Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 03:52 AM

7,242 posts, read 7,905,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crestliner View Post
something needs to be done about Social security as long as the people who have put money into it get their money back.
The big problem with Social Security and Medicare is that people put in $0.30 and get out $2-$3. FACT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2013, 10:18 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,194,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I think people are smart enough to knkw where these social services come from, and that they are willing to pay those taxes. They just don't want to spend money on things they see as bloated and unwanted.

Remember, 65% of TEA party members support SSI and Medicare with no changes to the system.

Americans like a safety net for retirement that no one can touch, and we already lay taxes to pay for these things. Social security is solvent now, long term it is fine with minor changes. Medicare is a bigger issue, but its mainly because of the bloated private insurance industry that hurts it. 600 dollars for a bottle of aspirin?

Americans also agree on cutting defense, not the rate if increase, go back to 2000 spending levels.

Your ideas are not supported by the people of this country

like I said, if you asked 100% of taxpayers if they could get away with paying taxes, most would say they would not pay taxes at all.

I am not talking about the entitlement crowd.

Old 03-18-2013, 11:11 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,202,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
yay, I would rather get rid of medicare, medicaid, social security and the current tax system completely.

get rid of it all, and start over with just a maximum sale tax of 10%-12% and no more by the amendment process.

no other taxes at all and especially no other fees by government.
By getting rid of it are you saying that you would stop the check from SS Im suppose to get next week?

Old 03-18-2013, 11:40 PM

1,127 posts, read 903,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Nobody will touch social security/medicare because the other side will vilify them and they will lose their seats which is all most of em in DC care about.
Even the teabaggers are against cutting SS and Medicare. So if they are against cutting SS, Medicare, and the defense, what the hell do they want to cut?

Old 03-19-2013, 12:27 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,194,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crestliner View Post
By getting rid of it are you saying that you would stop the check from SS Im suppose to get next week?

yep, get rid of it all. general welfare does not mean retirement. I have been paying into social security since I started working, and I dont expect to get a dime. my mother worked and never collected a dime from social security.

she paid for her own retirement and health insurance when she retired.

Old 03-19-2013, 05:01 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,381,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
like I said, if you asked 100% of taxpayers if they could get away with paying taxes, most would say they would not pay taxes at all.

I am not talking about the entitlement crowd.

The entitlement crowd is 75% of Americans. 65% of the Taxed Enough Already party support these programs.

When you say, "get away with", exactly what do you mean? People are willing to pay taxes for government programs they agree with.

Old 03-19-2013, 05:21 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,667,657 times
Quote:
That'd be medicare
Huh?

Did you look at the graph?

HHS is definitely not Medicare.

And btw...there's nothing wrong with Medicare. MediCAID is the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Green Giant View Post
Even the teabaggers are against cutting SS and Medicare. So if they are against cutting SS, Medicare, and the defense, what the hell do they want to cut?
Homosexuals are against cutting SS and Medicare? Who knew!

Old 03-19-2013, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Huh?

Did you look at the graph?

HHS is definitely not Medicare.

And btw...there's nothing wrong with Medicare. MediCAID is the problem.

Homosexuals are against cutting SS and Medicare? Who knew!

Yes I read the graph, and the administrative overview of Medicare, you know, what makes it run, is the department if health and human services

Old 03-19-2013, 05:37 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,667,657 times
Quote:
Yes I read the graph, and the administrative overview of Medicare, you know, what makes it run, is the department if health and human services
I agree with you 100%+ that HHS needs to go, but it is NOT the same piece of the money pie.

Old 03-19-2013, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
I agree with you 100%+ that HHS needs to go, but it is NOT the same piece of the money pie.
I'm not saying the department can't be cut, but needs to go would he as stupid as no bid contracts in Iraq.

What you're saying is that the pentagon budget isn't part of defense spending. HHS is as much a part of healthcare as Pentagon spending is part if national defense
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies