Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will you pay the price for American goods?
Yes, of course. 45 61.64%
No, I determine what I buy by price. If a sweater from China cost $20 compared to the $50 American made one, I'll choose the Chinese made. 16 21.92%
Different Option. 12 16.44%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 10:49 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,443,958 times

Advertisements

The image above is from a store I was shopping at today named "American Apparel" and I couldn't help but to notice the price of the clothes weren't extremely high but they weren't H&M low either, for a simple pink button-down it was about $52. That got me thinking, do you all mind spending the extra dollar for something that's American made? I just purchased a pair of New Balance the other day and found they were made in America and plenty of people in the DC region wear them (I'm not sure if because of fashion, the brand, comfort, because there made in the USA, or what) so although they are a bit pricey, people will pay the price. Other companies should brand themselves as American companies a bit better and I bet their sells will go up and people, such as myself wouldn't mind paying a few extra bucks for it.

I feel a lot better paying $52 for a simple button-down as opposed to a sweatshop made Banana Republic sweater (although it's my favorite brand, its clothes aren't made in a regulated environment) that may cost $40. So how are you guys when it comes to paying for something American made? Will you pay a few extra dollars for it or are you one of those whom complain about America sending all jobs to China but don't want to pay the price that American goods command?

And this isn't limited to clothes, if Apple decides to bring back its full manufacturing center of MacBooks, iPhones, etc. and the price they command is $100 more, I'll pay it to know its not made by someone who is being forced against their will to do it. I just don't promote the idea of sweatshops anymore; well I never did but I'm trying to buy more American these days although its hard to at times, not because of price but because it's simply not there to be purchased.

To mods: please leave this in the political and controversies section as I'm asking the question to those whom are interested in politics, not fashion, electronics, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2013, 10:53 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,827,388 times
I always try to buy American made and will pay a premium as long as the quality matches the price. It is easier with some things more than others. Electronics is a post cause. 99% of my gun stuff is American made, besides a few things that are of higher quality (German/japanese glass for scopes). Cars are American made and my tools are American made. Probably half my clothes are American, this is hard since I need extra tall dress shirts which are hard to find in general, let alone American made.

Old 03-12-2013, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
I always try to buy American made and will pay a premium as long as the quality matches the price. It is easier with some things more than others. Electronics is a post cause. 99% of my gun stuff is American made, besides a few things that are of higher quality (German/japanese glass for scopes). Cars are American made and my tools are American made. Probably half my clothes are American, this is hard since I need extra tall dress shirts which are hard to find in general, let alone American made.
I'm just realizing my vehicle is American made. LOL But yeah, I shouldn't have made it seem like I'm strictly talking about America, I'd rather buy German, Japanese, or any other NATO or NATO-affliate clothing as opposed to China, India, etc. and its not because of any prejudices or anything, but its their poor human rights records that don't make me want to support their goods. As of now, probably about 5% of my clothes are American made, none of my electronics are (although I'm sure they have electronic components inside that are from America), even my girl friend isn't even American made considering she's from Spain. LOL I see the country isn't doing to well, and a lot of 'associates' such as China are moving up in the world because we support them too much by us purchasing their goods, therefore American/NATO goods are what I'm aiming to buy from now on.

Old 03-12-2013, 11:06 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,514,999 times
I could care less if it is made in America or China or Mexico or Germany or any other country.

Why do you want kids in China to starve to death?

Old 03-12-2013, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
I'm just realizing my vehicle is American made. LOL But yeah, I shouldn't have made it seem like I'm strictly talking about America, I'd rather buy German, Japanese, or any other NATO or NATO-affliate clothing as opposed to China, India, etc. and its not because of any prejudices or anything, but its their poor human rights records that don't make me want to support their goods. As of now, probably about 5% of my clothes are American made, none of my electronics are (although I'm sure they have electronic components inside that are from America), even my girl friend isn't even American made considering she's from Spain. LOL I see the country isn't doing to well, and a lot of 'associates' such as China are moving up in the world because we support them too much by us purchasing their goods, therefore American/NATO goods are what I'm aiming to buy from now on.
To get American made clothes you have to mostly shop online and since I am so tall (6'5") most of my clothes already come from the Internet so it is easier for me.

Old 03-12-2013, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
To get American made clothes you have to mostly shop online and since I am so tall (6'5") most of my clothes already come from the Internet so it is easier for me.
Good god dude, you're tall. I'm only 6 foot so its pretty easy to find clothes for me, but finding American clothes is a different story especially since I'm into high-end fashion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
I could care less if it made in America or China or Mexico or Germany or any other country.

Why do you want kids in China to starve to death?
I don't want kids to starve in China, I want kids to stop working at 7 years old. You can support that non-sense to save a few dollars, but I won't, at least I'll try not to. I specifically said I'll buy from other countries as well as long as they are NATO or have a good humans right record, but say if South Korea's Samsung had a TV for $1,200 and America's Apple had a TV for $1,200 as well, I'd buy the American first although I love both countries, America comes first in my eyes. But if the Apple TV were $1,500, and the Samsung were still $1,200 I'd probably go with the Samsung. When it comes to clothes its a different story as of today, I'm trying to buy strictly American clothing from now on although it will be a challenge and costly of course, I'll try to buy it.

Old 03-12-2013, 11:20 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,481,895 times
Quote:

Are you willing to pay the price for American made goods?
Yes. My favorite furniture retailer is Room&Board and a large percentage of their products are made in the USA.

[their prices mean a lot of their stuff can only be on my wish list]

Old 03-12-2013, 11:25 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,422,794 times
Buying American is so elitist.

Old 03-12-2013, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
Buying American is so elitist.
Living in palo alto is so elitist

Old 03-12-2013, 11:35 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,514,999 times
Quote:

I don't want kids to starve in China, I want kids to stop working at 7 years old. You can support that non-sense to save a few dollars, but I won't, at least I'll try not to. I specifically said I'll buy from other countries as well as long as they are NATO or have a good humans right record, but say if South Korea's Samsung had a TV for $1,200 and America's Apple had a TV for $1,200 as well, I'd buy the American first although I love both countries, America comes first in my eyes. But if the Apple TV were $1,500, and the Samsung were still $1,200 I'd probably go with the Samsung. When it comes to clothes its a different story as of today, I'm trying to buy strictly American clothing from now on although it will be a challenge and costly of course, I'll try to buy it.
If they are working at 7 years old it's because the other option is for them and their families to starve.

I work in manufacturing. We sell a lot of stuff overseas. So I see no particular reason to support American goods over any other. If I want them to support my products I should reciprocate.

And I'll let you in on a secret. The Western world has been buying goods from China since 1299 when Marco Polo went back to Milan. And the Chinese been buying from the West since then too.

And pretty much everything you buy is made in all different countries. Parts that go in a Samsung TV are made in the same factories as any TV made in the U.S. (if there are any made in the U.S.) It don't matter what the sticker says.

It makes absolutley no difference where the good is from. Hell, an American automobile has 20,000 parts on it and those parts are made in dozens of countries. It's all good.

Most of this "Made in America" stuff is marketing. Doesn't make a lot of difference in the grand scheme of things, as it is almost a certainity that some of it touched a foreigners hands.

If you really want to support American manufacturing you should lobby Congress to get rid of silly regulations, lower business taxes and outlaw unions. That's what drives companies overseas and it's what makes it hard for Americans compete.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies