Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 02:45 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,049,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
I am a child whose parents divorced.

I would also not exist had the Vietnam War not occurred.
And I would not exist if WWII had not occurred.

My parents met on a train when my father was being sent to a new base before being sent to England.

As soon as my father caught sight of my mother, he told his buddy......"See ya later, I am going to go sit by THAT girl.

They never divorced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2013, 02:47 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
Quote:
Narcissism?

How about moralistic?
Morals when you are a teen and young adult maybe, that's what we tell them to keep them from getting in over their heads at a young age. Pushing 40 it's no longer about morals, it's a byproduct of something deeper. You are fine with a life of celibacy, you don't and may never have sex, yet you take a position of superiority over those who are, for lack of a better word, "normal" humans. There are reasons for lifelong celibacy that go far beyond "morals". I can't even begin to know what they are and I don't particularly care.

Old 03-16-2013, 02:49 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,013,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
You couldn't step up unless your donors stepped up. Good luck finding enough donors who are willing to donate enough money to take the place of government programs.
The organization is close to 3 million strong.

I think that we can do what you consider impossible without government support.

Old 03-16-2013, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Sex is natural human action. There is no reason to go without sex.
Not being married is a valid reason.

I am sorry that you have apparently never practiced self control.

Old 03-16-2013, 02:54 AM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Morals when you are a teen and young adult maybe, that's what we tell them to keep them from getting in over their heads at a young age. Pushing 40 it's no longer about morals, it's a byproduct of something deeper. You are fine with a life of celibacy, you don't and may never have sex, yet you take a position of superiority over those who are, for lack of a better word, "normal" humans. There are reasons for lifelong celibacy that go far beyond "morals". I can't even begin to know what they are and I don't particularly care.
Exactly.

Not to mention morals are highly subjective, so yes Harrier, you are being narcissistic in demanding only YOURS are the "right" ones. What is immoral about an unmarried adult couple engaging in natural sexual relations, particularly if they're monogamous and/or long-term? Because they lack a piece of paper from the government, it is thus immoral? For somebody who claims to be a small-government Republican, you sure are hung up on their approval to define morality.

And don't tell me you're speaking of religious marriage, because that would mean legally-married Atheists were immorally having sex... I doubt even you believe that!

Old 03-16-2013, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
You absolutely cannot say that for a fact, as anyone here who's been surprised by a "revelation" (from a loved one) can confirm. I've witnessed that myself, so there is no way you can say you know 100% of everything about everyone. End of story.

And for the record, I personally know of a few conservatives who've had abortions - so based solely on MY experiences, I can say they do cross political lines.
I could bave been surprised when my parents divorced, but instead i was 4 years old and quite aware that I was separated from one parent and moved to a different state.

Old 03-16-2013, 02:56 AM

23,654 posts, read 17,514,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I'm flattered, or frightened - perhaps both.

But my mother always taught me "don't buy a pair of shoes before trying them on!" And this coming from a woman who did wait until marriage, and was (somewhat) regretful of that choice. Truth of the matter is, sexual compatibility is an important factor in a marriage/relationship. So what if you marry, and then find out you're not compatible? I guess a virgin wouldn't know any better, but might eventually wonder why their friends seem to have more fun - or why they have the urge to stray. Hmmm.
And I know many who waited until marriage and are perfectly happy now and never strayed. Seems marriage counseling is in order for those who are unhappy but now a days divorce is pushed by the councilors. One needs to be careful who they pick to help them.

Old 03-16-2013, 02:59 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,049,849 times
Quote:
The organization is close to 3 million strong.

I think that we can do what you consider impossible without government support.
So who's stopping you from stepping in and taking people off of welfare?

Old 03-16-2013, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
I seriously doubt that. How could you possibly know what goes on inside another woman's uterus? (Answer: you can't)
Any member of family would let me know if they were pregnant.

I am sorry that your family apparently does not operate that way, but in my family, we are pretty much open about things - including political views, which often run counter to my own.

There are many liberals in my family - yet I hate no one, especially members of my own family - which invalidates the opiniions of people on this forum who claim that I hate liberals.

Old 03-16-2013, 03:00 AM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:
I could bave been surprised when my parents divorced, but instead i was 4 years old and quite aware that I was separated from one parent and moved to a different state.
I was 20 and in college when mine divorced, and it wasn't a big surprise... they were ill-fitted from the beginning, and I'd always predicted they wouldn't last forever. They did last 27 years, though, which practically IS forever by modern standards!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies