Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 11:28 AM

6,331 posts, read 5,213,901 times

Advertisements

Is Forbes part of the mainstream liberal media ? Are they participating in a conspiracy to cover up Chavez's worth?

The World's Billionaires List - Forbes

Old 03-06-2013, 12:26 PM

78,450 posts, read 60,652,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
Is Forbes part of the mainstream liberal media ? Are they participating in a conspiracy to cover up Chavez's worth?

Would you mind posting an excerpt of Forbes methodology? My browser crashes when I hit the link on the page.

From memory I seem to recall that they exclude political figures.

For example, it's widely known that Putin is worth at least 20bil from his well hidden gasprom assets but he isn't on there either.

They also used to exclude Khaddafi and he was worth huge amounts. Same rationale.

Perhaps this has changed but if you could paste the methodology up for us it would put the question of Chavez even being considered for the list to bed.

Thanks in advance.

Old 03-06-2013, 12:32 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,586,907 times
where does forbes state that oogo isn't a billionaire?

the last person listed supposedly has 3.4B; if oogo has 2 billion as has been reported, he wouldn't have made the cutoff.

Old 03-06-2013, 12:36 PM

78,450 posts, read 60,652,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
where does forbes state that oogo isn't a billionaire?

the last person listed supposedly has 3.4B; if oogo has 2 billion as has been reported, he wouldn't have made the cutoff.
I clicked one tab and saw guys with less than that but the website was acting buggy. They have some lower than 3.4bil but your browser might be acting up. Like I said, I tried to check the methodology and it all crashed on me but I did see guys around 2bil listed.

Old 03-06-2013, 12:43 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,467,143 times
Quote:

If a person does not appear on a generic Forbes list, then "according to" Forbes claims about that person are "lies"? Reminds me of the other thread where "Cosby says" that Republicans are as bad as 1960s racists despite Cosby never saying the word "Republicans".

No, Don. "According to Forbes" Chavez isn't on their list of billionaires. That's it. The rest of it is your spin. If you use a Forbes list to call people liars, that doesn't mean "according to Forbes" they are liars and that to deny your claims means Forbes is part of a "conspiracy". That means you're trying to attribute your claims to someone else who has more authority than you do, and so anybody who disgrees with you actually disagrees with them. It is a known logical fallacy.

Old 03-06-2013, 12:46 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,241,574 times
The reason for Putin not being on the list.

No Kremlin officials figure on the Forbes list, and Putin has dismissed as ridiculous rumors swirling in the Western media that he controls a personal fortune of $40 billion. At his annual news conference last month, Putin said the people behind the rumor had "picked everything out of their noses and smeared it on their little papers."
Kroll said Forbes did not have any hard information about the president's income beyond what had been reported in the press.
"It has been tricky to pin Putin down," she said.

They are unable to verify his wealth. Whether or not this would apply to Chavez, I do not know but it does show that the list only goes off what can be uncovered.

RUSSIA Record 87 Russians on Forbes Rich List

Old 03-06-2013, 12:48 PM

3,537 posts, read 2,737,602 times
Quote:

Why are you whining about the media? How about whining about a power hungry control freak who lived like a King while decimating his nation's well being?

Hugo Chavez decimated democracy while he lived like a king.

"The judiciary, in particular, became a tool of the government, used for political purposes even as the crime rates spiraled, homicide rates reached unprecedented levels and most crimes went unsolved. The government decided to stop keeping crime statistics, but one private organization counted more than 118,000 homicides since Chavez took office.

Experts said one of the problems was the justice system, which, like other parts of government, had become more political than professional.
In one infamous case, Judge Maria Lourdes Afiuni granted bail to a banker charged with breaking currency controls while he awaited trial. In his weekly television show, Chavez declared "The judge has to pay!" She spent three years in a jail where, she said, she was raped, awaiting trial on trumped-up corruption charges.

Chavez shut down critical media outlets and threatened others with closure, refusing to renew broadcast licenses of some of his most powerful critics."

Chavez empowered the poor, divided a nation - CNN.com

Old 03-06-2013, 12:54 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,605,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
Reminds me of the other thread where "Cosby says" that Republicans are as bad as 1960s racists despite Cosby never saying the word "Republicans".
Okay, so what group of people do you think he was talking about? Democrats?

Old 03-06-2013, 12:58 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 27 days ago)

29,573 posts, read 16,560,540 times
Quote:

Forbes is an estimation based solely on what they can dig up in public record.

Old 03-06-2013, 01:23 PM

6,331 posts, read 5,213,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Forbes is an estimation based solely on what they can dig up in public record.
So some blog written by some guy in a basement has better access to information than Forbes? Either that or Forbes is in cahoots with the LIEberal media
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies