Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 07:53 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,763,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymouseX View Post
Or...

When in see this in America I'll agree we have poverty.

Attachment 108867
OP said "Rich Countries"

That picture is of Manila, in the Philipines, where GDP per capita is 1/10th of the rich world.

Quote:
My bad...

How about a slum in Paris, France then...

I do believe France is first world.

Attachment 108868

That is not Paris, that is a slum in Rabat, Morocco.

Why does this forum attract such ignorant posters? I can't figure this out.

Last edited by le roi; 03-18-2013 at 08:02 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2013, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
False.
The poor in this country would practically qualify as middle class in some european countries (in terms of material possesions, living space, and other amenities).
Which european countries?

Old 03-18-2013, 07:58 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,469,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foadi View Post
compared to other developed countries, the US certainly has unusually low wages for unskilled workers. i wouldn't even want to live on US$10/hour in a cheap country like cambodia, hard to believe so many do it in an expensive country like the US. social mobility seems to be getting more difficult in the US as well.

i don't know, based on personal experience the US isn't all bad. i have very poor money management skills and go broke and homeless all the time, and have never had much difficulty getting myself back on my feet in the US.
What a moronic thing to say. Get educated. $10/hr US is rich in Cambodia...Geez, you Communists are unbelievable. Our education systems are the cause of your ignorance.

Old 03-18-2013, 09:18 AM

2,256 posts, read 2,133,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
OP said "Rich Countries"

That picture is of Manila, in the Philipines, where GDP per capita is 1/10th of the rich world.

That is not Paris, that is a slum in Rabat, Morocco.

Why does this forum attract such ignorant posters? I can't figure this out.
It came from a page clearly identifying it as Paris. Since I have neither been to Paris nor Rabat simply informing me if the fact would be sufficient.

Why is this forum filled with trolls with no argument other than insults? Seriously, are that many people really insecure???

Old 03-18-2013, 09:28 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,217,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
Oh this is sad... America has one of the lowest rated safety nets of developed countries. We're behind most of Western Europe, some of Eastern Europe, some Middle East countries, and Japan.

People that are disputing this, please back up your claims b/c I've NEVER seen any report on the American social safety net that has higher than middle of the pack.
Why would you assume that more government run social programs automatically means the poor will be better off?

Old 03-18-2013, 09:31 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,235,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
This was a post within a thread and I think it deserves its own thread for discussion.
Being poor in america is having a 42 inch flast screen instead of a 50 .free phones food stamps welfare and medical care. Being Poor in africa means no food or clean water and little nmedical care

Old 03-18-2013, 09:36 AM

3,740 posts, read 3,075,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
This was a post within a thread and I think it deserves its own thread for discussion.
Only in America are people who own their own homes, have color TV, AC and their own cars considered "poor".

To answer your quesiton "of course NOT".

Old 03-18-2013, 09:38 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,276,186 times
Default We are only comparing first world countries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
Being poor in america is having a 42 inch flast screen instead of a 50 .free phones food stamps welfare and medical care. Being Poor in africa means no food or clean water and little nmedical care
And the German poor have access to better education, job training, safer neighborhoods, higher mobility and healthcare than the US poor.

Old 03-18-2013, 09:39 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,276,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Rossi View Post
Only in America are people who own their own homes, have color TV, AC and their own cars considered "poor".

To answer your quesiton "of course NOT".
Poor people don't own their own house or have a car. The ride bicycles or the bus and might live in an apartment.

Old 03-18-2013, 09:55 AM

Quote:
It came from a page clearly identifying it as Paris.
You didn't link to where you found it, so I can't comment on your claim.

But the fact is that it's not paris, it's Rabat.

Quote:
Since I have neither been to Paris nor Rabat simply informing me if the fact would be sufficient.
In english please?

Quote:
Why is this forum filled with trolls with no argument other than insults? Seriously, are that many people really insecure???
Insecure? No, I'm just tired of seeing stupid comments.

Even if that was Paris, which it isn't, the existence of a single slum somewhere doesn't have anything to do with the thread topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies