Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2013, 02:27 PM

1,496 posts, read 1,855,989 times

Advertisements

In Britain, if you are a full time worker you are entitled to 28 days paid holiday time no matter what your job is. The McDonalds worker gets 28 days. And that's how it should be.All workers are respected. And all business have to play under the same rules,thus it doesn't give one business an advantage over another.

Even British conservatives approve of this system. They believe that a well rested and rejuvenated work force is a better work force. If you work you are contributing to society and you should be entitled to the same benefits of all workers. Work in Britain is seen as honorable.

It's the opposite in the US. Someone can work 60 hours a week and never receive vacation time. Full time workers are guaranteed zero paid vacation time. When you tell this to someone in Britain they are shocked. My family over there are conservatives and they are shocked.

Not only that, the way some Americans treat low-wage workers is pretty shocking. Some Americans feel it is okay to denigrate low-wage workers because of what they do for employment. There have been plenty of disparaging comments on these forums about min wage workers. I won't recite them all. But this forum is not unique. Go over to yelp.com and read reviews. It won't take you long to find some where the reviewer feels the need to denigrate the "min-wager" making his/her order or providing them a service.

I feel there is a general disrespect some Americans have for workers.When I was in college I had several different working class jobs. One of them was working for my Uncle's landscape business. I remember one time the woman whose home we were working on was trying to get my attention and addressed me as "hey, lawn guy". I turned to her and said "lawn guy? That's not how you address me." and I walked away. She was pretty incensed and caught up to me and said "exscuse me?" I then explained to her that she could address me by either my name which was Al, or by sir, or that even young man would do. But that I wasn't to be addressed as lawn guy.

This woman wasn't wealthy. A rich person would never refer to someone working on their home as "lawn guy". She lived in a middle class home and perhaps she had not been in the middle class for very long. Maybe she had the attitude that since she was now in the middle class it gave her the authority to look down on anyone who wasn't. Or like a lot of people on here maybe she thought that since she made it why couldn't everyone else?

This is just one example out of hundreds I experienced. The conservative middle class in this country in general has a disdain for the manual labor class. This is why they are so against raising the min-wage and guaranteed vacation time. It's not the rich people in the country that are against these things. It's the conservative middle-class who are only in the middle-class because they have been able to take advantage of the manual labor class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2013, 02:28 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,112,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
None of my employers have offered benefits, so where's the excuse?
I don't see how you could work your entire life with never being at a job that offers some kind of benefits, either paid or unpaid. My first job that offered benefits was when I was 18 and worked as a bank teller.

Old 03-16-2013, 02:29 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,112,361 times
Quote:
Some do, some don't. The one for whom I worked didn't. Min wage jobs have little competitive pressure to provide benefits, plenty of cheap labor available.

I still don't see how you have any right whatsoever to complain about your lot in life. If you don't like your position, change it. Do something. It takes more energy to complain on end than it does to figure something out and proceed.

Old 03-16-2013, 03:13 PM

2,256 posts, read 2,131,343 times
Quote:
A married couple making $10/hr each isn't poor. It's primarily the underclass popping out the kids.
That IS poor. A family making 40k a year combined is poor.

Lol... Throw in a kid or two and then it is worse.

People have this weird idea that they aren't poor. I and my wife were both cna's in Indiana around the 10 mark. We definitely were poor. And we lived in an area that was not so expensive.

Then ensuing child complicated things, my wife's serious illness and eventual passing was the equivalent of a nuclear bomb on any attempt to live a normal life.

10 dollars is not enough to live on properly. It required 2 jobs, massive support from friends and 3 years of 3-4 hours of sleep a night to claw out of that hellish existence.

Things many minimum wage earners just aren't willing to do...

Old 03-16-2013, 10:39 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
I still don't see how you have any right whatsoever to complain about your lot in life. If you don't like your position, change it. Do something. It takes more energy to complain on end than it does to figure something out and proceed.

Well I'd like to take a few classes but can't afford it, so the subsidy kids (with financial or parental aid) will take the classes and get the jobs.

Old 03-16-2013, 10:49 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,143,759 times
Quote:
Well I'd like to take a few classes but can't afford it, so the subsidy kids (with financial or parental aid) will take the classes and get the jobs.
I thought you said you had student loans and a degree?

Old 03-16-2013, 11:06 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
I thought you said you had student loans and a degree?

I do have student loans and a degree but it's a worthless liberal arts degree. A liberal arts
degree without career-related experience has a five-year shelf life, after that it is useless in the opinion of most employers.

So for practical purposes I have only debt.

Old 03-17-2013, 03:41 AM

1,496 posts, read 1,855,989 times
Quote:
I do have student loans and a degree but it's a worthless liberal arts degree. A liberal arts
degree without career-related experience has a five-year shelf life, after that it is useless in the opinion of most employers.

So for practical purposes I have only debt.
a liberal arts degree is not worthless.

Many employers aren't that concerned what your major was unless you are applying for a job that requires a particular degree. I used to do hiring for a company and hired a lot of Liberal Arts majors.

Old 03-17-2013, 05:12 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,202,662 times
The op is ......
"minimum wage isn't meant to be a living wage"
The argument advances to "minmum wage isn't a living wage"
C-D's own most 'vocal' 'minimum- wage- earner- for- life complainer' proves that minimum wage can and does provide a living wage.
He is fed,sheltered, clothed (we assume)must have transportation of some sort to get to and from work aqnd even has a computer and internet access.....ergo....he is 'living' with the basics. If he can do it what with all his negativity, so can anyone.

As an aside, in this case he somehow can't save one penny but has managed to accumulate $11,000 worth of merchandise to resell.
Either there's a bit of truth stretching going on here or he's finding an unbelievable amount of great items by dumpster diving or is stealing.
Curious....accumulating but not selling......indicative of something?

Old 03-17-2013, 06:27 AM

3,022 posts, read 2,274,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
I can not speak for freemkt because I do not know his situation but many people just can not do more then min wage jobs. Just saying if you do not like your situation just change it works for some people but no everybody.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies