Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2013, 04:40 PM

3,740 posts, read 3,073,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymouseX View Post
Respect is earned. Not just a given. You clearly DON'T deserve it.

ALL smokers do this? Do ALL black people do the same things and ALL women do the same things? Nonsense...

This is really getting sad...

I just smoked a cigarette by the way. It was great.
Why don't I deserve respect? Can you articulate why? Do I assault you with clean, fresh, breathable air?

Perhaps you should doggie-paddle back to the shallow end, cause you're getting in a bit too deep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2013, 04:41 PM

2,256 posts, read 2,132,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Rossi View Post
Why don't I deserve respect? Can you articulate why? Do I assault you with clean, fresh, breathable air?

Perhaps you should doggie-paddle back to the shallow end, cause you're getting in a bit too deep.
You assault me with your rude and ignorant comments.

Like I've said as nauseum. If you weren't rude you'd get better results.

Care to try again?

Old 03-19-2013, 04:45 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,773,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post

What if they're smoking marijuana which is being legalized in so many places? How are you going to tell them they can't smoke it if it's legal?
Generally speaking most of the smoking laws seek to ban smoking of any substance. It will be interesting to see how the medical marijuana thing plays out.

( I have no horse in this race)

Old 03-19-2013, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
Generally with assault it is defined as an unconsented to touching. If you walk into the home of a smoker you are pretty much consenting. Same with smoking permitted bars and restaurants. Non-smokers should not have the right to dominate the property of others because they don't like those people's habbits. It is akin to passing laws to restrict the movements and property rights of people with the common cold.
If I don't proactively grant permision to assault me, I don't grant permission to assault me, with toxins, bludgeons, fists, blades or whatever.

Another strawman. We don't want to limit your actions, just the adverse and direct effects that certain actions have on us. Nobody is talking about being inflicted with tobacco smoke while voluntarily inside the house of the smoker, we are talking about when that filth escapes that house and enters, without the authorization of the owner, a different home. Can you see a difference? If not, get some glasses (not the kind you drink out of).

Old 03-19-2013, 04:48 PM

Quote:
You assault me with your rude and ignorant comments.

Like I've said as nauseum. If you weren't rude you'd get better results.

Care to try again?
You expect niceness in return to your rudeness? Get off your highhorse, bucko.

Old 03-19-2013, 04:49 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,832,764 times
Perhaps they should build the apartments better so smoke (among other things) do not go to a neighbor.

Old 03-19-2013, 04:50 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,398,124 times
Quote:
If I don't proactively grant permision to assault me, I don't grant permission to assault me, with toxins, bludgeons, fists, blades or whatever.

Another strawman. We don't want to limit your actions, just the adverse and direct effects that certain actions have on us. Nobody is talking about being inflicted with tobacco smoke while voluntarily inside the house of the smoker, we are talking about when that filth escapes that house and enters, without the authorization of the owner, a different home. Can you see a difference? If not, get some glasses (not the kind you drink out of).
If you are knowingly going into an a smoking bar you are assuming the risk. I know you have some irrational hatred of smokers, but tobacco is not going to become illegal any time soon and it is not worth compromising property rights for IMHO.

Old 03-19-2013, 04:50 PM

2,256 posts, read 2,132,293 times
Quote:
You expect niceness in return to your rudeness? Get off your highhorse, bucko.
Actually, you and then other shill commenced the rudeness.

And you are surprised by the reaction?

Where is your friend by the way? You know...

Ms. SmokersAreMiscreants...

Old 03-19-2013, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
If you are knowingly going into an a smoking bar you are assuming the risk. I know you have some irrational hatred of smokers, but tobacco is not going to become illegal any time soon and it is not worth compromising property rights for IMHO.
My hatred of smokers is not irrational. Is based on, and in response to, the misery they cause me. I have exactly the same sort of hatred for mosquitos and cold sores.

What is more important, minor compromises of property rights

or significan compromises of personal rights?

Owners of public accomodations, have a legal and moral obligation to protect their clientel from harm stemming from the actons of other clients.

Old 03-19-2013, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Actually, you and then other shill commenced the rudeness.

And you are surprised by the reaction?

Where is your friend by the way? You know...

Ms. SmokersAreMiscreants...

Again, you demonstrate an amazing ability to be obtuse. Smokers are the originators of the rudeness by inflicting their filth on everyone else. Everything after that is reactive. Why should you be surprised that people object to your filth being inflicted on them. Had you not lost most of your sense of smell, you'd understand. When you stop trembling every 15 mins cause your nicotine level goes down, you'll understand. Right now you don't understand squat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies