Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 05:28 PM

29,094 posts, read 25,996,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I figured you were either a pilot or currently or have been in the military. But I like the story about the escape artist cat. Hope she's learned to stay put.
Naw - I was a cross country runner(harrier) who was(and is) fascinated by the Harrier AV-8B'S used by the USMC.

2009 MCAS Miramar Airshow - AV-8B Harrier Demonstration - YouTube

Harriet died 16 years a go and is buried less than 3/4 mile away from Sea-Tac airport near Seattle.

Old 02-21-2013, 05:29 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,295,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragontales View Post
Obama is well spoken compared to his predeseccor.
Bush could make an argument. Obama can't. Obama is all rhetoric, and all too obvious.

Bush was really far better at selling his arguments. Obama has a tendency to belittle those who would disagree, and therefore does not win over any opposition, but instead further divides.

Obamas tendency to "lecture" does not convince. It only serves to anger his audience. Nobody wants a government official (least of all the President) wagging his finger at them.

Obama comes across as a dictator. Bush never did.

Old 02-21-2013, 05:32 PM

29,094 posts, read 25,996,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Opinions are not facts!
To some liberals, they are.

Old 02-21-2013, 05:32 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,295,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Finally, someone brings up the cadence of Obama, I think you are talking about. When he clips off the endings of words it drives me crazy.

Whoops, one of those racist Tea Partiers has called out another of Obama's weaknesses.
You've got it. But it goes beyond that, too.

Old 02-21-2013, 06:12 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,895,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
Yes, sure, Black dialect is a version of the southern dialect. I do notice that there is a bit of a generational difference though, btw blacks. Younger blacks seem to be less intelligable for some reason.
When I lived in Phoenix; it could be cut down further by sex. many young Black ladies sounded "anglo white" like as in NO "Ebonic jive talk" but many of the young dudes, forget it.

Old 02-21-2013, 06:16 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,352,042 times
Eloquence is probably over-rated when it comes to politics. Mayor Richard J. Daly of Chicago (the original, not the sonny boy) was full of malapropisms. He always called O'Hare airport "O'Hara." But no one questioned his political acumen.

Hitler was an incredible, electrifying speaker. Would you vote for him? Sorry, I know I ran afoul of Godwins law. But eloquence is great, but it has to be connected to the right ideas or it is of no value.

Old 02-21-2013, 06:28 PM

37,166 posts, read 19,174,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workaholics View Post
I heard this a lot during Obama's first campaign. So many white people I knew complimented him on being so "well spoken." Isn't that kind of offensive? I rarely hear that compliment bestowed on other white people. It's almost like saying that you expect a black person to speak terrible English, so when they actually speak well then it's surprising. It just annoys me.
That modifier is applied to anyone who is intelligent and articulate, regardless of other factors. I don't understand how it can be construed as racist.

There are many on this board who fit the description.

Old 02-21-2013, 09:52 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,254,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workaholics View Post
I heard this a lot during Obama's first campaign. So many white people I knew complimented him on being so "well spoken." Isn't that kind of offensive? I rarely hear that compliment bestowed on other white people. It's almost like saying that you expect a black person to speak terrible English, so when they actually speak well then it's surprising. It just annoys me.
People of any race can be well spoken. Didn't Chris Rock do a bit a few years on how white people view Colon Powell?

Old 02-21-2013, 09:57 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 17 days ago)

29,543 posts, read 16,528,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montguy View Post
Well could it serve white people better to take a cue from our Senate Majority Leader and compliment his lack of "negro dialect" instead?
context matters.

Wasnt read talking about the phrases itself ?

Old 02-21-2013, 10:18 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,460,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Bush could make an argument. Obama can't. Obama is all rhetoric, and all too obvious.

Bush was really far better at selling his arguments. Obama has a tendency to belittle those who would disagree, and therefore does not win over any opposition, but instead further divides.

Obamas tendency to "lecture" does not convince. It only serves to anger his audience. Nobody wants a government official (least of all the President) wagging his finger at them.

Obama comes across as a dictator. Bush never did.
Yep, Obama is a great orator but he is not a great communicator. He rabblerouses and demagogues. On those occasions when he does make a speech about bipartisanship and coming together and all that, he doesn't come across as genuine. He knows how to throw red meat to his base with the best of them, but when it comes to selling a point he fumbles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies