Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2013, 07:49 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,977,958 times

Advertisements

Today I swung my front door wide open and placed my Remington 742 auto-loader right in the doorway. I laid 2 full magazines nearby, then left it alone and went about my business.

While I was gone, the mailman delivered my mail, the neighbor across the street mowed the yard, a girl walked her dog down the street, and quite a few cars stopped at the stop sign right in front of our house.

After about an hour, I checked on the gun. It was still sitting there, right where I had left it. It certainly hadn't killed anyone, even with the numerous opportunities it had been presented to do so. In fact, it hadn't even loaded itself. Well, you can imagine my surprise….. with all the media hype about how dangerous guns are….. and how they kill people. Either the media is wrong, and it's the misuse of guns by PEOPLE that kills people, or I'm in possession of the laziest gun in the world.
Alright, I'm off to check on my spoons. I hear they're making people fat.

Yessir, guns are DANGEROUS! When PEOPLE pick them up! Just like knives, chainsaws, golf clubs, pool cues, baseball bats (especially those aluminum "assault bats"!), 32 ounce sodas, 24 ounce milkshakes, double cheeseburgers, etc.
Yes, folks, it is a dangerous world. Do you know what MAKES the world a dangerous place?
YOU AND I DO!
To paraphrase Pogo Possum (or, would it be a quote? whatever...), "We have met the enemy, and he is US!"

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2013, 07:56 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,370,953 times
The problem is clearly because the 742 doesn't have a dangerous pistol grip, flash suppressor and probably has eco friendly wood and not wicked black plastic stocks. Any of that and your neighborhood would have been a slaughterhouse for sure.

Old 03-15-2013, 08:12 PM

Well, then, I guess I should try it again, but I need to get the black plastic stock for my Mossberg Plinkster .22 auto loader. Yeah, the one that makes it look just like an Ar-15.
Nah, I don't want to spend the money for the fool thing.

Old 03-15-2013, 09:15 PM

2,468 posts, read 1,919,213 times
Can I use this very innocent gun to make dinner? Or fix electronics? Or use it in my workshop? Maybe I can use this gun to drive to work?

Hmmmm....I wonder what this innocent gun just lying around was originally made for...

Old 03-15-2013, 09:23 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,954,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorqual View Post
Can I use this very innocent gun to make dinner? Or fix electronics? Or use it in my workshop? Maybe I can use this gun to drive to work?

Hmmmm....I wonder what this innocent gun just lying around was originally made for...

It was not made to answer stupid questions.

Old 03-15-2013, 09:27 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,822,024 times
I have a whole safe full of guns, none of them have gone off either.

Old 03-15-2013, 09:36 PM

Of course, I don't know about YOUR "innocent guns", but all of the guns I have ever owned (except for those issued to me by the military) were made for target shooting or hunting game.
That is also all they have EVER been used for!

I'm sure you have a vehicle of some kind "to drive to work". How many people are killed by vehicles EVERY DAY?? How many people has YOUR vehicle killed?
More animals of various species are killed by vehicles every year than during hunting season. How many ANIMALS has your vehicle killed?
Now, in all honesty, which is the more deadly tool, the gun or the vehicle? Oh, wait, lets break it down further: Which is more deadly, the rifle or the car? Break it down further yet? OK, which is more deadly, the "assault rifle" or the soccer-mom's SUV?
For death, destruction, and mayhem, the vehicle wins (or loses, depending on how you look at it), hands down! Yet, nearly everybody drives one nearly every day, and thinks nothing of it!

Old 03-15-2013, 09:40 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,262,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
More animals of various species are killed by vehicles every year than during hunting season. How many ANIMALS has your vehicle killed?
The travesty! We need a protection against animals act.

Old 03-15-2013, 09:40 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,051,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorqual View Post

Guns were made for killing.

What's your point?

Old 03-15-2013, 10:42 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,754,889 times
You can use a gun to make dinner! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z80YtGnsVhw
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies