Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 12:18 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,462,326 times

Advertisements

Basically, it started as a way for tobacco companies to fight taxes and other initiatives aimed at reducing tobacco consumption.

Study Confirms Tea Party Was Created by Big Tobacco and Billionaires

And contrary to the widespread assumption that the Tea Party only originated as an anti-tax protest movement after Obama became President, a group calling itself "usteaparty.com" went online as early as 2002. Its parent organization, "Citizens for a Sound Economy," is even older -- the Koch brothers created it way back in 1984.

Of course the true believers will continue to insist that the TP isn't "astroturf" at all, and that the above-referenced study is flawed because it was commissioned by an arm of the National Institutes of Health. But it looks to me like all you proud, ruggedly individualistic, "don't tread on me" types are really just a bunch of unpaid lobbyists for the tobacco and energy industries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2013, 12:33 PM

6,331 posts, read 5,210,320 times
I definitely think the tea party has a hidden agenda, but this smacks of tin foil conspiracy theory.

Old 02-12-2013, 12:38 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,828,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
Basically, it started as a way for tobacco companies to fight taxes and other initiatives aimed at reducing tobacco consumption.

And contrary to the widespread assumption that the Tea Party only originated as an anti-tax protest movement after Obama became President, a group calling itself "usteaparty.com" went online as early as 2002. Its parent organization, "Citizens for a Sound Economy," is even older -- the Koch brothers created it way back in 1984.

Of course the true believers will continue to insist that the TP isn't "astroturf" at all, and that the above-referenced study is flawed because it was commissioned by an arm of the National Institutes of Health. But it looks to me like all you proud, ruggedly individualistic, "don't tread on me" types are really just a bunch of unpaid lobbyists for the tobacco and energy industries.
Ahhh...the tea party had something to do with Boston no? Before it became part of taxachusetts.

Old 02-12-2013, 12:39 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,462,326 times
Well, the usteaparty.com website is on the Internet Archive, and its affiliation with CSE is clearly stated.

Old 02-12-2013, 12:39 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
That is lie say the anti vietnam war movemnet was formed by those who did not want to be fdrafted andf leve it at that. Not a tex party meber but I think its gowth was from people aginst continued taxing and spemdinga larger and larger share of GDP. Ist really more a movement who endorce candidates and actully much more active on state bases than federal now.It goes back quite a ways in states.

Old 02-12-2013, 12:40 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,127,593 times
The Tea Party Protested with guns. Maybe Occupy should go Occupy something with guns. Just make sure to get the permits first.

Old 02-28-2013, 06:47 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,241,253 times
This is how and where the new tea party comes up with their ideas.

Old 02-28-2013, 06:57 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,174,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post

You fail to understand that there is not just ONE "tea party" . They are all separate entities.

Old 02-28-2013, 07:06 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,205,160 times
But the truth is that none of those "separate entities" would have been able to organize rallies, or transport members, or run campaigns and candidates, or do any press beyond press releases without big bucks from the corporate groups listed above. He who controls the pocket book controls the agenda....no matter how "grassroots" you want to claim those groups are.

Old 02-28-2013, 07:23 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,111,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
This is how and where the new tea party comes up with their ideas.

^^^^

Couldn't have said it better myself. "CUT TAXES!!!! But not if it affects me!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies