Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 08:12 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,785,201 times

Advertisements

When it started the first Sun in May and ended the 1st Sun in Oct it was fine, now it is getting out of control. yes, most of us have some adjustment problems, babies usually do and as we get older, we notice we are having a lot of adjustmetns, but more than that, I think of the kids, standing out waiting for the school bus in the dark or dark and cold. Here, this morning there was almost no daylight until 7am and the temps were hovering around 32 degrees. The school buses start running here about 6:45am. I would sign a petition to eleminate it or put it back to the original times. Add to this, there are a few states that do not honor it: what a pain it is, when you are traveling, just trying to figure out if this state or that is on what time...

Old 03-12-2013, 08:15 AM

41,970 posts, read 75,229,826 times
Maybe we should shift and split time zones into smaller areas a la Newfoundland.

The sun rose in Portland, Maine, this morning at 6:58 a.m. In June, the sun will rise before 5 a.m. DST. Without DST, in June the sun would rise before 4 a.m. and set before 7:30.

At the other end of the Eastern Time Zone, in Indianapolis, the sun rose this morning at 8 a.m.

How do these two locations belong in the same time zone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Add to this, there are a few states that do not honor it: what a pain it is, when you are traveling, just trying to figure out if this state or that is on what time...
Only Arizona, I think, in the Lower 48.

Last edited by Ohiogirl81; 03-12-2013 at 08:30 AM..

Old 03-12-2013, 08:21 AM

606 posts, read 1,606,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhemi View Post
Ill sign another DST petition. I'd love to see it go. Serves no purpose anymore. AZ has it made for not practicing in this craziness. It causes issues with some programmers, companies who have employees that work 3rd shift, payroll issues, etc. Then I have to pull out manuals for some devices because not everything in the car and home auto adjusts.
I live in Arizona and I agree, I'm glad that I don't have to deal with that B.S...

But I really don't get it though, if this whole thing was originally set up for farmers, why couldn't the farmers just get up an hour earlier? I mean farmers are self employed tending their own farms, so they can work any hours they want. I see no purpose to changing to clocks for everyone to cater to farmers who are very capable of setting their own schedules anyway!

Old 03-12-2013, 08:21 AM

39,875 posts, read 26,526,580 times
Just change to "daylight savings time" year around. "Standard time" is kind of stupid. Who cares if it's daylight the first couple of hours at work anyway. A little time with sun after work means something.

Old 03-12-2013, 08:33 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,885,552 times
I signed it. I cant believe we still do it. It serves no purpose and actually seem to have negative effects.

Old 03-12-2013, 08:33 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,995,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Daylight Savings Time affects us all in different ways....some it doesn't affect, but me, I've had a terrible time with it all my life.
Daylight Savings Time was invented many many years ago, to give the Farmers more daylight to harvest crops, and that is the reason....
I've heard many other reasons, but they are untrue...actually DST was orinally for the farmers.

Well, I've had it, every time we loose an Hour, it messes with my schedule, makes me tired, and takes me two weeks sometimes to adjust....
also messes with my dogs schedule to....

So, if you want to make a difference, please follow this link and go in and sign the petition to Washington to stop it.
I don't care what time they keep it at, just so they stop it.....

AGain, it affects us all differently, however, it affects a whole lot of people in a negative way and is not good for the body...sytem, etc....so if you hate DST, please go in an sign...

Well... considering that I live in Ohio, and we tend to get gloomy weather during the winter months, Daylight Savings Time is a welcome change. I am one of those who is effected by the lack of sunlight. I notice in August when the days start getting shorter. And there is nothing worse than when it starts getting dark at 5PM!

Last edited by Ibginnie; 05-30-2016 at 08:16 AM.. Reason: edited quoted post

Old 03-12-2013, 08:44 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,943,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Well... considering that I live in Ohio, and we tend to get gloomy weather during the winter months, Daylight Savings Time is a welcome change. I am one of those who is effected by the lack of sunlight. I notice in August when the days start getting shorter. And there is nothing worse than when it starts getting dark at 5PM!
Agree completely. It does something to your pysche when you work in an office all day only to walk outside at 5PM and having it be dark already. My favorite time of the year is beginning-pretty much now until November .

Old 03-12-2013, 08:47 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,122,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Well, I've had it, every time we loose an Hour, it messes with my schedule, makes me tired, and takes me two weeks sometimes to adjust....
Two weeks? Geez, I sure hope you never have to travel outside your time zone...

Move to Arizona if it's that big a deal to you. The LAST thing we need to waste more federal time and money on is this.

Old 03-12-2013, 09:00 AM

295 posts, read 359,035 times
First world problems.

Old 03-12-2013, 10:03 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,541,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
As a farmer I like it and would prefer DLS all year long.
Yes! This is what I want too. DLS year-round - then no one will have to 'adjust' to the new time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies