Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2013, 02:37 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,698,390 times

Advertisements

Why all the class talk in the first place?

We as Americans left all the titles of nobility back in Europe and we're not a society of casts either.

If nothing else, President Obama is testament to this.

Maybe things are different in California or maybe I just happen to know a lot of people that started with little or nothing and succeeded...

Old 03-15-2013, 02:37 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,794,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
i've already mentioned Medicare Part D about 4 times so far

that's just one simple, idiot-proof example of getting benefits you didn't pay for.
Except that I do not get Medicare, or SS. I pay into them.

If you're talking about wealthy recipients who receive SS and Medicare benefits as a bonus to already large incomes, then I agree; but they are the exception, rather than the majority.

Look, I'll be 55 next year, and I hope they bring some sanity back into the Medicare and SS programs. I hope they keep the current benefits (with caveats) for the now (or soon to be) retired. My age group will be the most hammered if it is changed this year, yet I welcome it. We cannot continue down this road and expect the programs to survive.

I understand that everyone needs to share a little pain for the common good, but not robbed in the process. The policies of the current administration, just as his predecessor, are going to kill what's left of the middle class. YOUR best chance at a future is if this doesn't materialize.

We baby boomers and X-gens are the majority of small business job creators. As we go, so will the generations following us.

Old 03-15-2013, 02:39 PM

2,256 posts, read 2,132,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post

We as Americans left all the titles of nobility back in Europe and we're not a society of casts either.

Maybe things are different in California or maybe I just happen to know a lot of people that started with little or nothing and succeeded...
What America did you grow up in???

No classes??? There are most definitely classes.

The only difference between us and the countries with rigid class systems is that here one can change their class through merit.

The class system still does exist though.

And Obama doesn't prove anything other than one can transcend class through merit.

Old 03-15-2013, 02:44 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,745,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Except that I do not get Medicare, or SS.
well then, if you don't get medicare or SS, and never will, then i guess you aren't part of the problem.

Quote:
We baby boomers and X-gens are the majority of small business job creators.
i guess that explains why so few jobs are being created

Old 03-15-2013, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Rich, privileged, conservative always say that? Of course they do because that is how it is done. But instead of believing the truth you can continue listening to Obama and the democratic lies, be an Obama boob and stay poor?

These people are lost causes. I think they like being "POOR" Obama boobs.
Here Here... I prefer the term Obamatrons, because their belief is based on a reflex rather than common sense.

Obamanomics is trickle up that feeds on the middle class and poor, under the guise of being a champion for them. It's candy land politics, and the super wealthy have never been wealthier. Now the super wealthy are feeding on the moderately wealthy. Millionaires have declined, while billionaires have expanded. Even less people are controlling more wealth. This is exactly the opposite result Obama claimed his administration would create. SOP SNAFU

Last edited by steven_h; 03-15-2013 at 02:56 PM..

Old 03-15-2013, 02:49 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btsilver View Post
I think it's funny that people as JUST blaming Obama and his administration.
I think if you actually read the replies you will see some not doing that but rather blaming Obama for continuing the same failed policies.

Old 03-15-2013, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post

Funny you should mention that ...

U.S. Supreme Court Justice John Paul Stevens called California’s pre-Prop. 13 landowning class "the Squires" whose tax advantages are "a privilege of a medieval character."

Old 03-15-2013, 02:52 PM

Quote:
well then, if you don't get medicare or SS, and never will, then i guess you aren't part of the problem.
You mean it's okay that I pay into it, but I should never get anything in return? How about we cut SS out for anyone 55 and under and return THIER money into their 401k's or IRA's? That works for me.

Quote:
We baby boomers and X-gens are the majority of small business job creators.

Quote:
i guess that explains why so few jobs are being created
Now you GET IT!!! When you target job creators, over tax, over regulate (nanny-state) you get exactly that!

Welcome to the world of intended consequences, and equal misery for all.

Old 03-15-2013, 02:58 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,295,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
The issue with the Economy isn't about how YOU fare. The issues are that its not sustainable and that there are not enough jobs.

That's what you Boomers seem to be missing.

I mean honestly, if your trying to help. Then damnit help. Come down from your high horse.
We're living in the same economy.
I get it, you're so very special.
No one else suffers like you do.
My heart bleeds for you.

Old 03-15-2013, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
You mean it's okay that I pay into it, but I should never get anything in return?
No I mean if you aren't ever going to use it then i don't know why you're in this discussion.

Quote:
How about we cut SS out for anyone 55 and under and return THIER money into their 401k's or IRA's? That works for me.
Of course that works for you, that would be stealing.

Come to think of it, that's basically the Romney-Ryan plan.

Quote:
Now you GET IT!!! When you target job creators, over tax, over regulate (nanny-state) you get exactly that!
Over tax? You serious? Taxes are low.

The generation before you paid double and triple the tax rate of your generation, and they used it to build things like interstates that we still use today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies