Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 10:28 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,683,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
First, they argued that there was no violation of anyone’s protected rights in a law that entirely bans homeschooling. There would only be a problem if Germany banned homeschooling for some but permitted it for others.Now in reality, Germany does permit some people to homeschool, but it is rare and in general Germany does ban homeschooling broadly—although not completely. (Germany allows exemptions from compulsory attendance for Gypsies and those whose jobs require constant travel. Those who want to stay at home and teach their own children are always denied.)……There are two major portions of constitutional rights of citizens—fundamental liberties and equal protection. The U.S. Attorney General has said this about homeschooling. There is no fundamental liberty to homeschool. So long as a government bans homeschooling broadly and equally, there is no violation of your rights. This is a view which gives some acknowledgement to the principle of equal protection but which entirely jettisons the concept of fundamental liberties.
Parents should have a right to control how their child is educated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2013, 10:37 AM

5,667 posts, read 5,102,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
But, but... that runs counter to Big Brother's plan to indoctrinate our children in "right" thinking. I've already collided with my child's teachers on a number of things, including the propriety of saying "other cultures are of equal value within American borders", that guns are "bad things", and that "real families sometimes do have two parents of the same gender (and it's ok)".

Libs!

I've since pulled her from that school.

Old 02-14-2013, 10:40 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,119,058 times
Quote:
The operative phrase in your sentence is "should" which indicates that even you agree with Holder that there is no right that can be asserted to prevent the government, state or federal from prohibiting home schooling.

And, and despite the overly broad statement, I agree that parents should have the right to choose their child's education, in home education, private or public... which is well below the right to control their education.

Old 02-14-2013, 10:47 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,982,420 times
What Mr. Holder is saying is that there is no U.S. constitutional protection from a state deciding to ban homeschooling, as long as it does not ban it for some but not others. That is certainly within a state's domain to decide as it sees fit. There is no fundamental liberty to homeschool. The issue of whether parents should have a right to control how their child is educated, is a decision rightfully left to the legislature.

Those of you on the right should be cheering "states rights."

Old 02-14-2013, 10:47 AM

2,865 posts, read 3,639,069 times
As long as he doesn't put his beliefs into actions. I think you would see a great underground movement if that happened. There is nothing in the Constitution of the United States of America, that I have read, that compels you to educate your child in a government run school either.

Old 02-14-2013, 10:53 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,982,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DauntlessDan View Post
As long as he doesn't put his beliefs into actions. I think you would see a great underground movement if that happened. There is nothing in the Constitution of the United States of America, that I have read, that compels you to educate your child in a government run school either.
It's in the 10th Amendment:

"The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people."

Old 02-14-2013, 01:53 PM

2,865 posts, read 3,639,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
It's in the 10th Amendment:

"The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people."
And this is NOT one of the powers delegated to the United States.
That allows the states to bring up this legislation and try to pass it, NOT the fed. And it should be a state-to-state thing, NOT a federal thing. That brings it closer to the people. As should a lot of other issues handled by the fed.

Old 02-14-2013, 02:03 PM

20,495 posts, read 12,423,523 times
Quote:
Holder is and always has been a seditionist America Hating traitor.

Those are the nicest things I can day about this dirtbag.

Old 02-14-2013, 02:07 PM

9,240 posts, read 8,683,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
The operative phrase in your sentence is "should" which indicates that even you agree with Holder that there is no right that can be asserted to prevent the government, state or federal from prohibiting home schooling.

And, and despite the overly broad statement, I agree that parents should have the right to choose their child's education, in home education, private or public... which is well below the right to control their education.
Should in meaning a right & for it to be carried out.

Old 02-14-2013, 02:18 PM

15,149 posts, read 8,679,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post

If the state can demand ... even take a child away from a parent for refusing to allow said state to indoctrinate that child with philosophies and beliefs which the parent deems inappropriate or harmful, then the child and the parent are nothing more than property of the state.

Human beings are not anyone's property ... and certainly not property of the state. But according to the statists, we are. People of sound mind who embrace liberty reject such blathering nonsense, and will never submit to it, just as history has shown over and over again. Such imposition of slave like treatment will only be tolerated for a short period of time, and then hell breaks loose, and the master's whip winds up wrapped around his own neck, as well as the necks of his followers and enablers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies