Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2013, 06:46 PM

8,104 posts, read 3,962,184 times

Advertisements

Get a finance degree and join one of the too big to fail banks.
Go into politics and become a politician taking other peoples money to fatten your wallet and your fellow banker and corporate cronies.
Make a life long career out of the military in protecting the global interests and of big business and finance.
Go join the DHS in keeping people in their place as the noose continues to get tightened.
Go join one of the Multi Corps connected to the hip of the government.

There are many options out there.

Old 03-14-2013, 06:52 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,909,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
The thing is the world is different now. It's not the 60s, 70s or 80s anymore. Sometimes there is no way up. That's why you see 40 year olds working at McDonalds. There are only so many well paying blue collar and professional educated jobs.

I think the solution is to combat corporate greed, and then cut hours yet also pay people more per hour.
Uh; I an "old Gen Xer" but my younger Boomer homies told me things got real bad in the 1970's for them. The OLDER Boomers and the "Happy Days" gen did well tho they had to look at the Vietnam War.

Old 03-14-2013, 06:52 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,340,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Obviously your degree did not take hold. That may be your problem. People in the 80's didn't give up looking for work?

Do you not note another problem facing those in the time frame I note? The rate of males in the market has been falling pretty big with the rate of women going up because one job was no longer cutting it. Did all those men just move elsewhere or did some of them simply quit looking?

Did you bother to note the inflation rates at the time? How is 4% for a home loan worse than 10-12-18%?
Inflation is never as bad as unemployment. In economics, we learn that there is somewhat of a trade off being inflation and unemployment, but unemployment is still worse because people who are unemployed lose their sense of hope and value.

And did you even read my graph? It accounts for both males and females in the work place. Males have had slightly falling labor force participation over the past few decades, and that is due to a number of factors, such as going to college, stay at home parenting, etc. Even with the falling of male participation in the workforce the growth of females in the workforce more than off set it. The 1980s recession had no fall in workforce participation (as in, chronically unemployed people just giving up on looking for work), like this past recession did. I would take your inflation rate over our 16% U6 unemployment rate any day of the week.

Old 03-14-2013, 06:53 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,940,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
Get a finance degree and join one of the too big to fail banks.
Go into politics and become a politician taking other peoples money to fatten your wallet and your fellow banker and corporate cronies.
Make a life long career out of the military in protecting the global interests and of big business and finance.
Go join the DHS in keeping people in their place as the noose continues to get tightened.
Go join one of the Multi Corps connected to the hip of the government.

There are many options out there.
LOL well said and very appropriate, I'd rep you if I could. While there are many of us Millennials that do not want to work our youth away effectively keeping the house of cards taped together, I think this is some really good advice:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCSDays View Post
No, it is not hard to start for your generation. In fact, every single generation says that. You just have to do it. Quick talking about it or complaining about it, and go do it. As you sit there and complain, your life is flying by and you do not even realize it. Go do something - anything - just start.

Old 03-14-2013, 06:58 PM

20,728 posts, read 19,371,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
What's wrong with walking to school in the snow?

Granted, 20 miles a day is a bit much for a kid, and walking up hill both ways doesn't make sense...

...But if you're dressed well it's not the hardest thing in the world.

You swung at a Bill Cosby curve ball like it was fast and over the plate.

Old 03-14-2013, 06:59 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
Inflation is never as bad as unemployment. In economics, we learn that there is somewhat of a trade off being inflation and unemployment, but unemployment is still worse because people who are unemployed lose their sense of hope and value.
With both being higher in the early 80's. Inflation far higher.

Quote:
And did you even read my graph? It accounts for both males and females in the work place. Males have had slightly falling labor force participation over the past few decades, and that is due to a number of factors, such as going to college, stay at home parenting, etc. Even with the falling of male participation in the workforce the growth of females in the workforce more than off set it. The 1980s recession had no fall in workforce participation (as in, chronically unemployed people just giving up on looking for work), like this past recession did. I would take your inflation rate over our 16% U6 unemployment rate any day of the week.
The falling rate for men wasn't because they all went to school. They quit looking. So the 13% real unemployment was higher for those in real life.

You have no argument. And as I note, both of us are very lucky we never had to face landing on Normandy.

Old 03-14-2013, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
How many possible jobs are there for graduates of Women's studies? Seriously... the reason so many college graduates are unemployed is that there just aren't enough jobs for everyone right now. We're told every day by our government that there are not enough Americans trained in the sciences. Yet, ask a scientist and they'll tell you there is a glut of scientist's. PhD's who can't find any other job than a post-doc paying less than 50K per year.

And... how many of these unemployed college graduates are willing to take something "beneath" them? Try being 50, being laid-off without a college degree and try to get a job now. College graduates are given MORE of an opportunity then you believe. Why are they so special?
I love how you fossils think that generation Y is majoring in 'women's studies' by the millions. We aren't. Higher numbers of us are majoring in the sciences, health fields, mathmatics, and business than any prior generation. And we have to compete with billions of others across the globe who will work for pennies because they just want to come to America.

And as I stated! Most college grads only want a livable income. We aren't out to find gold mines. My first job out of college paid 15.5 an hour. I was EXTREMELY happy with that. It pays my bills (I don't have student loans thank god) and even provides for some socializing on the weekends. I don't know of anyone who graduated around me who landed a first job that paid more than 17 bucks an hour.

Old 03-14-2013, 07:01 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,290,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
It wasn't just me who had a poor upbringing.

I am just saying that I am not sympathetic to the older generation that says the new generation is lazy, because the older generation had the responsibility of raising the younger one.
Where did I ever say that?
I didn't raise anyone.
So don't put your parents poor parenting skills on me.
That's a load.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
Ah yes my college education, which scholarships covered 100% of tuition and a fair amount of room and board. That is what happens when your SAT combined scores are over 100 pts higher then the school average (on the 1600 scale).
In verbal? Wouldn't that be "than" the school average?
What would I know, I'm dumb and old.
And obviously the cause of all of your personal shortcomings.

Old 03-14-2013, 07:03 PM

41,967 posts, read 75,217,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
I think you're taking that out of context.
You misread the graph. Go back and look at it again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I like the "buy a home and start a family" for those just starting out.

It doesn't happen like that. Being able to figure out how to live on your own and pay for it and make due is what "starting out" is all about.
Exactly. Most of my friends didn't start buying homes until we were in our 30s, for some of us well after we started our families. Just because you're married or have kids doesn't mean you are entitled to buying a house.

Quote:
The boomers (and particularly the Xers) have NEVER experienced anything like what generation Y is going through right now. I would love to see how any of them would handle being educated, having years of work experience, and not being able to find a job ANYWHERE!
First off, you're wrong -- do a little digging and read up on the oil embargo and energy crisis, the collapse of the steel, auto and other manufacturing industries, double-digit inflation and double-digit unemployment in the mid-70s to mid-80s. You're smart and educated; I don't need to spoon-feed you (or do I?).

Second, ever hear of age discrimination? It ain't legal, but it is being done. Layoffs hit the more experienced workers the hardest; no one wants to hire people 55 and older.

Quote:
Honestly, the fact that so many of us Yers have degrees is killing us.
So go learn to be a plumber or electrician. I could use a good plumber.

Quote:
Unemployment was high in the early 80s, but it wasn't as high as it has been these past five years.
Hmmmm. If you go back and average it out, it's about the same -- a little less than 8.5 percent. Where I lived, unemployment was more than 13 percent locally for the better part of two years, and 11 percent statewide.

Add in double-digit inflation and double-digit interest rates in the late 70s/early 80s, and you have a completely different picture.

Quote:
The biggest thing to remember is that the current unemployment rate doesn't include the millions of Americans who are simply no longer counted in the labor force because they have given up on searching for a job.
It never has, so that point is irrelevant.

Old 03-14-2013, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
With both being higher in the early 80's. Inflation far higher.

The falling rate for men wasn't because they all went to school. They quit looking. So the 13% real unemployment was higher for those in real life.

You have no argument. And as I note, both of us are very lucky we never had to face landing on Normandy.
Not only do I have an argument, but I can add to what I have already argued!

Firstly, your unemployment rate was not higher. If your recession had a fall out in labor force participation rate like ours did, then it might. It didn't, therefor the unemployment rate was not worse. The fall in labor force participation that this recession caused makes our unemployment rate look better than it is.

As for inflation, you can have that one.

More points to argue are:

Our (official, not real) unemployment rate has been above 7.5 for longer than the 1980s recession.

And, the recession in the 1980s dispoportionately affected northern manufacturing areas like Flint, Toledo, and Youngstown. Alabama and Mississippi got hit hard too. Millions of men had to go on to find lives more significant than putting bumper after bumper on a car. This recession on the other hand has affected everyone. No one has been immune to it. Not even those with a college educated brain. I have NEVER heard a baby boomer outside of this forum complain about how bad the 1980s recession was. The few times I have brought it up with older relatives and co-workers they have ALL literally replied along the lines of "There was a recession in the 80s?".

You say those times were so bad. Hah. So many don't even have a clue bad times existed. Everyone will remember this recession for decades to come.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies