Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2013, 03:38 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,080,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorhugo View Post
Says you.
Of course says me. Do you have any idea how discussion forms work?

Old 02-09-2013, 09:47 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,481,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Number 1, I spent 2 tours in Nam and know from personal stories from friends. There are many, many stories from vets saying THEY were spit on.

Are you calling everyone of them a liar?
Probably.

Quote:
Number 2. Prove it DIDN'T happen.
Nobody ever has to prove something in contention didn't happen.

Quote:
It is kinda like saying lynchings of blacks never happened because I didn't see it.
No, because I can pull up hundreds of contemporaneous news accounts of lynchings. Whereas nobody has ever produced even one of "spitting on soldiers."

Old 02-10-2013, 04:46 AM

918 posts, read 817,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I tell you what, there were more than a few who deserved to be spit on when they got back.
So now finally the TRUE feellings come out. They deserved it. Such as...'Straffing those innocent villagers with machine gun fire. How could they?'

There is a reason the old axiom of War is Hell still exists. It's man's ultimate folly to resolve differences with his fellow man, BUT until Man himself has elevated himself to a higher plane of being, meaning morality, it remains the last option. Deal with it!

Old 02-10-2013, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
Of course says me. Do you have any idea how discussion forms work?
Your feeble attempts at distractions to dodge responding to my questions won't work on me HistorianDude. Why are you so fearful of dealing with this:

Quote:
Quote:
I can say that, because you introduced it in reply to another comment:
I see that you have been harping on the point that "The burden of proof is on the affirmative.".

You stated just that,
...so where is your proof of that ugly contention about "liars" you posted that insults almost all of the people who've served in our military, myself included?
...and where is your proof that being liars "is part of the military culture"?
...and lastly where is your proof that "all war stories begin with "This is a no-sh*t story""?

Remember now mister HistorianDude..."The burden of proof is on the affirmative." and who is it that is making these affirmative allegations? I fear that this time somebody has let their ignominious and hate-filled agenda burying them up to their eyeballs.

I'm still waiting and by now...so is everyone else.
Could the reason be, because you know it would reveal you?

Old 02-10-2013, 05:46 AM

Default HistorianDude - An assist your way as I help answer my own question

Could it be that you fear me opening the door to the real Achille's Heel of your agenda?

No sooner did I mention Lembcke than you started to cower in the corner seeking a way out!
Strange isn't it. Lembcke appears to effectively support your position, yet you NEVER refer to him. Hmmm! WE know why though..., don't we!

Try this on for openers...as very early on in his "debunking"? attempt he says this:
Quote:
How do you prove that something did not happen? For this book I adopted two strategies. The first was to make the assumption that two mutually exclusive sets of circumstances cannot coexist in the same time and space. In the case of Vietnam veterans and the anti-war movement, I assumed that those two parties could not have been simultaneously hostile to one another and mutually supportive; anti-war activists could not have been spitting on veterans while at the same time befriending them in off-base coffeehouses. (Jerry Lembcke, The Spitting Image, 1998, pp. 3-4)
Hmmm! A strategy (Funny term to use wouldn't you think, when he could have used 'method'. In the realm of Words Mean Things, not the same inflection of meaning as strategy, which presumes AND suggests a foregone calculated intent) of making "assumptions" from the start. In a public opinion piece...One only logically resorts to that when one is of malevolent intention/s to presuppose an outcome and cannot find FACTS to corroborate his position. It's how he built up his perceived authority of opinion in "debunking" and so all the anti-war folks gravitated to he who said just what they wanted to hear. Embarassing in it's simplicity once revealed. Not unlike how a conspiracy theorist sows the seed of doubt by simply tilling it constantly into the content of his creative writing. To those of us who respect the etymology of words it's a subliminal suggestion "strategy". You see HistorianDude, the more one reads of it, the more one seeking reinforcement for their own beliefs becomes reassured of their position. You had psychology at The Point, so you were already aware of that. I know!

Unfortunately, most people do not read with the circumspection to detail that I do, so the not so obvious becomes obvious to me. Outing deceivers is a avocation of mine, because in forming an informed position on anything it is essential that you are able to discern when someone is attempting to whistle the wind up your posterior orifice!

Old 02-10-2013, 06:14 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,474,011 times
Quote:
Could it be that you fear me opening the door to the real Achille's Heel of your agenda?

No sooner did I mention Lembcke than you started to cower in the corner seeking a way out!
Strange isn't it. Lembcke appears to effectively support your position, yet you NEVER refer to him. Hmmm! WE know why though..., don't we!

Try this on for openers...as very early on in his "debunking"? attempt he says this:

Hmmm! A strategy (Funny term to use wouldn't you think, when he could have used 'method'. In the realm of Words Mean Things, not the same inflection of meaning as strategy, which presumes AND suggests a foregone calculated intent) of making "assumptions" from the start. In a public opinion piece...One only logically resorts to that when one is of malevolent intention/s to presuppose an outcome and cannot find FACTS to corroborate his position. It's how he built up his perceived authority of opinion in "debunking" and so all the anti-war folks gravitated to he who said just what they wanted to hear. Embarassing in it's simplicity once revealed. Not unlike how a conspiracy theorist sows the seed of doubt by simply tilling it constantly into the content of his creative writing. To those of us who respect the etymology of words it's a subliminal suggestion "strategy". You see HistorianDude, the more one reads of it, the more one seeking reinforcement for their own beliefs becomes reassured of their position. You had psychology at The Point, so you were already aware of that. I know!

Unfortunately, most people do not read with the circumspection to detail that I do, so the not so obvious becomes obvious to me. Outing deceivers is a avocation of mine, because in forming an informed position on anything it is essential that you are able to discern when someone is attempting to whistle the wind up your posterior orifice!
OK,so who did you say was spit on? Verifiably spit on?

Old 02-10-2013, 07:13 AM

25,848 posts, read 16,532,741 times
Quote:
So now finally the TRUE feellings come out. They deserved it. Such as...'Straffing those innocent villagers with machine gun fire. How could they?'

There is a reason the old axiom of War is Hell still exists. It's man's ultimate folly to resolve differences with his fellow man, BUT until Man himself has elevated himself to a higher plane of being, meaning morality, it remains the last option. Deal with it!
If you strafe innocent villagers you deserve to be spit on. That was my point. Most didn't do things like that but there were more than a few.

Most did their job to the best of their ability in a totally messed up situation. But the poor leadership and motivation brought out the worst character traits in many people.

Old 02-10-2013, 08:22 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,556,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecking ball View Post
why is asking someone to support their statements something you object to?
Why is rejecting proofs (several have been offered) so high on your agenda?

Why do you object to eyewitness accounts (which in general are held as reliable in the legal system) as being worthless?

Wy do you even object to the mention of such an action? Perhaps because it shows how poorly you and yours have acted in the past?

Old 02-10-2013, 08:26 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,556,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
What does that even mean? Did you leave out a whole sentence?
It means, as stated before, that you will accept nothing that does not support your revisionist historiandude agenda.

Even you should be able to figure that out.

Old 02-10-2013, 08:43 AM

5,261 posts, read 4,156,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
It means, as stated before, that you will accept nothing that does not support your revisionist historiandude agenda.

Even you should be able to figure that out.
Wait, asking that you folks actually document your claims means he will accept nothing? Don't you have to offer something for there to be a chance of acceptance?

Here's my simple advice for the two actual folks here who served in Vietnam and are still upset over their treatment when they got home: Get over it. The same applies to the rest in faux outrage camp who did not serve, have no one close to them who served in Vietnam and who have no idea if any soldier was ever spit upon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies