Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2013, 12:23 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,264,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Isn't it also in the government's best interest that low-end wages NOT fall to level which qualify worker for entitlement assistance, as well as to promote marriage which hinders entitlement assistance?
Yes and no. It isn't good for a society to have a large income gap, but that has no effect on wages. We all start somewhere.

Quote:
One of my first jobs was a summer job literally flippinng burgers and while there I decided I never wanted to manage burger flippers.

What opportunities exist for a burger flipper who doesn't want to manage other burger flippers?
Plenty, but even if that were not the case it wouldn't matter. The only thing that is important is having the freedom to choose. Take illegal immigrants for example, they really have two choices in life. One is to stay in Mexico or another S.American country and not work or risk their life to sneak into America and work for below market wages. They may not have good choices in life, but they choose the best option available to them.

Quote:
It hurts the nonworking poor, and increases the relative value of work over non-work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
It doesn't increase the value of work over non work. All the social programs, like welfare and food stamps, are adjusted according to the cost of living, the poverty level, and inflation. In just a short time, when all the prices of all the basic necessities have increased to make up for the increased costs to businesses, the "nonworking poor" will get their increases too.
^^^ This.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2013, 12:34 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
It doesn't increase the value of work over non work. All the social programs, like welfare and food stamps, are adjusted according to the cost of living, the poverty level, and inflation. In just a short time, when all the prices of all the basic necessities have increased to make up for the increased costs to businesses, the "nonworking poor" will get their increases too.

Since when does welfare pay more when minimum wage goes up?

And there are many poor people not on welfare.

Old 02-28-2013, 12:39 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,954,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake
So how exactly will they have more money to spend when prices will simply rise in order to offset the increase in wages?
According to “The Effect of Minimum Wage on Prices,” from the University of Leicester, a 10% increase in the minimum wage would increase overall prices by no more than 0.4%.

Old 02-28-2013, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post

^^^ This.

Since when do welfare benefits go up with minimum wage?

And how do the nonworking nonwelfare poor get more?

Old 02-28-2013, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Since when do welfare benefits go up with minimum wage?

And how do the nonworking nonwelfare poor get more?
Welfare, all welfare, is tied to inflation and the cost of living. SNAP, TANF, SS, etc. will all go up. Additionally, when the minimum wage is raised the poverty line is raised as well.

The nonworking nonwelfare don't get more, they are further disenfranchised. Take a poor kid growing up in the ghetto in Louisiana, he isn't going to get a good education and may even drop out of school. By raising the min wage you are telling the company that they cannot hire the kid unless his productivity and value is worth at least the min wage. This further inhibits his ability to gain job skills.

Old 02-28-2013, 12:57 PM

277 posts, read 228,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
According to “The Effect of Minimum Wage on Prices,” from the University of Leicester, a 10% increase in the minimum wage would increase overall prices by no more than 0.4%.
hmmm a paper written in 2004 based on an asumption

Old 02-28-2013, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Welfare, all welfare, is tied to inflation and the cost of living. SNAP, TANF, SS, etc. will all go up. Additionally, when the minimum wage is raised the poverty line is raised as well.

The nonworking nonwelfare don't get more, they are further disenfranchised. Take a poor kid growing up in the ghetto in Louisiana, he isn't going to get a good education and may even drop out of school. By raising the min wage you are telling the company that they cannot hire the kid unless his productivity and value is worth at least the min wage. This further inhibits his ability to gain job skills.

I've never heard of SNAP automatically going up with minimum wage; when income increases, SNAP benefits fall, a good thing, right? And the kid now has a greater incentive to stay in school and get good grades.

Do you have a better way to maintain the purchasing power of adults earning minimum wage? EITC doesn't cut it, since a childless adult working full time at minimum wage does not qualify for EITC.

Old 02-28-2013, 01:08 PM

Quote:
I've never heard of SNAP automatically going up with minimum wage; when income increases, SNAP benefits fall, a good thing, right? And the kid now has a greater incentive to stay in school and get good grades.

Do you have a better way to maintain the purchasing power of adults earning minimum wage? EITC doesn't cut it, since a childless adult working full time at minimum wage does not qualify for EITC.
Not min wage, but inflation.

• Adjust benefit amounts in a timely manner; while the benefit allotment is adjusted for inflation each year, the increases come only after a time lag, so the allotment reflects not current prices but the prices of the (already inadequate) Thrifty Food Plan from between four and 16 months earlier;
Strengthening SNAP in the 2013 Farm Bill « Food Research & Action Center

Don't earn min wage and improve your skills. Nobody stays in min wage forever. A few years ago I was making min wage and in 2 months was promoted. 5 months after that I was making almost 2X min wage and commission. My checks were around $3K/month, not bad for a 18 yr old. I wasn't working in fast food though.

Old 02-28-2013, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Don't earn min wage and improve your skills. Nobody stays in min wage forever. A few years ago I was making min wage and in 2 months was promoted. 5 months after that I was making almost 2X min wage and commission. My checks were around $3K/month, not bad for a 18 yr old. I wasn't working in fast food though.

And HowTF does that work for someone who can't afford education or training and who is over 50 and therefore vulnerable to employment age issues?

Some workplaces have no meaningful promotion path; mine is one of them. (I would have to wait for my boss to leave/be replaced, and I don't expect that to happen for at least another decade.)

Old 02-28-2013, 01:18 PM

277 posts, read 228,849 times
Quote:
And HowTF does that work for someone who can't afford education or training and who is over 50 and therefore vulnerable to employment age issues?

Some workplaces have no meaningful promotion path; mine is one of them.

hey troop, man up
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies