Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 10:35 PM

3,391 posts, read 4,485,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
When with the God-hating ACLU learn that the US is a Christian nation and stop attacking our founding principles?

Atheist Puerto Rico Cop Files Discrimination Suit - ABC News
Atheist cop punished for refusing to pray files discrimination suit - National Humanist | Examiner.com

"Alvin Marrero-Mendez, a 14-year veteran police officer and atheist, filed a lawsuit ... claiming that he was stripped of his weapon and reassigned from police work to washing cars and relaying messages when he refused to take part in compulsory Christian prayers while on the job.

Mendez’s superior officers often engaged in religious activities during precinct meetings, including an officially sponsored prayer ... officer Mendez was asked to give a prayer before a group of officers and when he refused, he was told to leave formation and stand in front of his peers while a superior officer mocked him for rejecting Christianity."
Glad to hear this cop had the courage to stand up to these religious fanatics, and I am thankful the ACLU was there to back him up. It is time for intelligent, rational Americans to take our country back from ignorant Christian fanatics. I am sick and tired of people who believe in talking snakes, virgins births and bodily resurrections demanding "respect" for their silly, ignorant superstitions. All religion belongs in the dustbin of history, and the human race will never grow to its full potential until we do let go of it.

Old 03-10-2013, 11:23 PM

27,623 posts, read 21,145,255 times
The OP's opening statement rendered the entire post unworthy of reading. Anyone that seriously believes that this nation was founded on religion, is living in a realm akin to the dark ages. No, the USA is not a Christian nation and never was. The majority does not rule and just because more people in the nation call themselves Christian has no bearing on that fact. A "Christian nation" would be considered a Theocratic nation and last time I checked, the USA does not consider itself a theocracy...wake up!

Old 03-10-2013, 11:27 PM

27,623 posts, read 21,145,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
Glad to hear this cop had the courage to stand up to these religious fanatics, and I am thankful the ACLU was there to back him up. It is time for intelligent, rational Americans to take our country back from ignorant Christian fanatics. I am sick and tired of people who believe in talking snakes, virgins births and bodily resurrections demanding "respect" for their silly, ignorant superstitions. All religion belongs in the dustbin of history, and the human race will never grow to its full potential until we do let go of it.
Rep to you.

Old 03-10-2013, 11:35 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,300,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I don't know why people jump all over the ACLU when it's individuals who are the ones who turn to them when they have problems like this. The ACLU wouldn't need to exist if everyone was respectful of each other and kept their personal ish to themselves.
^^^
Beat me to it.

Old 03-11-2013, 04:03 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,950,638 times
Quote:
When with the God-hating ACLU learn that the US is a Christian nation and stop attacking our founding principles?

Atheist Puerto Rico Cop Files Discrimination Suit - ABC News
Atheist cop punished for refusing to pray files discrimination suit - National Humanist | Examiner.com

"Alvin Marrero-Mendez, a 14-year veteran police officer and atheist, filed a lawsuit ... claiming that he was stripped of his weapon and reassigned from police work to washing cars and relaying messages when he refused to take part in compulsory Christian prayers while on the job.

Mendez’s superior officers often engaged in religious activities during precinct meetings, including an officially sponsored prayer ... officer Mendez was asked to give a prayer before a group of officers and when he refused, he was told to leave formation and stand in front of his peers while a superior officer mocked him for rejecting Christianity."
Is this a serius post? You are not just funning are you? You do remember the US Constitution in grade school? Can you guess why it is wrong to force a public employee, whos salary is paid by the public, to participate in any "religious" activity?

The other public employee police officers can pray till their heads explode...if they so wish; but they can not force others to do the same. Please re-read the US Constitution.

Old 03-11-2013, 08:05 AM

3,337 posts, read 5,122,560 times
This officer, or any other officers, should not be forced to participate in prayers. They have every right to opt out or ignore what the other officers are doing and should NOT be punished for it as he was in this case. I think he will win this lawsuit and he should.

That being said, I think the officers that did participate in prayers have a right to do so as well. To me, if you want to do it, fine. If not, fine too. What's the big deal? Anyway, I think the ACLU will win this one easily.

Old 03-11-2013, 08:11 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,601,093 times
i can't believe so many people are falling for hammy's trolling act.

Quote:
Oh please. The ACLU defends anyone whose very speech comes under attack by the government - they are constantly defending churches, conservative groups, extreme right-wing groups, and even hate groups. Not to mention there are many conservative members of the ACLU (Bob Barr comes to mind).

Old 03-11-2013, 08:17 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,211,935 times
The ACLU is protecting your right to practice "Christianity" by making sure that others have the right to practice, or not practice, the faith of their choosing. The truth is that I'm pretty sure your brand of "Christianity" doesn't have much in common with the Christian faith that I follow (the love and compassion kind), and my Jesus wouldn't have much in common, or even recognize, yours. Because of the ACLU, you're free to spew garbage and hate just as much as you'd like, as long as you don't force it on anyone else.

Old 03-11-2013, 09:39 AM

22,632 posts, read 14,955,756 times
Quote:
The US is not a Christian nation.

Period.

Old 03-11-2013, 09:44 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,565,921 times
Default The ACLU Continues Its Attack On Christianity - Sues Police Department Over Prayer

Go ACLU!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.