Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 02:27 PM

989 posts, read 2,761,464 times

Advertisements

**This is a thread about diplomacy with Iran... Please take "We are Winning" and "We are Losing" comments about the war in Iraq to a different thread.**

Did anyone catch Frontline last night?

FRONTLINE: showdown with iran | PBS

They detailed (with documented evidence as well as interviews with officials from the US and Iran) just how badly Bush has messed things up in regards to Iran.

I remember just after 9/11 how strongly our ties with Iran were growing, and thinking that this could actually be our great chance to build normalized relations with Iran. These thoughts were backed up by the Chief of Military Intelligence for my Battalion.

Frontline detailed how after 9/11 Iran gave an official statement condemning terrorism and the attacks specifically, stopped the "death to America" chants (I know, it doesn't sound like much but they'd been doing it for over 20 years so it was kinda important), and gave us material support against the Taliban in Afghanistan.

The reward? We labeled them an "Axis of Evil" and ticked off just about everyone who had helped.

Furthermore, after we invaded Iraq (and before things went to SH#$T) they send us a request which was verified to have been approved by "The Supreme Leader" (the real leader) in which Iran would agree to 1) abandon a nuclear program 2) Denounce terrorism and stop all support, and 3) Support Israel. Since a huge portion of Iran's population is young, it was very likely that these changes could happen.

What did they want? 1) An agreement not to try a "regime change" in Iran, and 2) Normalize relations and end sanctions.

Guess what we did? WE GAVE THEM THE FINGER. We didn't even bother to give them an answer.

That lead to a huge shift away from Reformist and back towards anti-Americanism. At least part of the mess in Iraq is caused by support from Iran.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2007, 02:42 PM

1,969 posts, read 6,389,493 times
I watched that program. Absolutely terrifying. Richard Armitage probably said it best that people in the ME may not have liked our policies before, but they never considered us outright incompetent, as they now do. Iran's current leadership can only benefit from confertation with the US and we are merely fueling the fire.

Old 10-24-2007, 02:58 PM

1,251 posts, read 2,576,825 times
Who funds all of these groups? that want us dead Who's ied's are killing our soldiers? IRAN not the people but little Adolf and his cronies.

Old 10-24-2007, 04:04 PM

5,407 posts, read 7,792,673 times
I just heard on the radio today there are many moderates in Iran today displeased with their nutty president and want to go around him to open dialogue with the Bush administration, but Bush is blowing them off again. Bush just gets his jollies playing Nuclear Commander in Chief, or does not want to put forth the effort to try to pronounce their names correctly in negotiations, or something. Bush is definitely over the edge.

Old 10-24-2007, 04:16 PM

1,251 posts, read 2,576,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
I just heard on the radio today there are many moderates in Iran today displeased with their nutty president and want to go around him to open dialogue with the Bush administration, but Bush is blowing them off again. Bush just gets his jollies playing Nuclear Commander in Chief, or does not want to put forth the effort to try to pronounce their names correctly in negotiations, or something. Bush is definitely over the edge.
I agree but how can you skirt around this little hitler? He/they have such tight restrictions on everything that even kissing in public can get you thrown into the crowbar hotel Sanctions work well but screw over the general population. Those are ones you dont want mad at you. Send in the Massad to take out little Hitler would be a good option

Old 10-24-2007, 04:23 PM

5,407 posts, read 7,792,673 times
It seems like there are parallels. Much of the general population likes the U.S. and some of their leadership wants to open dialogue on their side, just as much of the population would like to open dialogue and avoid a war on our side. Bush and the little Hitler are the ones itching for a fight. Maybe we should just lock the two of them up in an octagon and let them go at it.

Old 10-24-2007, 08:42 PM

989 posts, read 2,761,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchuckie View Post
I agree but how can you skirt around this little hitler? He/they have such tight restrictions on everything that even kissing in public can get you thrown into the crowbar hotel Sanctions work well but screw over the general population. Those are ones you dont want mad at you. Send in the Massad to take out little Hitler would be a good option
Are you talking about the president of Iran Ahmadinejad? He is a powerless figurehead who only has whatever power the Supreme Leader allows him (sort of like the VP of the USA). The Supreme Leader reached out to Bush in 2003 and was snubbed. Why would they want to work with us now?

Ending a Nuke program, recognizing Israel (a big deal for an Islamic country), and ending all sponsorship of terrorism. All they wanted was an agreement we wouldn't attack, and a lifting of sanctions (just like we did with Libya). Small price to pay for peace, but I guess if you don't really want peace it doesn't matter.

Old 10-24-2007, 09:36 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,120,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
Bush looks tired--------at best.

Old 10-24-2007, 09:54 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,213,219 times
Fact the Middle East was screwed up long before GWB. He hasn't helped and maybe even exasperated an already unstable problem.
Fact the Middle East became a real problem after WWII. The former great powers weakened by war lost their grip. In fact after WWI when it it was recarved up began much of todays woes.
Why does Iran hate the USA???? Blame england for that. After WWII England didn't like Irans leadership or how the new leadership decided not to give England the oil revenues. England needed that changed but didnt have the assests in place. They asked their friend USA to help out. USA did.. But installed the shah of Iran. A man every bit as ville as Saddam. That is Irans issue with the USA.
As for the rest. Look no further than the USA's unconditional support of Israel.
The USA consistantly supports Israel no matter what happens to include turning a blind eye when Israel is the aggresser. Lebenon????
GWB has his faults and his follies but to blame him for it all is insane.
Under Clinton we had more terrorist attacks against our assets.. Under Clinton is when the 911 plan was born and hatched.
No much of what the world deals with today was born in Europe and caused by European greed.

Old 10-24-2007, 10:11 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,580,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchuckie View Post
Please explain to me what ^^^^^ this has to do with I-DOT Bush & Company giving the finger to a country which was seeking diplomacy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies