Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2013, 11:28 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,832,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
It's not a disconnect at all.
Every generation has its own set of problems.
In the 1970s, in Pittsburgh and Cleveland, the steel industries closed their doors.
Tell your sad tale to these people.

Figure out your problems and take it from there.
What do you want?
Every generation has it's own problems and figure out the solutions that work best for them.
Really, what do you expect from others?

So now you're throwing threats, well, we're going to get you when we come into power.
What power do you think we have? We eek out livings, and have as much control as you do.
That means little to none.

SS is not a damned entitlement. I've paid into it for 42 (almost 43) years.
It was self-perpetuating until the government took it.

Your maturity level speaks volumes.
My maturity level? All you ever post is stop whining.

Every generation had issues, but the decline in the rust belt is no where near as vast the decline in the last 5 years. SS and Medicare is definatly an entitlement, you can collect SSD without paying into it. Plus your generation hasn't paid enough into it, it is not solvent and frankly by the time I go to collect in 30+ years I'm sure it will be means tested because their wont be enough money for the younger generations.

And the baby boomers control the wealth in this nation, you can save the were poor too routine

"The typical U.S. household headed by a person age 65 or older has a net worth 47 times greater than a household headed by someone under 35, according to an analysis of census data released Monday.

While people typically accumulate assets as they age, this wealth gap is now more than double what it was in 2005 and nearly five times the 10-to-1 disparity a quarter-century ago, after adjusting for inflation."

"Older Americans are staying in jobs longer, while young adults now face the highest unemployment since World War II. As a result, the median income of older-age households since 1967 has grown at four times the rate of those headed by the under-35 age group."
US wealth gap between young and old is widest ever - BusinessWeek

I'm not here asking for a hand out or wanting someone to pay my way. ll I am saying is gen Y and soon to be millienials face real challenges in the work place and our American dream has been put on hold. Some of this is the fault of our up bringing but just as much, if not more, can be blaimed on the crapy economy and lack of jobs. The old shtick of I could do it so can you, just try harder is not a real solution.

Old 03-14-2013, 11:28 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,299,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
What is wrong with waiting tables? My brother did that and my gf does that now (technically she is a bartender) and I worked just about every job under the sun until I got my current one.
The friend I mentioned who made it big in real estate even in this bad economy did so by making tons of social contacts during his 5 years of busting his a** bartending.

Old 03-14-2013, 11:29 AM

2,096 posts, read 4,781,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
What is wrong with waiting tables? My brother did that and my gf does that now (technically she is a bartender) and I worked just about every job under the sun until I got my current one.
I wouldn't mind doing that. Problem is I don't have any connections. It's not what you know but who you know with those kinds of jobs.

Old 03-14-2013, 11:29 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,302,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
I know it's easy to point fingers and just say I'm lazy, it's me the system is great, etc. I know. This is a right-wing message board so it's what I expect.

But the fact is it's just not that easy to make money. I had a "job" where I went through somebody's emails. It sounded good, until I realized that I was making less than $2 an hour doing it. When you have no friends in low places and very little work experience there's no hope of getting even the most humble job.
Hahaha.
I'm anything but right wing.
But nice deflection.
You're responsible for your own life.

Old 03-14-2013, 11:30 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,267,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
I guess "possible" would be a more accurate word than "easy".
I have no idea what "possible" is suppose to mean. I have 4 kids 27 and under and all 4 are working.

But maybe you might consider that your idea of being able to traipse around the world simply because you are young is a part of your problem.

You have a degree. Join the military.

Old 03-14-2013, 11:31 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,792,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Actually this is the generation that did get a trophy for just showing up.
My son, at 12, had more trophies than Jim Thorpe did
This is the "Everyone is a winner" generation.
This is the generation of "Mommy's little snowflake".

They are finding out that the real world doesn't operate like they've been taught.
It's called Terminal Uniqueness.

Old 03-14-2013, 11:31 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,299,683 times
Again, the OP is way too focused on anti-social networking jobs like "going through someone's e-mails".

Old 03-14-2013, 11:32 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,302,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
We didn't create anything. We lived in the system (or should that be game?) that had already been created for us. Just as ya'll are. We were pawn's then.. the only difference now is we've become a little more experienced at the game. Your being jealous of the Knights and Rooks, but what you fail to recognize is that they too are just pieces of the game.
^^^
This.
Exactly this.
Every generation get this.

Old 03-14-2013, 11:33 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,867,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
You Boomers are missing the point.

And honestly, congratulations on our current predicament. You can't even see what you helped create.

The "Oblivious" generation. Or maybe the "divisive" generation. Or maybe the generation of greed.
What makes you think we had it any easier? Fresh out of nursing school, Nixon slapped on wage and price controls in 1971. Next was the "energy crisis" of 1973. There was the mortgage interest crisis of the early 80s, with interest on a home lone at 18%. Several more energy crises. Black something day in 1987, me with a 3 month old baby to support. Gimme a break! No on ever had it easy!

Old 03-14-2013, 11:33 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,557,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
My maturity level? All you ever post is stop whining.

Every generation had issues, but the decline in the rust belt is no where near as vast the decline in the last 5 years. SS and Medicare is definatly an entitlement, you can collect SSD without paying into it. Plus your generation hasn't paid enough into it, it is not solvent and frankly by the time I go to collect in 30+ years I'm sure it will be means tested because their wont be enough money for the younger generations.

And the baby boomers control the wealth in this nation, you can save the were poor too routine

"The typical U.S. household headed by a person age 65 or older has a net worth 47 times greater than a household headed by someone under 35, according to an analysis of census data released Monday.

While people typically accumulate assets as they age, this wealth gap is now more than double what it was in 2005 and nearly five times the 10-to-1 disparity a quarter-century ago, after adjusting for inflation."

"Older Americans are staying in jobs longer, while young adults now face the highest unemployment since World War II. As a result, the median income of older-age households since 1967 has grown at four times the rate of those headed by the under-35 age group."
US wealth gap between young and old is widest ever - BusinessWeek
Geeze..logic should tell you that someone working 30 years longer than someone else would have more wealth. You want all ages to have the same level of wealth..the 65 year old and the 35 year old ?

You need to find another country because the US isn't what you want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies