Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 09:10 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,114,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
I want more information before making judgement here.

Are they wanting to add this to milk that is JUST MILK? or are they wanting to use this in milk products like they currently do sugar and corn syrup when making Chocolate Milk or Strawberry milk?

If they want to sweeten up my regular skim milk or my kids regular 2% milk then we need to be in the streets fighting mad.

If they are just creating new drinks that are "milk drinks" like chocolate and strawberry, with lables the show all the ingredients then I am perfectly fine with it and am wondering why they have to have FDA approval?

Can anyone clear this up so I dont have to trudge off to the googleresearchlibrary??????

I did it for you. according to snopes, they ALREADY put artificial sweeteners in milk, but they cannot label it as milk.

snopes.com: Aspartame in Milk

I have a headache...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2013, 09:10 AM

2,238 posts, read 1,443,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Basically, I don't think it's going to be in all milk.
We'll have to see, like one would think High fructose corn syrup would not be in everything yet it's in everything from bread to Pasta sauce.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
I want more information before making judgement here.

Are they wanting to add this to milk that is JUST MILK? or are they wanting to use this in milk products like they currently do sugar and corn syrup when making Chocolate Milk or Strawberry milk?

If they want to sweeten up my regular skim milk or my kids regular 2% milk then we need to be in the streets fighting mad.

If they are just creating new drinks that are "milk drinks" like chocolate and strawberry, with lables the show all the ingredients then I am perfectly fine with it and am wondering why they have to have FDA approval?

Can anyone clear this up so I dont have to trudge off to the googleresearchlibrary??????
Quote:
The dairy lobby argues the opposite, claiming that allowing aspartame in milk would make it a healthier product and reduce childhood obesity by offering milk with fewer calories.
Quote:
Producers Federation seeking permission to include artificial sweeteners in milk and other dairy products. The groups seek to use aspartame in milk but retain the ability to label their products as "milk." The FDA asked for data related to Aspartame and other artificial sweeteners last week.
The agency currently lets the dairy industry use the "milk" label only for beverages with ingredients that have calories, like sugar and high-fructose corn syrup.
Unfortunately the article does not go into particulars but considering how things in this country normally run they will put it in everything. Because it's cheap and profitable.

Old 02-28-2013, 09:12 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,114,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadSpeak View Post
We'll have to see, like one would think High fructose corn syrup would not be in everything yet it's in everything from bread to Pasta sauce.

Unfortunately the article does not go into particulars but considering how things in this country normally run they will put it in everything. Because it's cheap and profitable.

According to snopes, they already put asperatame into milk, they just cannot label it as milk, but a milk product, or milk drink. The issue is not whether they can, but how the milk can be labeled.

Old 02-28-2013, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Read this carefully...It's not going to be in all milk. Is sugar and high fructose corn syrup in all milk? No. I'm thinking with will be in the flavored (chocolate, etc.) milk. I don't buy diet sodas because of the artificial sweeteners. That's my choice.

I never said it was ok to put poisons, etc. in food...what's with the hostility????

There are organic alternatives, they're just a lot more expensive.
That is the problem right there, the healthier something is for you the more expensive it is in this country. If one wants to be healthier then why must one pay a princely sum ?

The problem is you don't know which milk they are going to put this into, while yes I'm sure it's mostly for other flavors what would stop them from putting it in regular milk ? When I go to the store I try to buy either almond,rice, or soy milk but at nearly $5 a gallon it's incredibly expensive and unfortunately where I live in nyc there realyl is no actual choice for Organic milk. Not without me traveling a few miles out of the way.

Old 02-28-2013, 09:20 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,875,803 times
Here's the deal. NO ONE is sitting on anyone's chest forcing a BigMac down their throat. Life is a matter of choices. If you choose to eat crap, you're gonna be fat.

Old 02-28-2013, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Here's the deal. NO ONE is sitting on anyone's chest forcing a BigMac down their throat. Life is a matter of choices. If you choose to eat crap, you're gonna be fat.
We are not talking about a big mac though, we are talking about MILK it is one thing to make the choice not to eat a burger you can go and eat a sandwich. But when it is something like milk which many people drink it makes it harder to decide. And while I know there are organic milks one can choose those same organic milks are very expensive. People who are struggling to make ends meet won't care that the cheaper milk has aspartame in them.

Old 02-28-2013, 09:40 AM

10,016 posts, read 12,580,750 times
Quote:
Read this carefully...It's not going to be in all milk. Is sugar and high fructose corn syrup in all milk? No. I'm thinking with will be in the flavored (chocolate, etc.) milk. I don't buy diet sodas because of the artificial sweeteners. That's my choice.

I never said it was ok to put poisons, etc. in food...what's with the hostility????

There are organic alternatives, they're just a lot more expensive.
I'm very hostile to the idea of the adulteration of almost all of our food by the Chemical industry. Back when I first started having kids in the 70s I was completely shocked to find out that you could hardly buy any baby food that did not have MSG in it. I mean freakin Gerbers carrots had MSG in it. Even at that time many studies had shown that MSG could be extremely dangerous to babies yet they continued to put it in the food anyway. Finally, they stopped the practice but only because customers had concerns, they would not admit that the MSG was bad or more importantly there is ABSOLUTELY no reason to put it in the food in the first place. I raised 8 kids and I never bought one single can, bottle, box or any other container of prepared "baby food".

Have you ever read the list of poisons they put in pet food? It's just astounding how bad for our pets this garbage is. Dogs and cats are dying like flies sprayed with DDT from illnesses caused by this so called food. I make all of my own pet food and it's healthy and wholesome for my dogs and cats. It doesn't cost me any more to make either than that garbage in the bags. I had one of my dogs in at the vet for a check up last week and he said, "How do you keep that dog's teeth so perfectly white and beautiful the way they are"? I replied, "Very simple, I feed the dog good food"

In my world a food processor would have to make an application to the FDA for permission to put ANY additive into food. They would have to show a good reason for doing so and if there was no good reason they should be denied. Take the case of salt in our food. There is not one single good reason for adding salt to most of the foods that have salt in them. If a person wants salt in their food they can get a freakin salt shaker and shake way to their hearts desire. Same thing with this crap they want to put into the milk. Buy a box of the garbage and make my day, put as much in as you like.

Old 02-28-2013, 09:42 AM

4,209 posts, read 3,589,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadSpeak View Post
True, but isn't milk a necessary thing ?
Milk is not necessary at all! There are plenty of other alternatives to dairy milk - soy, almond, rice.

Old 02-28-2013, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stayinformed40 View Post
Milk is not necessary at all! There are plenty of other alternatives to dairy milk - soy, almond, rice.
correct and like I wrote in another post in this thread that milk is normally between $4 - $5 a gallon

Old 02-28-2013, 10:25 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,671,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stayinformed40 View Post
Liberals don't get that. Look at how they attacked me. Apparently libs aren't smart enough to make their own decisions (or make their own choices).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies