Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 10:09 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,141,818 times

Advertisements

I don't want to take your guns... I swear. I do want large clips to be limited and mandatory background checks to be expanded.

Since the second amendment uses the words "well regulated", and regulation has before been affirmed by the Supreme Court-- How can anyone claim that it would be unconstitutional to limit large clips and institute mandator background checks?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2013, 10:30 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,576,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
I don't want to take your guns... I swear. I do want large clips to be limited and mandatory background checks to be expanded.

Since the second amendment uses the words "well regulated", and regulation has before been affirmed by the Supreme Court-- How can anyone claim that it would be unconstitutional to limit large clips and institute mandator background checks?
Do you not understand both magazine capacity limit and background check are utterly stupid?

Old 02-19-2013, 10:31 AM

8,982 posts, read 10,466,947 times
So what did the Founding Fathers mean by "well-regulated militia," in your opinion?

Old 02-19-2013, 10:41 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,570,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
So what did the Founding Fathers mean by "well-regulated militia," in your opinion?
I would imagine it would mean that a "well regulated militia" refers to some type of militaristic organization that would protect the sovereignty of the Colonial states at the time. I believe that was their intent however I think the "founding fathers" would be horrified knowing they passed an Amendment to address a issue that was occuring at the time and now the ensuing gun violence that occurs in our society today.

Old 02-19-2013, 10:42 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,654,236 times
Quote:

At the time of the constitutions writing, Regulated meant armed.

The standing army is not the militia
the national guard is not the militia.
The unorganized population is the militia, and they are to be well armed/regulated.
Look at California's state constitution, if you need a better definition.

Old 02-19-2013, 10:44 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,981,966 times
The components of the "militia" are spelled out in Federal Codes.
Some of the things which made the "unorganized militia" "well regulated" have been allowed to go away, such as the DCM programs (Director of Civilian Marksmanship), which furnished military weapons and ammunition to gun clubs all across the country to promote marksmanship (the club I was in back in the 1950s got 6 M-1 Garands and several thousand rounds of military ball ammunition every summer).
If the "Unorganized Militia" isn't "well regulated" these days, it is the FAILURE of the Federal Government to obey their own laws regarding the militia!
IIRC, the "Unorganized Militia" is made up of ALL male citizens of the United States between the ages of 17 and 45. If you are in that group, and do not have a weapon, you are technically in violation of the law!
Some State Constitutions (Wyoming, for example) have broader age limits, AND include women! Or, at least, the "male" part is not mentioned, just "citizens of the State".
"The Militia" is well defined in Federal and many State laws! There really can't be any doubt about what it is!

Old 02-19-2013, 10:57 AM

29,509 posts, read 14,668,503 times
Quote:

How about enforcing the current laws ? How about harsher penalties for violent crimes ? How about not trusting those that are mentally ill to take their medications on their own ? Those are the answers we all should be seeking ... not a silly ban on mag capacity and scary looking firearms. Fact is we are safer in society today then in 1970 and the amount of firearms is equal or more than then.
At first I was okay with background checks (I went thru one to get my CPL) , making private sales of long guns go thru a FFL (background check), and long gun registration just like handguns. Now I was okay with this until the a$$hat politicians started twisting facts, and proposing bans on firearms purely due to how they look. Now it is starting to look more like an agenda vs saving lives. Now my opinion is F'em , had they proposed things in a logical factual manor I think a compromise could have been made. Not now, no compromises.

Old 02-19-2013, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
I would imagine it would mean that a "well regulated militia" refers to some type of militaristic organization that would protect the sovereignty of the Colonial states at the time. I believe that was their intent however I think the "founding fathers" would be horrified knowing they passed an Amendment to address a issue that was occuring at the time and now the ensuing gun violence that occurs in our society today.
The moment you bring up "gun violence", you have already showed you don't understand. There's no "gun violence"; there's just violence. The term "gun violence" is coined to attack on the right to keep and bear arms. Does it really matter if you are murdered by a gun, a hammer or a knife? If for some reason we eliminated all guns, yes we would have eliminated "gun violence" but would you be happier to know that you would be murdered by hammers and knives then?

Again, there's no "gun violence", just violence.

So is ownership of gun fueling the violence? Not legal gun ownership for certain. Illegal owned guns are the ones fueling the violence; however, somehow some people get this brilliant idea that if we banned legal gun ownership, it would somehow fixed the problem caused by illegal gun ownership.

Nowadays people use all kind of weird stuff to justify their own motive. Regardless what the founding fathers meant, we together to argue for more freedom for us not less. That should be our principle!

So what does "well regulated" mean? I think a rational person would know the "well regulated militia" is the means for "being necessary the security of a free state". For this very reason, "the right of the people", note, not the militia, "to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

The whole ideas is for the people to have arms so that they can form a well regulated militia to protect the security of a free state. Now, "well regulated" in my mind would mean "well armed."

If we limit this and that, how can we form a well regulated militia? Maybe an insufficiently armed militia is good enough?

Last edited by lifeexplorer; 02-19-2013 at 11:08 AM..

Old 02-19-2013, 11:01 AM

The whole thing should really read:

"A well armed Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Old 02-19-2013, 11:09 AM

1,242 posts, read 3,481,251 times
Quote:

Background checks are conducted. Think the evil doers are going to comply? Really? Do you?
Do all the background checks you want, track every gun, gps the damn things, and guess what, people will still kill. The criminal's and mental people DONT CARE ABOUT OUR LAWS! Thats why they are CRIMINALS!

The bill proposed in CO about high capacity magazines is stupid. They want serials and dates printed on the new ones. Existing high capacity mags will still be legal. Think for a minute, what good is this going to do? Really, THINK.

I'll just buy them elsewhere and say I've owned them.

Seriously, pull your head out and think on your own for a minute. Its the people, not the guns, knives, bombs, bows/arrows, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies