Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2013, 10:27 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
Waiters get less than minimum plus tips so I guess it is possible.
Basic and tips have to minimally achieve Minimum Wage.

I also wondered about migrant workers, whose wage is exempt from federal law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2013, 10:31 AM

10,581 posts, read 9,783,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
We don't have a pure capitalist system--we have a mixed economy, where SOME government intervention is appropriate
Not appropriate. They just do it anyway.

Old 02-14-2013, 10:46 AM

Quote:
By the time you reach 65, you have had an entire lifetime to prepare for a life with no income. Your savings and investments should be funding your retirement. The majority of the actual "wealth" in this country is controlled by SENIORS. If you retire with nothing, then you have no one to blame but your own poor choices. You should have skipped those trips around the world or stopped bailing out your deadbeat kids.
This majority of actual wealth is held by relatively few individuals. That wealth includes the holdings of most U.S. billionaires.

A heck of a lot of folk never made enough to keep their head above water, let alone plan for retirement. And they certainly were not traveling the world or bailing out their kids, no different than the WW2 generation that preceeded them.

Old 02-14-2013, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post

Not appropriate. They just do it anyway.
Government intervention did more than anything else to lift people out of poverty and into the middle class. Nations with minimal/no government intervention tend to be third world with the greatest income inequalities amongst their populations.

Old 02-14-2013, 10:56 AM

2,198 posts, read 2,734,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Brings to mind a pic I once saw.

A fast-food manager is talking to his crew, a dozen or so people standing around him.

He says:

"I have good news, and I have bad news.

"The good news is, the new minimum-wage law says I have to pay you more.

"The bad news is, I can't afford that, so two of you are fired."

Word.
Did the demand for fast food decrease because of the increase in minimum wage? No.

So then we can assume that you're of the belief that an increase in minimum wage results in increased efficiency of businesses.

You just argued for an increase in the minimum wage without realizing it.

Old 02-14-2013, 10:56 AM

6,175 posts, read 12,939,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
It will only affect less than 5 % of workers since a lot of states already have higher minimum wages than are federally mandated. That's not going to make "costs for everything rise." Most jobs in the U.S. are not union jobs, I believe it's around 10 %.
So you think that minimum wage jobs exist in a vacuum, and that raising that minimum wage isn't going to affect other jobs and the economy as a whole?

The current federal minimum wage is $7.25 per hour. What happens to the people who have been working for a year or two, and have recently been promoted to a position that pays $8.75 per hour, when the starting wage is increased to $9.00? Well, of course those people are going to feel that they should get paid more than the new hires in those starting positions, right? To keep them at the same percentage above the starting wage, you need to increase those $8.75 jobs to about $10.80. That increase will work it's way up the ladder. What about the company that already pays more than the minimum wage because they know they will attract & retain better and more reliable employees that way? To continue attracting those better employees, will they not have to increase their wages as well? All those increases come out of the business's bottom line. The cost of the goods being produced or the service being provided goes up. that increase is almost always going to be passed on the the consumer in the form of a higher price for the product or service. Why do you think this will not happen?

Old 02-14-2013, 10:57 AM

Quote:

The only people that should be qualifying for food stamps are those that have ZERO job only. If you can't survive on $7/hr then you should be sharing your living space.
That's your point of view. We all have should be's.

Low income people have been qualifying for Snap benefits since the program began. I have no recollection of any bill that sought to limit eligibility to people with no income. Do you?

Assuming such a bill was introduced it apparently died due to lack of bipartisan support.

Old 02-14-2013, 11:00 AM

2,198 posts, read 2,734,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Public Libraries

Free public libraries holding information on any subject you can think of studying. No need to thank me.
It should work that way, but it doesn't. Information and skills you teach yourself are not admissible in the court of job interviews. It doesn't matter what you know, it matters who you can get to sign off on your claim of knowing something.

Old 02-14-2013, 11:01 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,171,657 times
You are not responsible or smart enough to have a wife and 2 kids if you think minimum wage is going to be enough to support your family.

If you can only get a minimum wage you shouldn't be starting a family.

I agree,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashed Potatoes View Post
Well last night the dumbass called for raising the minimum wage to a "livable wage".

Where do these morons get the notion that minimum wage is meant to be a living wage? It is an ENTRY level wage, it's not something meant to support your family on.

Minimum wage is for low to no skilled workers, nothing more nothing less. This is just another tactic designed to increase the costs incurred by business owners and will result on a net loss of jobs if this jackass gets his way.
Oboma care and a desire to increase the minimum wage is anti business and will drive up inflation for everyone.

If the minimum wage goes up as it does the rest of us just took a pay cut.

Old 02-14-2013, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
So you think that minimum wage jobs exist in a vacuum, and that raising that minimum wage isn't going to affect other jobs and the economy as a whole?

The current federal minimum wage is $7.25 per hour. What happens to the people who have been working for a year or two, and have recently been promoted to a position that pays $8.75 per hour, when the starting wage is increased to $9.00? Well, of course those people are going to feel that they should get paid more than the new hires in those starting positions, right? To keep them at the same percentage above the starting wage, you need to increase those $8.75 jobs to about $10.80. That increase will work it's way up the ladder. What about the company that already pays more than the minimum wage because they know they will attract & retain better and more reliable employees that way? To continue attracting those better employees, will they not have to increase their wages as well? All those increases come out of the business's bottom line. The cost of the goods being produced or the service being provided goes up. that increase is almost always going to be passed on the the consumer in the form of a higher price for the product or service. Why do you think this will not happen?
I like the way you framed this, Bill. I think many who advocate for increased minimums think, for example, the Walton family is going to take it out of their pocket, instead of increasing prices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies