Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2013, 09:29 AM

734 posts, read 932,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
You are quick to speak about the Africans in your school that had issues, but you are angry when people give them credit for what they have accomplished here in the U.S. Again, it is apparent that African accomplishments in the U.S. upset you. Seriously, why are you so angry and hateful?
I'm not trying to toot my own horn, but there's absolutely no reason for me to be angry about the "accomplishments" of immigrants in the U.S., because I (along with my family), have already secured the necessary resources to ensure a successful and comfortable lifestyle. I was merely pointing out that it's hard for me to respect educated Nigerians, Kenyans, Haitians, Ethiopians, etc., who reside in the U.S., when many of them don't even think enough about their own homelands to stay and develop their countries of origin.

In truth, it's relatively easy for immigrant children of color to succeed in the U.S. because the foundation is already set up. At a minimum, if their children simply stay away from drugs and crime, and complete H.S. and college, they can (in many instances) still have access to employment opportunities. Those who are bright, often take it a step further and become their own bosses, and in many instances enjoy a very good standard of living, that they wouldn't have access to in their native lands.

I think the main point of contention (between you and I) stems from the fact that I do not praise educated African immigrants, because in truth, I view the bulk of them (who refuse to contribute to the African continent) as wasted human capital. At the end of the day, I'm happy that some find success in the U.S., but I can't help thinking, how far along their native country would be, if they spent half of their efforts trying to develop their own homeland.

Again, I realize that it's so much easier to simply move to a nation, where the infrastructure, government, laws and social services are already in existence, but sooner or later, any smart person will ask, Why don't you see the potential in your own homeland? This is the million dollar question, that no one wants to address.

Also, I understand that many give money back to their homeland, but in all honesty, you can give a man a fish, and he will eat for a day, or you can teach a man how to fish and feed him for a lifetime. I believe in teaching people how to fish, and the only way to do this is to lead by example. This is the number one issue facing blacks all over the world. So many of us, (once we become educated) do little to improve the conditions of others, that are not as fortunate as we are. I've seen with my own eyes, how much people can accomplish once you expose them to new concepts and ideas. If anything, I'm angered by the fact that so called "educated" individuals have a very difficult time grasping this basic concept!

Last edited by Lilly1224; 02-23-2013 at 10:06 AM..

Old 02-23-2013, 09:56 AM

734 posts, read 932,896 times
Given the vast natural resources of South Africa, I wish most of the indigenous Africans were living like this:

But many of the brilliant Africans fled, therefore, this is the sad reality (after apartheid) for the bulk of the indigenous South African population:

Old 02-23-2013, 12:08 PM

40 posts, read 42,475 times
Obviously the U.S. accepts the cream of the crop when it comes to Africans the same way they do with Asians. I travel to China often where theres a large population of Africans and they have a reputation for being drug dealers, scammers, and criminals. The Chinese locals have little tolerance for Africans but have to accept their presence due to Africa/China trade relations.

Old 02-23-2013, 12:34 PM

40 posts, read 42,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly1224 View Post
Given the vast natural resources of South Africa, I wish most of the indigenous Africans were living like this:

But many of the brilliant Africans fled, therefore, this is the sad reality (after apartheid) for the bulk of the indigenous South African population:
Your post reminded me of a series I watched on youtube called blacks without borders. It showcases how Black Americans are moving to South Africa and prospering. How is it that Black Americans can prosper there while black south africans live mostly in poverty? Even when black south africans have their own country and government that they control?

1/7 Blacks Without Borders - YouTube

Old 02-23-2013, 03:27 PM

6,084 posts, read 6,044,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
I believe that my previous posts in this thread have adequately expressed my opinion on the topic so I will politely decline.
In the spirit of politeness, I don't mind continuing with our conversation, so if you're up for it we can discuss further via DM.

Old 02-23-2013, 03:48 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
Why is it people who come from Europe to live in the US they seem to do so much better than people in Appalachia? They seem to be more educated, they don't cook meth, get hooked on Oxycontin, or stay on welfare, or get pregnant before high school.
One difference is the Europeans still have their own teeth.

( Yeah, I know. My bad)

The greater Chicago area has a substantial Polish immigration population. Generally speaking, they seem to posess a different attitude than many native born Americans, regardless of race.

Old 02-23-2013, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigantown View Post
The first fathers to be absent from their black children's lives where the white slave owners.
^ Worthy of a repeat.

And may I add that some of those fathers were the founding fathers:

George Washington owned more than 200 slaves

Thomas Jefferson owned more than 100 slaves

James Madison owned and sold slaves, all his life

James Monroe owned 30-40 slaves

Andrew Jackson owned about 160 slaves

The Founding Fathers' dark legacy - US News and World Report

Old 02-23-2013, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Seems to me the smarter, stronger ones were able to stand their ground and remain in their homeland.
^ This is one of the most ignorant posts I have read on this forum.

Tribal wars in central and western Africa resulted in a massive supply of captured prisoners sold as slaves to Eurpean traders. A substantial number of slaves were children.

Old 02-23-2013, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Not all African immigrants are black.

Old 02-23-2013, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
The problem here is the Democrats keep .......
Abe Lincoln was Republican.
Jim Crow Laws were a Democratic initiative.
Civil Rights was initially a Republican initiative.
MLK was Republican.
The KKK were Democrats.
Geo. Wallace was a Democrat.

The Republican Strategy turned the tables when the party sought to win support and elections in Southern states by panderiing to the hate, fear, bigotry of the deep south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies