Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 04:43 PM

1,229 posts, read 1,147,309 times

Advertisements

Just how would any of the even most extreme proposed gun or magazine bans have saved Pendelton? How would any ban have stopped any of the crimes? Most of the mass shooters were not known to be mass killers until they became mass killers. Its all smoke and mirrors. It nothing but using tragedy to pass gun bans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2013, 04:49 PM

651 posts, read 705,136 times
It would not have. All it will take is to ban assault weapons and some crazy nut shoot up a school with a pump action shot gun and the left would be crying to ban the nasty assault shot guns. No one needs a pump action shot gun. Then they say no one is coming for your guns, no one. But then they want to ban semi autos. WTF are you talking about Willis?

Old 02-13-2013, 04:50 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,668,392 times
The President is an idiot. But half of America already knew that.

Next?

Old 02-13-2013, 04:51 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,382,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itlltickleurinnerds View Post
Just how would any of the even most extreme proposed gun or magazine bans have saved Pendelton? How would any ban have stopped any of the crimes? Most of the mass shooters were not known to be mass killers until they became mass killers. Its all smoke and mirrors. It nothing but using tragedy to pass gun bans.

Ugh. Here we go with false choices again.

Even if all guns were outlawed, all guns, there would still be gun violence. Enacting laws against anything has never proven to make anything go away entirely.

I'm not in favor of an assault weapons ban, I find it silly that anyone would buy one, but I also find it silly to outlaw an AR15 when my hunting rifle fires a larger round at the same fire rate. The only difference is, I can only load 6 rounds, it can take 50 before a reload.

Limiting magazine size won't end violence, but it can add precious seconds between reloads from some idiot with a gun. Will it work every time? No. But if your purpose is just for hunting sport, or target shooting, reloading more often isn't going to kill you, but it can save a life when seconds count in a mass shooting. Won't end mass shootings, some mass shootings will still have large magazines, but if it saves one life, it doesn't bother me to make you reload more often. I support marijuana legalization, and if it makes it legal, I'll buy it a joint at a time, or a gram at a time, if that makes you feel better.

Forcing background checks allows for better tracking of who is selling guns, and where they are going. 90% of all of the gun crime can be traced back to the same 5 gun dealers. How they get out from that, no one knows, because there is person to person sale. Will a universal background check make all of those sales end? No, but it will help law enforcement find people who are out to do bad things, because legal gun owners won't mind going through a background check to buy their gun. Make them quicker, give pre check licenses if you would, but legal citizens buying legal guns shouldn't mind, right. Thats the argument against illegal aliens and checking their ID in Arizona right? Legal citizens won't mind being checked.

So we have to end this all or nothing approach. There is a level of protection with background checks and limiting magazine sizes. The government isn't coming to your house with infantry that you need a drum mag to fight off.

Old 02-13-2013, 04:57 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,448,604 times
I do not support universal background checks, nor a limit on magazine capacity. Thankfully, Congress will not enact either one since they already know it is unconstitutional.

Old 02-13-2013, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
I do not support universal background checks, nor a limit on magazine capacity. Thankfully, Congress will not enact either one since they already know it is unconstitutional.

Scalia opens door for gun-control legislation, extends slow burning debate | Fox News

Luckily, me nor you get to decide whats unconstitutional. 9 folks who sit on the highest bench in the land do that, and they say, both of the things you are listing are constitutional.

And congress should know that people will vote against them for not giving them what they want. They should get a vote in congress, these proposals. If they are voted down, let the people decide. If they are passed, let the people decide.

Background checks are constitutional, hell we already have them. Same with limiting magazine size. The right to keep and bear arms doesn't say anything about having more then a single shot rifle. Now I'm not that nuts, but if you can't hit your target in 10 rounds, you have a problem, and need to learn to shoot.

Old 02-13-2013, 05:15 PM

1,137 posts, read 971,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Scalia opens door for gun-control legislation, extends slow burning debate | Fox News

Luckily, me nor you get to decide whats unconstitutional. 9 folks who sit on the highest bench in the land do that, and they say, both of the things you are listing are constitutional.

And congress should know that people will vote against them for not giving them what they want. They should get a vote in congress, these proposals. If they are voted down, let the people decide. If they are passed, let the people decide.

Background checks are constitutional, hell we already have them. Same with limiting magazine size. The right to keep and bear arms doesn't say anything about having more then a single shot rifle. Now I'm not that nuts, but if you can't hit your target in 10 rounds, you have a problem, and need to learn to shoot.
The supreme court stopped adhering to the Constitution a very long time ago, that is why a majority of their votes come down strictly along party lines.

Why not rely on the words of the 2nd Amendment instead of having 9 jackasses in robes "interpret" what it says according to their political ideology.

Old 02-13-2013, 05:18 PM

71 posts, read 60,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post

Now I'm not that nuts, but if you can't hit your target in 10 rounds, you have a problem, and need to learn to shoot.
Do you think targets stand still? Not far from where I live there was a home invasion with four men breaking through the front door. When adrenaline is pumping, shots are flying your way, and there are multiple targets, I want to have more firepower than the criminals trying to harm my family.

How about in the case of a natural disaster or a terrorist attack that collapses our local society, and I need to protect my resources, like water, food, etc. do you not remember the raping and pillaging after hurricane Katrina?

Old 02-13-2013, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlandochuck View Post
Do you think targets stand still? Not far from where I live there was a home invasion with four men breaking through the front door. When adrenaline is pumping, shots are flying your way, and there are multiple targets, I want to have more firepower than the criminals trying to harm my family.
I can hit a flying dove with a 20 guage shot gun, full speed, at 50 yards. What, you can't shoot?

Old 02-13-2013, 05:19 PM

29,468 posts, read 14,639,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
i would like to think this but look what happened in NY, and CO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies