Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 02:42 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,233,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
The anticipation of changing to DST is akin to Christmas morning.
What?

I hate getting up at 2am to change the damn clock. Ruins my sleep and what not.

Old 03-12-2013, 03:08 PM

4,738 posts, read 4,437,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Daylight Savings Time was invented many many years ago, to give the Farmers more daylight to harvest crops, and that is the reason....
I've heard many other reasons, but they are untrue...actually DST was orinally for the farmers.

Okay - I think your full of #@# on the farmer thing. I'm looking, and different countries have different reasons. IN fact Indiana justification for NOT doing it was that Farmers want their light at the beginning of the day and not the end of the day.

Regardless - Daylight savings time gives you more time in the evening. It is a big boon for retailers, business, restaurants, etc. I personally like it.

Your issue isn't DST, its the time switch back and forth. Too me, an hr isn't a big difference, but oh well. Regardless, why not petition to keep DST all year round

Old 03-12-2013, 03:11 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,557,277 times
I hate daylight savings time. Just when it's starting to get light out when the kids go to school, we make it dark again. I had gotten used to being able to see the kids waiting at their bus stops. Now we're back to driving in in the dark.

I also hate that it's light so late in May and June. I teach school and kids don't want to go to sleep when it's light out so they're tired from now until the end of the year. They're tired now because they're conditioned to going to sleep an hour later and they'll be tired in June because the sun is up until well past 9:00 and they can't wind down.

I really don't get the poing of daylight savings time. I wish they'd get rid of it.

Individual companies are free to change their hours of operation if their employees want to go home earlier. I used to work for a comany that had summer hours. We worked 7:00 - 3:30 during the winter and 6:00 - 2:30 in the summer.

Old 03-12-2013, 03:12 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,825,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee
Daylight Savings Time was invented many many years ago, to give the Farmers more daylight to harvest crops, and that is the reason....
I've heard many other reasons, but they are untrue...actually DST was orinally for the farmers.
Okay - I think your full of #@# on the farmer thing. I'm looking, and different countries have different reasons. IN fact Indiana justification for NOT doing it was that Farmers want their light at the beginning of the day and not the end of the day.

How did the roosters know to wait an hour?

Old 03-12-2013, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post

Exactly. We still have the same amout of time/daylight. Leave it alone already.

In the winter when we have shorter days, it dosent matter, I still get up and go to work in the dark and I go home in the dark.
Yup. Doesn't change the length of the day at all. It just means we get ready for work and drive to work in the dark now and can't fall asleep at night because it's light so much later now. I guess they want us sleep deprived and drving to work in the dark. Um, yeah, that sounds like a GREAT combination.

I agree with that indian. Only the government would think they've accomplished something this way.

Old 03-12-2013, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
How did the roosters know to wait an hour?
You have to reset your roosters the night before daylight savings time starts.

Old 03-12-2013, 03:19 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,833,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madpaddy View Post
I really find the hour of lost sleep in the Spring objectionable. Why can't we "spring ahead" sometime Friday mid-afternoon instead at 2:00am Sunday?
Aah! Now I would sign that petition too.

Old 03-12-2013, 03:27 PM

510 posts, read 889,531 times
I'd rather keep savings time and eliminate standard time. Keep the extra hour of light in the evening all year round.

Old 03-12-2013, 04:06 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,983,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
What?

I hate getting up at 2am to change the damn clock. Ruins my sleep and what not.
Me, too. That's why I change all my clocks that need to be changed at about 9 PM Saturday evening! Then, suddenly, it is 10 PM, bedtime, so I go to bed. No lost sleep, and since I don't watch tv much, no missed programs. No problem.
You can change your clocks whenever you want to. You can even leave them on DST year round, if you wish, and adjust your schedule to fit as necessary.

IMO, the arguments AGAINST DST are just as silly as those FOR it.
But, I still like it.

Old 03-12-2013, 04:14 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,716,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I hate daylight savings time. Just when it's starting to get light out when the kids go to school, we make it dark again. I had gotten used to being able to see the kids waiting at their bus stops. Now we're back to driving in in the dark.

I also hate that it's light so late in May and June. I teach school and kids don't want to go to sleep when it's light out so they're tired from now until the end of the year. They're tired now because they're conditioned to going to sleep an hour later and they'll be tired in June because the sun is up until well past 9:00 and they can't wind down.

I really don't get the poing of daylight savings time. I wish they'd get rid of it.

Individual companies are free to change their hours of operation if their employees want to go home earlier. I used to work for a comany that had summer hours. We worked 7:00 - 3:30 during the winter and 6:00 - 2:30 in the summer.
My thoughts exactly!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies