Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 05:55 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,435,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
Tipping at restaurants = big, pointless, outdated joke.

All an ego trip and an excuse to have someone grovelling.

Solution: abolish the practice + pay higher wages instead.

Don't like it , then just cook for yourself or get another job.

how about it?

It is up to the restaurant.

I don't believe in minimum wages at all, so the very low wages of waitress seems about right to me. I think a restaurant could show itself as less hassle if they had a service charge and no tipping. . .then used a bonus structure to reward good service.

at the end of the day its between the restaurant and the waitress, goverment shouldn't "abolish"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2013, 05:57 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,201,197 times
Quote:

how about it?

how about just incorporating 15% of the bill already into the end check.

Old 02-11-2013, 06:23 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,670,668 times
Quote:

how about it?

No- wages are uniform and independent of service. Tips are variable and given for good service.

Tips can also be under reported to the IRS, allowing the waiter/waitress to have more money in thier pocket. I always tip ZERO on my credit card or on the "chit" at our country club, as those numbers can be traced. We give cash for tips.

I don't think watiers/waitresses "grovel". We know all the waiters/waitresses at our country club on a first name basis. They are very nice people and shoot the breeze about thier kids/our kids, ect...... I guess they make a decent living, based on where they live. We appreciate them and they are paid and tipped well.

Old 02-11-2013, 06:27 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:

This whole tipping game is part of the vile entitlement culture that everyone now expects.
Tipping in the U.S. began at least 150 years ago.

Service 101: A Brief History of Tipping

Old 02-11-2013, 06:37 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
that still doesn't explain why the customer should subsidise the restaurant owner.

Customers thinking in this way are being schmucks.
Customers pay for a portion of everything, including but not limited to the restaurant's rent, insurance, utilities, decor, kitchen, toilet paper and so on. If the restaurant cannot make a profit, it closes its doors. A new restuarant will take its place.

There's no such thing as a free lunch.

Old 02-11-2013, 06:50 AM

724 posts, read 593,446 times
Have any of you ever eaten at a restaurant in europe? The service is terrible compared to here. I'm not saying I couldn't get used to it, because I did when I lived there. It would probably make us less fat for a few reasons. You have to order everything you are going to want all at once, otherwise, they will never come back to your table again other than to drop the bill when they think you should leave. Refills....hahaha...what is that? No more happy laughing waiters, they treat you with a certain amount of distain, because having to work harder when you get there doesn't mean they will make any more money, they just have to work harder. People would have a freaking heart attack if we switched now.

Old 02-11-2013, 08:25 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
Quote:
so how come the good looking girls always get the best tips.

is it really because they are so much better at service, or is it due to something else?
Probably because they are good looking and that automatically makes them more valuable?

Old 02-11-2013, 08:30 AM

389 posts, read 617,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
how about just incorporating 15% of the bill already into the end check.
Gratuity is not the same as an Obamacare surcharge, it goes directly (well, after tip taxes) to earners.

Old 02-11-2013, 08:30 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boycewv View Post
Actually it doesn't give you a choice, if the service is great and the food sucks you have to take it out on your waitress. Let's also be honest even if it is the worse place on earth you still feel guilty if you don't put down 10%

Again, it doesn't matter. I don't tip my dr, mechanic, IT guy, accountant, teacher, police officer, fireman, bus driver, bank teller, etc. It really doesn't make sense. It's called doing your job, you still have a choice...don't go back.
If your food was bad, why would you take it out on the waitress rather than talk to the manager?

I've left a restaurant without tipping due to horrible service on at least a couple occasions. Each time management was made aware of the situation.

Some industries it's the norm to tip while others it's not. Sure, we don't tip a doctor in cash but we thank them by taking them out to dinner. We send our firemen fruit baskets. We "tip" (used loosely) politicians when it comes to writing bills and assessing real estate taxes.

I've always believed a non-tipping custom would be easier. But tipping isn't has horrible as some of you guys are making it.

Old 02-11-2013, 08:39 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,224,629 times
Tipping is abolished . You do not have to tip. That said I would not return to a place where I chose not to tip
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies