Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 06:25 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,228,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Predictions are one thing, being able to do anything of substance is another. Hurricane prediction and awareness is more accurate in reducing loss of life what comes after is a different story. The drought in the 1930's lasted years, how do farmers and others plan for that, what would you do differently.

The mid west-west has cahnged quite a bit, you can see that water rights are becoming a rather large issue in OK, TX, etc. We really have taken water for granted, that is about to change.
You want to know something? In the 1930's Texas had a shortage of tropical storms.

...As I've said before, this MIGHT just be the very thing there are FEMA camps.

The population boom and the URBAN EXPLOSION, sets an unpleasant recipe for a drought. This might just be the major issue of Obama's second presidency. We need to set out an awareness campaign for people to prepare to move, in case the worst happens.

Old 02-23-2013, 06:33 PM

57,301 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
You want to know something? In the 1930's Texas had a shortage of tropical storms.

...As I've said before, this MIGHT just be the very thing there are FEMA camps.

The population boom and the URBAN EXPLOSION, sets an unpleasant recipe for a drought. This might just be the major issue of Obama's second presidency. We need to set out an awareness campaign for people to prepare to move, in case the worst happens.
I agree, the drop in the water table in some states, increased population, I read where there were a few lakes in the west that dropped around 30 feet over the last decade. Hopefully they have improved on farming practices that it won't be as devasting as it was in the last century. Water and drinking water are going to be a big issue for decades. I was watching the golf tournament in an Arizona desert this week, looked like it was in New England, that is going to change

Old 02-23-2013, 06:35 PM

Quote:
I agree, the drop in the water table in some states, increased population, I read where there were a few lakes in the west that dropped around 30 feet over the last decade. Hopefully they have improved on farming practices that it won't be as devasting as it was in the last century. Water and drinking water are going to be a big issue for decades. I was watching the golf tournament in an Arizona desert this week, looked like it was in New England, that is going to change
I keep dropping hints about this in many discussions, but people like to ignore this....

Old 02-23-2013, 06:44 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,206,642 times
You need to worry about more than a drought in Texas and local water rationing. I'm in Nebraska, and the Great Plains are going through the worst drought since the dust bowl. We raise your beef. Dead grazing land = no cattle.

Old 02-23-2013, 06:45 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,455,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
Most Americans don't even have emergency funds. If they get stuck in a drought, where will these people suddenly find jobs and housing?

I imagine a situation like this.

All of a sudden there is a sudden decrease in groundwater levels and river levels. Stricter water usage laws are enacted every day. Water pressure goes down but it's not enough. Grocery stores are suddenly out of Milk, Juice and water VERY quickly. Suddenly water services are cut off for all but emergency services.

WATER RUNS OUT.

MILLIONS OF PEOPLE NEED TO EVACUATE MANY CITIES ACROSS SEVERAL STATES ALL OF A SUDDEN.

Do you think these people, living inland sheltered from Hurricanes and Earthquakes are going to have a bunch of food saved up?

The other states WILL HAVE TO DEAL WITH THESE DISPLACED PEOPLE.
If there is a "sudden decrease in groundwater levels and river levels" then millions will die. The Colorado River is already being sucked dry, Los Angeles imports its water from Oregon and all points north. This was not a "sudden decrease", the writing has been on the wall for decades. If they have not figured it out by now... Oh well.

Old 02-23-2013, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
You need to worry about more than a drought in Texas and local water rationing. I'm in Nebraska, and the Great Plains are going through the worst drought since the dust bowl. We raise your beef. Dead grazing land = no cattle.
I did mention the states around Texas, and I did point the map. But Texas is where the people are at.

And I know no cattle. It's going to serious situation and many people will be dead in the water...

...Except there is no water

Old 02-23-2013, 06:51 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,455,656 times
Quote:
I prefer moose and caribou over beef.

Old 02-23-2013, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
If there is a "sudden decrease in groundwater levels and river levels" then millions will die. The Colorado River is already being sucked dry, Los Angeles imports its water from Oregon and all points north. This was not a "sudden decrease", the writing has been on the wall for decades. If they have not figured it out by now... Oh well.
I know. But up until now, we haven't had a serious threat of multi-year, multi-state drought.

And want to hear the worse news?

...Chances are Obama will still be in charge when **** hits the fan.

...And oh well is not good enough of an answer for a national issue.

..With that said, I'd appreciate more Texans and people from the surrounding area to make their opinion on this issue.

Old 02-23-2013, 06:58 PM

57,301 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Quote:

Very true, Indiana, Oklahoma, Texas, Kansas, they really should have been taking some drastic measures last year, those directly reliant on water for a living have very few options. I am surprised how little press this issue has received.

Old 02-23-2013, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Very true, Indiana, Oklahoma, Texas, Kansas, they really should have been taking some drastic measures last year, those directly reliant on water for a living have very few options. I am surprised how little press this issue has received.
Among the meteorological and climate communities, this is a very serious issue. Me and the others are trying to spread awareness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies