Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 07:50 AM

361 posts, read 272,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Well, the less you have to do, the easier it is. A shotgun does not have a magazine to throw in, no need to chamber the first round, so the shotgun wins in "easiness". I suppose you can keep the AR magazine in, with the first round in the chamber, and then it is as easy as a shotgun, but hitting a target is still easier with a shotgun. I do not find the AR 'difficult' at all, but for someone who is not familiar with guns, there is nothing easier than a double barreled shotgun with shells already in the barrel.
Just so you know i do agree the ar 15 isn't the best gun for home defense. I like revolvers because you can leave them in desk collecting dust for 20 years but when you need it it will still shoot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2013, 08:06 AM

59,053 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
You have 50+ yard long hallways? Must be quite a mansion!

Now back into reality, it's well known that shotguns are the most effective home defense weapons. Most people in a home defense situation will be at a maximum length of 20-30 feet, though in most cases much closer, where a shotgun is devastating.

Every major shotgun manufacture has their own line of specialty "home defense" shotguns. Mossberg even teamed up with thunder ranch, one of the top defense training centers in the nation to craft their own specialty home defense shotgun.

There is a flickering bulb around here, and it sure isn't me,...
I think you light is OUT.

It would be nice if just once some people like you WOULD get back to reality.

You post your opinion, "it's well known that shotguns are the most effective home defense weapons." and claim it to be "FACTS".

Again you show your lack of knowledge on the subject. A standard shotgun is too heavy, bulky and too long to be maneuvered efectivley inside a house.

Is it better then nothing? Absolutely. Are their much better choices? Absolutely.

I prefer the Judge, in the 3 inch magnum.

You might want to look it up. You might learn something!

Old 02-20-2013, 08:12 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,912,795 times
Quote:
Not every housewife is a SWAT team member.
My wife can handle the lighter AR much better than any shotgun.

Until crazy Uncle Joe and the rest of the idiots in DC come and live with me and my family for a while, they can stop telling me what is best for me. That includes home defense, what car I should drive, what my health insurance policy should look like, etc. There are more than 300M people in this country. No single person or even a majority of 535 people who what is best for the INDIVIDUALS in this country.

Old 02-20-2013, 08:13 AM

10,875 posts, read 13,811,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
I think you light is OUT.

It would be nice if just once some people like you WOULD get back to reality.

You post your opinion, "it's well known that shotguns are the most effective home defense weapons." and claim it to be "FACTS".

Again you show your lack of knowledge on the subject. A standard shotgun is too heavy, bulky and too long to be maneuvered efectivley inside a house.

Is it better then nothing? Absolutely. Are their much better choices? Absolutely.

I prefer the Judge, in the 3 inch magnum.

You might want to look it up. You might learn something!
Judging from your post (pun intended) you don't have a clue about firearms. It's better to keep quiet, than to make a fool out of yourself

Last edited by TempesT68; 02-20-2013 at 08:23 AM..

Old 02-20-2013, 08:14 AM

23,558 posts, read 17,227,205 times
"Biden's home is in the sticks which is legal to fire on your own property. Biden was not telling everyone to do this."

The law is not as logical as you might think and if you rely on logic and not the law you will be in trouble.

I live in a rural area and can discharge a firearm. that has nothing to do with the firing a warning shot during a breakin or robbery.......Had a breakin and in the aftermath spoke to a NJ state trooper who investigated. I asked him about firing a shot to scare off intruders and he warmed me it would result in an assault charge.

I imagine with the trend in lawsuits by criminals against victims that mistake could be financially disasterous.

Old 02-20-2013, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
"Biden's home is in the sticks which is legal to fire on your own property. Biden was not telling everyone to do this."

The law is not as logical as you might think and if you rely on logic and not the law you will be in trouble.

I live in a rural area and can discharge a firearm. that has nothing to do with the firing a warning shot during a breakin or robbery.......Had a breakin and in the aftermath spoke to a NJ state trooper who investigated. I asked him about firing a shot to scare off intruders and he warmed me it would result in an assault charge.

I imagine with the trend in lawsuits by criminals against victims that mistake could be financially disasterous.
Most firearm owners are well aware of what laws are applicable for them in their areas.

Biden lives in a wooded area in the sticks where shooting on your property is legal. He said that's what he told his wife to do in their situation, he did not in any way say others should do this.

If anyone did, and it's not legal in their jurisdictions, then they are just dumbasses.

Old 02-20-2013, 08:29 AM

23,558 posts, read 17,227,205 times
It is really is about bullet construction rather than firepower, gauge or caliber.

A shotgun slug is a good first shot choiice for close up accuracy, however, a slug retains its energy and can travel along bones or framing or whatever and go places you would never expect. This is a concern if neighbors are close by. Same problem with a 22. However a thug holding someone hostage and faced with a shotgun will not know a slug can be placed with extreme accuracy.

The sound of a pump shotgun racking a round in the chamber would make a thugs blood run cold.

Once you decide on a firearm and caliber of choice that gives you coinfidence, please consider bullet or shotgun slug construction and potential colateral damage.

Apparently the law is designed so that if you shoot and miss, you are penalized with an assault charge.

Really the point of this post is to put a spotlight on the uninformed legislators that will impose new laws on us not just for firearms but every other category of life where someone feels the need to legislate our lives.

This also points out the universal belief that laws follow current logical thought...they do not!

Be careful, criminals are not the only thing we need protection from.

Old 02-20-2013, 08:48 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,241,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
I am getting the point, you are making up a bunch of nonsense in a desperate attempt to trash biden.

A warning shot isn't trying to hit anyone, that has nothing to do with range.
Reading what you have written here it looks like you very little about guns.... If I fired warning shots where I live I'd be the one going to jail....and yes he was talking to ALL of America about using a shot gun, NOT just country living folks!!!!!.. And Joe Biden is a full blown IDIOT....

Old 02-20-2013, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
Reading what you have written here it looks like you very little about guns.... If I fired warning shots where I live I'd be the one going to jail....and yes he was talking to ALL of America about using a shot gun, NOT just country living folks!!!!!.. And Joe Biden is a full blown IDIOT....
Nice job twisting what Biden said to fit your radical right wing agenda.

Your partisanship is showing,....

Old 02-20-2013, 08:55 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,241,172 times
Quote:
Well, the less you have to do, the easier it is. A shotgun does not have a magazine to throw in, no need to chamber the first round, so the shotgun wins in "easiness". I suppose you can keep the AR magazine in, with the first round in the chamber, and then it is as easy as a shotgun, but hitting a target is still easier with a shotgun. I do not find the AR 'difficult' at all, but for someone who is not familiar with guns, there is nothing easier than a double barreled shotgun with shells already in the barrel.
Depends on the shotgun.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies