Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2013, 12:52 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,389,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Bull.
And really, try a decent source.
Wiki doesn't cut it.
Business insider work for you?
US Debt To GDP - Business Insider

It is a fairly common graph and all it does is chart the debt to GDP ratio.

Old 03-14-2013, 12:53 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,454,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
No. I think every president except Clinton, up to and including Obama's first term had a hand in this and we are going to have to fight politically to get our politicians to act responsibly. I am ready to do that. I just dislike how this is getting dropped on my generation like a load of bricks and then insult is added to injury.
I actually liked and still like Clinton but he let some bad laws pass as well that in retrospect hurt our country more than helped. I would have voted for Hilary in 2008 because I figured it would be Bill helping her call the shots and I could live with that.

What you don't realize yet is that the youth vote is not unique to your generation.
It happens to every generation. Aren't you wiser now than in 2008 politically ?
I know my son is as he's now just starting to ask questions about what he hears/reads from MSM.

Old 03-14-2013, 12:53 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,686,373 times
You won't find any sympathy here. Most of CD is soulless and could care less because it doesn't effect them. Instead they will give you obsolete solutions that worked on them in 1970-2006 on why you're a failure and they're not or some stupid politically motivating rambling . But I understand you OP

Old 03-14-2013, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Shared sacrifice in policy? Not sure what you mean, but if you don't call millions of seniors having the goalposts moved regarding their retirement savings, a sacrifice I'm not sure what you're looking for.
You don't think that is fair, but do you think it is fair for young people to pay a lot of money into a retirement system that if not reformed through increased rates or decreased benefits they will not see?

Basically, if the goal posts are going to be moved they need to be moved on everyone, both current and future beneficiaries.

Old 03-14-2013, 12:54 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,461,817 times
Quote:
Oh I see so governance, that doesn't count and you cannot be blamed for the financial mess we are in. I am glad we have such a sterling model of personal responsibility in the older generation.
Insult all you want. It doesn't change the survey data.

You're making retorts to me after saying something you don't like, but I voted against against that spending and what you didn't like was survey data not my opinion. Meanwhile, Ceece over there is saying "you poor young people, the world is tough for you" and gets a pass, but she voted for that spending you're angry about.

Which just goes to prove my point. People like being told they are innocent victims. If the same people putting all that social justice stuff out there hadn't supported subprime mortgage loans, union control of education preventing reforms, welfare programs without adequate means testing, virtually unlimited student loans, massive involvement in healthcare, etc then the situation wouldn't be so bad to begin with.

Instead they say how unfair life is and point to some rich CEOs and call Republicans racists.

Meanwhile, they are presenting a budget right now with 100 billion in taxes and 100 billion in spending cuts while we have a trillion dollar deficit.

Old 03-14-2013, 12:55 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,141,275 times
Quote:
The "stuff" in red are responses to the other "stuff" offered from your generation and in point of fact originated with the O/P's offerings did they not? You did use the words "start this generational warfare" did you not?

Now as to the part of plenty of blame to go around; yeah man, you got that right!

Shared sacrifice in policy? Not sure what you mean, but if you don't call millions of seniors having the goalposts moved regarding their retirement savings, a sacrifice I'm not sure what you're looking for.
Amen! I remember hubby and I started talking about taking retirement at 55. Now we're looking at 70. I need binocular's to see those goalposts anymore!

Old 03-14-2013, 12:56 PM

Quote:
The "stuff" in red are responses to the other "stuff" offered from your generation and in point of fact originated with the O/P's offerings did they not? You did use the words "start this generational warfare" did you not?
The OP is hardly the first one to start this chicanery. What is weird is that a few years ago I would have been siding with you all, I think there is a thread on here to prove as much, however the hostility toward my generation has just gone too far.

Old 03-14-2013, 12:56 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,454,776 times
Quote:
You don't think that is fair, but do you think it is fair for young people to pay a lot of money into a retirement system that if not reformed through increased rates or decreased benefits they will not see?

Basically, if the goal posts are going to be moved they need to be moved on everyone, both current and future beneficiaries.
It will be reformed. It was in the past. FICA got increased and the age got increased as well for various birth dates.

SS is going to be the only source of retirement income for future generations.
It will not go bankrupt.

You can't move the goal posts for everyone because not everyone has the luxury of "time".
The goal posts got moved when I was young and my FICA got increased.
It was done so that it would be there for me when I qualified.

Old 03-14-2013, 12:57 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,481,679 times
Quote:
No. I think every president except Clinton, up to and including Obama's first term had a hand in this and we are going to have to fight politically to get our politicians to act responsibly. I am ready to do that. I just dislike how this is getting dropped on my generation like a load of bricks and then insult is added to injury.
No one is "dropping" it on your generation. You are coming of age my friend to face the same types of things we faced with stuff like world wars being "dropped" on us!

Looking backwards to find fault solves nothing.

The insults you speak of might be responses to the blame gamers? You think?

The "injury" you speak of equates to nothing previous generations have faced before you? Really?

Old 03-14-2013, 12:57 PM

20,708 posts, read 19,353,439 times
Quote:
Well lets take a look at how other generations did. I would in terms of the debt they were doing pretty darn good up until a certain generation came of age and elected Reagan.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._President.jpg

Yeah that Clinton era surplus and GDP ratio number was nothing other than the private sector who could not go into debt fast enough. That was the spring that set the housing bubble borrowing binge that led to the deb deflation hang over that left the choice of huge deficits or depression.

I don't know when we were doing pretty darn good except to say that during the Clinton era there was a supply side benefit of the Internet while we were awash in that credit.

How about debt financing no longer being tax deducible for anyone. If business can no longer deduct interest expenses it would do a world of good but don't expect big finance to go for it.

How the tax code encourages debt : The New Yorker

This crap always turns into a deficit. Get rid of the deduction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies