Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 11:11 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,252,123 times

Advertisements

There was a report this morning that the Republicans are seriously considering the filibuster on the Hagel nomination.

I'm really trying to understand what this is all about, and i don't really believe any of the nonsense i'm hearing from the media on this issue.

What's the beef here? Why are Republicans going so hard at a fellow Republican, and on whose behalf are they doing this on? Saying that it's the Israeli lobby just doesn't make any sense, and i can hardly believe that Republicans are that stupid. They can't possibly want to block a nomination to the SecDef job over opposition to comments about Israel. There has to be something else there because this seems to be getting personal.

And really, what's the endgame? If they successfully block Hagel, then who and what do they want? Do they really believe that Obama is going to take their recommendations on a nominee after they topedo HIS nominee? Because i think Obama is gonna be in a pretty vindictive mood after something like that. Not to mention that the well will be poisoned for any future legislation.

I'm just trying to understand why the Republicans think this is a fight worth having when to me, it looks like the last fight you'd want to have. They've already embarrassed and belittled him at his hearing, and he groveled like a beaten dog. So why dig in some more? What do they gain from it?

Oh well..what say you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2013, 11:13 AM

8,982 posts, read 10,473,219 times
Revenge for November.

Old 02-12-2013, 11:14 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,252,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
Revenge for November.
Well if that's the case, why not use that revenge card on a nominee that's a liberal Democrat going for some other open cabinet position? To me, that seems like a better fight to pick than this one.

Old 02-12-2013, 11:16 AM

15,542 posts, read 10,528,971 times
I have no idea, but I was shocked at what a dumba$$ he was at the hearings.

Old 02-12-2013, 11:17 AM

3,045 posts, read 5,252,751 times
If Obama is for it, the Republican leadership is against it, and the rest of the Republicans follow in lockstep.

See what happened to the REPUBLICAN IDEA of the Individual Mandate as part of the Affordable Care Act.

Old 02-12-2013, 11:17 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,503,603 times
Hagel is a 'turncoat' in the eyes of the GOP. One of the things the GOP Senators are pissed-off about is he endorsed Democrat Bob Kerrey for the open Senate seat in Nebraska in the last election. He's a 'moderate' in a GOP climate where right-wing extremism is becoming the norm. Moderates are being expelled from the party wherever possible.

Old 02-12-2013, 11:20 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,952,734 times
Fellow Republicans need to "bloody him up" so Obama doesn't have bragging rights on reaching across the Isle to seek qualified candidates.

Has nothing to do with Hagel...sad to say. I doubt very much the committee would block an appointment of a nominee with the same stands as Hagel form the Democratic side.

Old 02-12-2013, 11:21 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,841,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
There was a report this morning that the Republicans are seriously considering the filibuster on the Hagel nomination.

I'm really trying to understand what this is all about, and i don't really believe any of the nonsense i'm hearing from the media on this issue.

What's the beef here? Why are Republicans going so hard at a fellow Republican, and on whose behalf are they doing this on? Saying that it's the Israeli lobby just doesn't make any sense, and i can hardly believe that Republicans are that stupid. They can't possibly want to block a nomination to the SecDef job over opposition to comments about Israel. There has to be something else there because this seems to be getting personal.

And really, what's the endgame? If they successfully block Hagel, then who and what do they want? Do they really believe that Obama is going to take their recommendations on a nominee after they topedo HIS nominee? Because i think Obama is gonna be in a pretty vindictive mood after something like that. Not to mention that the well will be poisoned for any future legislation.

I'm just trying to understand why the Republicans think this is a fight worth having when to me, it looks like the last fight you'd want to have. They've already embarrassed and belittled him at his hearing, and he groveled like a beaten dog. So why dig in some more? What do they gain from it?

Oh well..what say you?
He is a RINO traitor.

Old 02-12-2013, 11:23 AM

39,096 posts, read 51,300,952 times
It has to be about money. The defense industry does not like him for some reason and the Republicans do the lifting for the defense industry.

Old 02-12-2013, 11:23 AM

5,944 posts, read 5,590,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post

Oh well..what say you?

From what I understand, no cabinet nomination has ever been filibustered. But then, the pubs in the senate have set all time records on filibusters over the past four years. They've gone totally psycho and fear the lunatic fringe in their own party, so they feel like the have to oppose any move the president makes.

I hope they do it. I want to see these fools dig themselves in so deep they'll never see daylight again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies