Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2013, 09:41 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Any worker with a good work ethic and marketable skills should be able to make a living in Texas. That's what I'm saying.
I do agree that at some point, if it's not working out where you are, you have to look for greener pastures. Lots of those people who left Pittsburgh did not come back. However, there are many things to consider, e.g. family support, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2013, 09:43 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I agree on both counts in your first sentence. I've seen that in hospitals since the 70s. I just disagree that it causes people to leave their jobs for another. Maybe in high tech in the 90s for the young singles, and the very aggressive.
My sister has been doing it in nursing. She doesn't have kids so it's quite easy to pick up and move.
She's still getting sign on bonuses and this last job paid for her move to another state.

If the offer is good enough, people will move.

Old 02-17-2013, 09:51 AM

Quote:
I do agree that at some point, if it's not working out where you are, you have to look for greener pastures. Lots of those people who left Pittsburgh did not come back. However, there are many things to consider, e.g. family support, etc.
There's lots that don't move for emotional reasons even though they know they'd be better off financially if they did.

If you cannot make it where you live financially then you need to move.
Being near family doesn't make it better in many cases.

And on the otherhand you have those retired folks that follow their kids all over the country and end up in financial trouble for the same emotional reasons..family trumps finances.

Old 02-17-2013, 09:59 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
There's lots that don't move for emotional reasons even though they know they'd be better off financially if they did.

If you cannot make it where you live financially then you need to move.
Being near family doesn't make it better in many cases.

And on the otherhand you have those retired folks that follow their kids all over the country and end up in financial trouble for the same emotional reasons..family trumps finances.
Family can provide a lot of help you'd have to pay for otherwise, e.g. babysitting, etc. Decisions to move have to be taken carefully. I don't know as the minimum wage earner is any better off moving elsewhere.

Old 02-17-2013, 10:07 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Having worked in HR and staffing for about fifteen years I can tell you that the vast majority of workers with a good work ethic move quickly out of the "minimum wage or close to it" bracket - even TEMPS that are hired through staffing companies! Heck, I worked for a very good staffing company who wouldn't even work for companies that paid minimum wage because if we did have them as customers, we weren't able to attract quality employees.

Work hard, work smart and you won't be working for minimum wage for long.

Old 02-17-2013, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Family can provide a lot of help you'd have to pay for otherwise, e.g. babysitting, etc. Decisions to move have to be taken carefully. I don't know as the minimum wage earner is any better off moving elsewhere.
Min wage goes a lot further in low COL states then high COL states.
The same can be said for cities within the state.

NY has city, state and fed taxes. If you commute into NYC then you also have a "commuter tax".
TX has fed taxes.

The min wage worker in Texas takes home more than that min wage worker in New York every week.

Old 02-17-2013, 10:45 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I've flipped burgers (literally), delivered pizzas, and worked in convenience stores. In these dead-end jobs, what skills, knowledge, and experience can be obtained to qualify one for a real job?

And I see this as a bad thing because people who need to work minimum wage jobs for a living will be undercut by subsidy kids (teens living at home who don't need to make a living, and college students working for beer money who also don't need to work for a living).
oh please

for 2 years everything is an excuse with you

cant do it...no money/..no experience...bad parents...its the landlords fault....etc

let's see you flipped burgers.....you LEARNED cooking, cleaning, cleaning grease traps, sanitizing, changing frying oil, how to hook up a soda head, stocking, what is frozen/refrigerated......plus hundreads of more tasks

you worked at a pizza joint...you delivered...during you time between deliveries did you learn how to make a sauce...some dough...temp of an oven...how to grate cheese...proper way to sclice... maybe service to the eat in customers......and many more

convience store...like a deli....you learned stock, inventory control, product placement, loss prevention...income/debt....and hundreads more tasks

too bad everything is an excuse to you

Last edited by workingclasshero; 02-17-2013 at 11:16 AM..

Old 02-17-2013, 10:49 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I noted earlier that these figures are misleading. These numbers include those who make less than minimum wage. Wait staff make less than minimum wage but after figuring in tips many make way over minimum wage.
correct...which means its even LOWER of a percent of people making min wage

Old 02-17-2013, 11:57 AM

2,198 posts, read 2,735,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Dang, if I was the worker making $10 and the workers below me - presumably with fewer skills, less experience, etc got a raise and I didn't - I'd be TICKED OFF. I'd be looking for another job - and the restaurant would lose it's most valuable worker.

See how that works?
Why are you so worried about what someone else is making? Republicans call that class warfare.

Who is going to hire you? Fast food employers are laying off a bunch of people because of the increase in minimum wage right?

See how that works?

I'm sure they'll manage. If you can get more money somewhere else, then you should look into that regardless of whether your coworker is now making $9/hour. If not, you might just have to suck it up.

And you're living in la la land if you think everyone gets paid what they're worth without minimum wage. That scenario happens all the time now, at every workplace. People making $50,000 a year find out their lazy coworker who is late all the time, produces shoddy work, spends half the day posting on city-data, who has been there half as long, is making $48,000 a year. Or maybe even $52,000 a year. That's an issue everywhere, regardless of minimum wage.

I always find it funny and strange when people are concerned about what their coworkers are making. Better to worry about your own job and salary rather than wanting your coworkers to make less money so that you can feel better about yourself.

Old 02-17-2013, 12:14 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneOnegin View Post
Quote:
Why are you so worried about what someone else is making? Republicans call that class warfare.
Oh, I'm not worried. I've never had to ponder another person's salary for very long, because if I didn't like the disparity between pay ranges, I'd leave and work elsewhere. That's only been an issue once by the way in my twenty plus years of working. And it was very interesting how quickly I was offered quite a bit more money to stay once the issue came to light (with my resignation letter). I didn't stay though - life's too short to work where I'm not appreciated.

My time, however, is suddenly worth more than $10 an hour if suddenly the entry level person's time is worth more than it was five minutes ago. I intend to be paid what I'm worth. By the way, this is totally hypothetical since the last time I made $10 was when I was about 19. Over thirty years ago. Oh wait - I take that back - I worked a part time job for six months twenty years ago for $10 an hour over Christmas (retail). Guess what happened? I waited on a local businessman who later contacted me and offered me a job which tripled my income immediately. WOOHOO!

Quote:
Who is going to hire you? Fast food employers are laying off a bunch of people because of the increase in minimum wage right?

See how that works?
Well, thanks for highlighting that raising the minimum wage actually raised unemployment rates. I was going to do that, but you did it for me. SWEET!

Quote:
I always find it funny and strange when people are concerned about what their coworkers are making. Better to worry about your own job and salary rather than wanting your coworkers to make less money so that you can feel better about yourself.
I take it you don't have a problem then with those CEO/upper management salaries and bonuses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies