Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2013, 08:21 AM

3,537 posts, read 2,736,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGrey View Post
I'll echo what others have already said: Gen Y's largest problem is entitlement issues - held by a large part of them. Millenials are an unfortunate byproduct of the boomers who tend to believe they deserve everything. Being told no or that they aren't good at what they want, by in large flummoxes them.

If and when they wake up, they'll find much of life easier. Unfortunately, everything has been handed to them up to the point they start out. The idea they might have to eat Ramen for awhile is beyond them.

After working for over 20 years, my partner has to deal with a lot of fresh out of college Gen Y'ers. The issues they bring to the job are exclusive to their group alone. 21 year old interns have flat out told her and others in the upper tier how they did things was wrong while the 21 year old who had never worked before was right. Theirs is an attitude many of us may have thought at 21 but wouldn't have dared say to our bosses.

Others wanted to go to say Brazil, for example, to visit a friend or a lover. They would and have booked their hotel, sublet their apartments, etc all while assuming they could get the company to send them because there was say a conference or meeting in the area. They make their plans and assume everyone else will fall in line, then throw fits when the company said no.

These are not isolated incidents either. I could list a great many others from multiple Gen Yers. The things Millenials believe they are entitled to can be mind boggling. It has nothing to do with the economy, illegals or politics and everything to do with them.
As A GEN Xer I completely agree. This is what I blame the Boomers for - Creating this incredible sense of entitlement in their offspring.

Meanwhile , as I mentioned earlier, My grandfather lived through the depression and 2 world wars and created a great career in pharma. He had very little education as well.

Old 03-15-2013, 08:22 AM

4,112 posts, read 4,475,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
I am sure it's cheap somewhere. I know folks renting a 1 bedroom 2 bathroom in Miami for 500. This is a bike ride away from the beach, and with a pool. Decent neighborhood.
This is Arlington, though. People have roommates sharing a bathroom and pay 1000 in rent only. And that's the part of arlington not in walking distance to the metro.

Old 03-15-2013, 08:24 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,129,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Why the need for so many illegals if unemployment is so high? Unemployment is staying high for a few reasons. Now I did argue how tough things were in the mid 70's to mid 80's but we didn't have to compete with so much illegals. Part of that was because we would take those jobs.

There is also the problem with the government extending unemployment for years. It seems that there is a segment perfectly happy to just collect unemployment.

If you are only interested in one particular job it's possible that it will be very hard to find a job but if you are willing to simply take a job, they are out there.
Because they're cheap labor.

I agree with ya on unemployment. That really bothers me. Unemployment benefits extend way too long. They also shouldn't come at the business owner's expense.

I agree with you about the "any job" concept too. There are jobs out there, but the problem IMO, is that far too many of them don't allow you to support yourself, let alone raise a family. Which in turn uses up more resources because the government has to pick up the bill.

Thanks Wal-Mart.

All I'm arguing is this, that the economy is not sustainable.

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
I am sure I grew up in a worse economic situation than you. However, whining never occurred to me.
a perfect example of the ignorance and condescention here

you don't know anything about this person's economic situation!

And you chastize someone for "whining" , right before you spend 4 paragraphs whining.

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
Gen Y's biggest problem are BOOMER entitlements: the unyielding expansion of social security and Medicare that hasn't been paid for.

What entitlements does Gen Y enjoy? Please elaborate.
If that is a problem (and it is) you have to start voting for those who are willing to address it. As long as you continue to vote for those that promote a further expansion, you really can't complain if you get what you voted for.

Old 03-15-2013, 08:25 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,129,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
Being born in 1983, my advice is: Don't be born later than 1985.

If you were like me, you got a job and a 401k and a decent raise JUST before the boomers destroyed the economy.

Once I joined up on this big ship, I watched all the old guard "pull up the ladders", freeze all hiring, freeze all salaries. I know I got lucky with my timing.... it's painful to see all these idiots who think that "hard work" is the problem with our economy.

I'm constantly reminded on this forum by how many geezers were born on home plate and think they hit a home run. They tell themselves they "earned what they have", but in reality most of the boomer wealth is a result of pumping the economy full of debt until it collapsed.
Same here. I graduated in '08. Made it in right before the bust.

I couldn't agree more with your sentiment.

Old 03-15-2013, 08:28 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,493,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Sell everything. Right so I should sell stuff that would not fetch but a total of $100-150 if I am lucky and not have my laptop which I use to look for other jobs with more opportunity, not have bed sheets to cover myself at night, not have pillows to lay my head on, not have clothes to start my job (remember I have a job which requires business casual dress so going naked is not gonna happen), not have soap to wash with, not have food to eat, basically forget about having any bare necessities which would help me get started in Arlington?

I'm done here. The geezers can have this argument, I'm getting back to work.
Like I guessed; he never even investigated cheaper cost temporary housing.

NO bar of soap to shower with...... brother!

Keep up with the geezer slights. They're oh so tweenie of you.

You've got a job, a car, a place to live, "business casual clothes" to work in but you're still on here whining bub.

You got from one place to another with all of your comfort possessions intact didn't you?

What the hell are you crying over again?

Oh yeah; life is soooo much tougher for generation "Y" and that's the fault of the Boomer or "X" generation.

Old 03-15-2013, 08:28 AM

14,682 posts, read 14,652,852 times
Well, I grew up in the 80s where Reagan and his deregulated Wall Street began this debt fiasco which is all of a sudden Obama's fault. So you have a point...
Still, the good wage and the 401k and all that are still within reach if you make yourself the exception and not the rule. Besides, too many of the younger generation think they've got it bad if they can't afford the latest I-Phone. Guess what, my calls go through just fine on a flip-phone

Old 03-15-2013, 08:30 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
If that is a problem (and it is) you have to start voting for those who are willing to address it.
Oh, okay.

So it's MY fault personally that the 1994 law changed

Quote:
As long as you continue to vote for those that promote a further expansion, you really can't complain if you get what you voted for.
First -- how, exactly, do you claim to know who I voted for?

Second -- regardless of who I voted for, what does this have to do with the 1994 law?

Third -- If you knew that UE was calculated differently in 1980 and 2013, then WHY did you ignore that when making your argument?

Old 03-15-2013, 08:31 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Because they're cheap labor.

I agree with ya on unemployment. That really bothers me. Unemployment benefits extend way too long. They also shouldn't come at the business owner's expense.

I agree with you about the "any job" concept too. There are jobs out there, but the problem IMO, is that far too many of them don't allow you to support yourself, let alone raise a family. Which in turn uses up more resources because the government has to pick up the bill.

Thanks Wal-Mart.

All I'm arguing is this, that the economy is not sustainable.
You are almost there. There is nothing that says a starting job should be one that provides you with an income to buy a house and raise a family.

It is also your choice where you decide to do this. If you pick a high cost of living place like the earlier example Arlington, that is a choice you made.

I make sacrifices to live in a low cost of living area. There isn't the entertainment available that there is in other areas. I have to drive 3 hours if I want to go to a MLB game. The idea that you should be able to have it all, all the time, especially when you are first starting out has never worked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies