Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should "no insurance allowed" practices be banned?
Yes 9 13.04%
No 60 86.96%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 10:11 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,291,205 times

Advertisements

The Obamacare Revolt: Physicians Fight Back Against the Bureaucratization of Health Care - Reason.com

Quote:
Dr. Lisa Davidson had 8 years of frustration while running a successful traditional practice in Denver, Colorado. She had 6,000 patients when she decided to stop taking insurance and adopt the same business model as Neuhofel. Her patient list has dropped to about 2,000. She used to spend about 15 minutes with each patient and now it's more like 45 minutes. "We're on track to make more money and take better care of our patients," says Davidson. "It's a win-win all around."
Given their recent surge, do these practices pose a threat to equality in healthcare?

Personally, I think it's a fantastic idea and one that will be difficult or impossible to actually ban.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2013, 10:14 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,654,236 times
They are moving to make all those that practice medicine or are in the health related field, to be employees of the government.

Old 03-13-2013, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
They are moving to make all those that practice medicine or are in the health related field, to be employees of the government.
There's definitely consolidation involved. IIRC, private practices are closing shop and the doctors are being assimilated into large faceless corporate practices, decreasing doctor-to-patient consultation times and making the process appear more like a deli counter than health care.

Old 03-13-2013, 10:16 AM

6,476 posts, read 7,326,616 times
Such practices can not be banned in a free country.

For whatever it's worth, this doesn't mean a patient can't pay the physician in cash and file a claim with his insurer for reimbursement.

Old 03-13-2013, 10:17 AM

5,064 posts, read 5,732,396 times
No, these practices are exactly what health care should be. Pay out of pocket for doctor's visits, medicines, and save insurance for major things like hospitalization, cancer treatments, etc. We are on a high deductible plan, and it's amazing how affordable medical expenses can be when you are an engaged consumer. And we have coverage in case something major happens.
Unfortunately next year our insurance costs are going to go through the roof b/c Obamacare doesn't allow our plan.

Old 03-13-2013, 10:18 AM

6,476 posts, read 7,326,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
There's definitely consolidation involved. IIRC, private practices are closing shop and the doctors are being assimilated into large faceless corporate practices, decreasing doctor-to-patient consultation times and making the process appear more like a deli counter than health care.
The government, in it's barefaced attempt to drive private practices out of existence, is making paperwork so onerous and costly that physicians are driven in to hospital based practice, since paperwork there can be centralized in a more cost-efficient process.

Old 03-13-2013, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
The government, in it's barefaced attempt to drive private practices out of existence, is making paperwork so onerous and costly that physicians are driven in to hospital based practice, since paperwork there can be centralized in a more cost-efficient process.
Don't forget the cheaper rates for malpractice insurance when hired at a conglomerate.

Ironic that we in the computer industry refer to this as moving backwards, or going from distributed computing to a monolithic mainframe architecture.

Old 03-13-2013, 10:29 AM

13,694 posts, read 9,016,074 times
Quote:
The Obamacare Revolt: Physicians Fight Back Against the Bureaucratization of Health Care - Reason.com

Given their recent surge, do these practices pose a threat to equality in healthcare?

Personally, I think it's a fantastic idea and one that will be difficult or impossible to actually ban.

A very interesting article and one I shall mull over.

I will note that my great-grandfather was a medical doctor and, of course, accepted either cash or barter (fixing a door, eggs, etc).

As a youth in the early 1960s our family doctor was cash-only. However, he retired in the 1970s after being sued by a patient for not correctly diagnosing some problem (I forget the details). It was in the 1970s that malpractive suits against medical doctors (and hospitals) began skyrocketing.

Which leads me to a general question: do these doctors, like the ones cited in the article, not have liability insurance? It may be well to have only 2,000 patients, but if just one patient decides to sue then the doctor is left exposed to a potentially devasting financial hit.

The issues are, I believe, rather tied together. As malpractice suits against medical doctors rose, medical doctors began having to purchase medical malpractice insurance. When some patients began to collect huge (I mean, huge) verdicts against medical doctors (which the insurance companies were obliged to pay) insurance rates rose. As insurance rates rose, doctors (and hospitals, etc) had to raise their own rates. As they raise their rates, people were eventually priced out and so sought health insurance.

It is a vicious cycle. I wish the article would 'follow up' on the individual doctors named in about five years, and see what their status is.

Old 03-13-2013, 10:33 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,654,236 times
They don't call it a medical PRACTICE, for nothing.

They practice on you, until they get it right.

Old 03-13-2013, 10:33 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:

What's this got to do with Obamacare? There was no "Obamacare" 8 years ago. It's only been around the past 3, and only parts in effect the last two or so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies