Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 07:19 PM

734 posts, read 932,896 times

Advertisements

Forest Whitaker, an oscar winning (black) actor, was recently accused (by a deli store clerk) of stealing. The clerk proceeded to search him (which is not even legal). After patting him down, the clerk found no stolen merchandise. Once the ordeal was over, Mr. Whitaker simply left the store, humiliated and ashamed. Some people would be shocked to know that this sort of behavior is quite typical in very liberal white cities such as NYC, and San Francisco.

My question is, why are liberal whites thought of as "progressive" and "compassionate," while conservative whites are often all painted as hateful racists?

I'm sure Whitaker is probably rethinking his love fest with liberals?

In my opinion, both ideologies (liberal and conservative) represent two sides of the same coin. Because both groups essentially have the same type of "Good, Racist People."

In an Op-Ed piece about Whitaker's ordeal, columnist Ta-Nehisi Coates states:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/07/op...ople.html?_r=0
Quote:

The idea that racism lives in the heart of particularly evil individuals, as opposed to the heart of a democratic society, is reinforcing to anyone who might, from time to time, find their tongue sprinting ahead of their discretion. We can forgive Whitaker’s assailant. Much harder to forgive is all that makes Whitaker stand out in the first place. New York is a city, like most in America, that bears the scars of redlining, blockbusting and urban renewal. The ghost of those policies haunts us in a wealth gap between blacks and whites that has actually gotten worse over the past 20 years.

But much worse, it haunts black people with a kind of invisible violence that is given tell only when the victim happens to be an Oscar winner. The promise of America is that those who play by the rules, who observe the norms of the “middle class,” will be treated as such. But this injunction is only half-enforced when it comes to black people, in large part because we were never meant to be part of the American story. Forest Whitaker fits that bill, and he was addressed as such.
It is my sincere hope that blacks move away from the democratic party and look towards a third party system. I'm amazed and confused that so many blacks simply don't get it..

At the end of the day, there's really NO difference between the ideology of conservative and liberal racism.

Last edited by Lilly1224; 03-12-2013 at 07:30 PM..

Old 03-12-2013, 07:30 PM

4,130 posts, read 4,461,152 times
I don't see anything in the article about liberals or conservatives.

Old 03-12-2013, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post
I don't see anything in the article about liberals or conservatives.
I am using Whitaker's recent experience in a very liberal area of NYC (a block away from Columbia University) to highlight patterns that are very typical of white liberals, to show that their basic thinking with respect to blacks, is really no different than white conservatives.

Many blacks speak out against white conservatives, but most seem to be very comfortable supporting white liberals. I'm perplexed, because both seem to be about the same, in terms of their views and treatment of blacks (in the collective sense).

Old 03-12-2013, 07:35 PM

Whitaker is a major supporter of the democratic party. More than likely, he feels at home with liberals in NYC. I'm wondering if he feels the same way about his "liberal friends," after his most recent experience.

I believe Danny Glover (another black actor) parted ways with the democratic party, after he couldn't even get a cab in his liberal hometown of NYC.

Old 03-12-2013, 07:38 PM

2,075 posts, read 4,447,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly1224 View Post
to show that their basic thinking with respect to blacks, is really no different than white conservatives.
So you're admitting most white conservatives are racist?

Old 03-12-2013, 07:39 PM

30,358 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInHouston View Post
Haha... that's how I thought I'd read her comments, but was sure I misunderstood something! Guess not.

Old 03-12-2013, 07:45 PM

1,132 posts, read 1,247,012 times
Most NYC deli owners and cab drivers are not white and you don't know the deli clerk's motives when he searched Forest Whitaker. Maybe he did see him put something in his pocket or thought he did. Wealthy celebrities have been arrested for shoplifting.
Speaking of racism, ask an Asian NYC deli owner about the treatment they receive from some of their black customers.

Old 03-12-2013, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInHouston View Post
Yes, I am essentially saying that there is no difference between white conservatives and white liberals. I'm therefore trying to figure out why blacks continue to support liberals with 95% of their vote..

Old 03-12-2013, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southking500 View Post
Most NYC deli owners and cab drivers are not white and you don't know the deli clerk's motives when he searched Forest Whitaker. Maybe he did see him put something in his pocket or thought he did. Wealthy celebrities have been arrested for shoplifting.
Speaking of racism, ask an Asian NYC deli owner about the treatment they receive from some of their black customers.
Yes, this may all be true, but there is no denying that there is a huge number of liberals in NYC and San Francisco. Also, for the record, the deli in question, "Milano" is a white owned very liberal type deli, a block away from Columbia University. This particular area is home to a number of white liberals.

I'm just trying to figure out why blacks are on to white conservatives but not white liberals?

Old 03-12-2013, 07:50 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Wonderful.

I don't give a damn about what happened to Forest Whitaker. That doesn't have a damn thing to do with how I VOTE!!

You think I should consider voting for the Republican Party based on a random incident in NYC? How stupid is that?

Frickin' condescending ass conservatives! SMH...unreal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies