone die in a waiting room?)
Your solution is easy: Don't vote for them.

Based on the above, I will vote for Rand if given the opportunity. For the love of God, America is out of money. Why is that so hard for libs to get? It certainly doesn't speak well of their thought processes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 718native View Post
Ron Paul-Idiot i agree, rand paul is showing some potential
Gotta agree with this.

Old 02-07-2013, 11:42 AM

2,635 posts, read 3,511,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiph View Post
Elaborate, please.
When it comes to foreign policy, Ron Paul is a surrenderist that would make the French look brave.
We fight wars and have a strong military presence overseas so we don't have to fight wars HERE. Paul seem to think that the world is a happy, benign place where nothing bad ever happens that would affect America's interests in other countries. In RP's world, if the U.S. were ever attacked then we would assemble a popular militia armed with muskets and blunderbusses just like they did back in the 1700's.

Old 02-07-2013, 11:44 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:

-sell all federal assets (public parks...thing of the past.)
I decided to pick one and ^ is it.

About 40% of all U.S. land is public land and most of it is open to the public.

About 96% of all land in Alaska is public land. Imagine selling it, including mineral rights to the highest bidder.

Public and Private Land Percentages by US States : Facts & Information : SummitPost
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies