Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2013, 10:31 AM

2,256 posts, read 2,136,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Rossi View Post
Nobody uis trying to take your drug from you. We are just requiring that you start respecting the rights of others. I know that is a heavy burden for you, but give it a try - or else more laws will be passed to protect the innocent.
Lol. I respect people that deserve it.

You not so much...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2013, 10:38 AM

15,896 posts, read 12,023,590 times
Quote:
Nobody uis trying to take your drug from you. We are just requiring that you start respecting the rights of others. I know that is a heavy burden for you, but give it a try - or else more laws will be passed to protect the innocent.
Yep. Gotta have the big bad government do your dirty work for you! I mean, you can't just simply avoid something that you don't like! That makes too much sense!

Quote:
Untrue oh breath of a thousand ash trays.

My only requirments is that YOU keep YOUR FILTH to your SELF. Sorry that you feel that respecting the rights of others, is "tyranny", but then drug addiction does distort all sorts of "thinking".
Of course, when one cannot offer up a logical rebuttal, then resort to insults. Let me guess, you're from the so-called "party of tolerance."

Quote:
Not so. Just keep your filth to yourself.
How about you mind your own business and stop trying to pass more laws, and turning America into a f***n' POLICE STATE?!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymouseX View Post
Lol. I respect people that deserve it.

You not so much...

Yep.

Old 03-19-2013, 10:43 AM

28,987 posts, read 30,391,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
SO IF YOU DON'T WANT TO BE AROUND SMOKERS THEN GO ELSEWHERE!!!! IT'S NOT THAT FREAKIN' HARD!!!!!!! Did your parents ever tell you that you don't always get your way? Those of you in the anti-smoking crowd just can't leave well enough alone! First you banned smoking in private establishments. So, now we respectfully go outside, and then you b*** and moan about smokers crowding the doorway when you prohibited us from smoking inside in the first place! But fine! Next you implement a sin tax on cigarettes and alcohol to build sports arenas (happened here in Cleveland with the Browns and Indians). Both are outdoor arenas, yet people cannot smoke in an OUTDOOR FREAKIN' ARENA that they as smokers HELPED PAY FOR!!!!!!!! Next you implement bans in certain outdoor locations such as parks, sidewalks or whatever! Now, you're trying to force it on people in their own residence? GTFOH!!!!!
Control freaks, they cannot see beyond themselves, if people don't think and feel like they do, they are unable to comprehend any thing else...you can spell it out as plain as day, but because it goes against they're beliefs, your wrong, they are right, period....so nothing you say will ever make a lick of sense to them..sad, but true.

Erin Brokovich...that was true...they probably watched it, but cannot put two and two together....
and blame the media, it uses people like this, to play their fear tactic...but they never ever report when there is a chemical spill do they. Delaware, one year, had 3 chemical accidents, yet, not one of them was advertised on the news....my cousin's daughter worked down there, and they moved back, saying, "the next generation down there is going to glow", however, it must be cigerettes??????
pathetic

Old 03-19-2013, 10:51 AM

23,177 posts, read 26,285,270 times
"Keep it to yourself" she said.
Hahahahhaa......how about you lobby FOR what most, if not all smokers, would happily go along with.....
Allowing bars,restaurants and other PRIVATELY OWNED establishments opt for smoking or no smoking with prominently posted signage indicating such so they can be avoided or patronized.
Oh no....that most reasonable solution wasn't put into effect because some anal AH's insist that they have the right to patronize every single place (even if they never would have)
Look at the op...the title of this thread.
It was started with the idea that all apartment houses should be non-smoking.
How about jumping on the bandwagon against this so smokers and non-smokers both can decide which type of housing they want.
Not in public, not in private not even out in the open air.
Don't try to pretend you don't want to just completely control what others do that you don't personally agree with.

Old 03-19-2013, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Hahahahhaa......how about you lobby FOR what most, if not all smokers, would happily go along with.....
Allowing bars,restaurants and other PRIVATELY OWNED establishments opt for smoking or no smoking with prominently posted signage indicating such so they can be avoided or patronized.
Oh no....that most reasonable solution wasn't put into effect because some anal AH's insist that they have the right to patronize every single place (even if they never would have)
How about jumping on the bandwagon against this so smokers and non-smokers both can decide which type of housing they want.
Don't try to pretend you don't want to just completely control what others do that you don't personally agree with.

Well said old_cold! It is indeed about complete control of others! Nothing more. All under the guise of seemingly caring for the public's general welfare. A complete crock of bovine extretment if you ask me.

Old 03-19-2013, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
I will say this...if anyone wants to smoke, I believe they should have to go outside, and say this b/c my mother had a breathing disease, as some people, of course not all, do have, like say asthma, and other breathing disorders...but in apartments, even though this OP is definately a very angry control freak, I have to agree....babies, etc...
I agree with you about the bars....
Fair is fair, which a whole lot of non smokers do not know how to be....
and as far as people smoking out side, and someone who doesn't smoke walks by, "come on, it's not going to kill you"....use your mind....and think, for goodness sake?
ask yourself, does it offend you, or does it really bother you...?
Mostly they will say, it bothers them, which is a bunch of bull, unless they have a breathing disorder.

Tell you what bothers me to no end, is Cell phones in a public place...ah ha, but that is a whole different story isn't it. Like I want to sit and eat my dinner, while listening to someone else's personal conversation. Or go outside for a break, and I have to listen to someone talking on the phone....and I bet, all these people who are so against smoking, talk on they're cells, without one regard to others....
When I see a person driving behind me talking on a cell, I pull over...and let them pass...don't want to be rear ended, b/c they break the law.

Old 03-19-2013, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I will say this...if anyone wants to smoke, I believe they should have to go outside, and say this b/c my mother had a breathing disease, as some people, of course not all, do have, like say asthma, and other breathing disorders...but in apartments, even though this OP is definately a very angry control freak, I have to agree....babies, etc...
I agree with you about the bars....
Fair is fair, which a whole lot of non smokers do not know how to be....
and as far as people smoking out side, and someone who doesn't smoke walks by, "come on, it's not going to kill you"....use your mind....and think, for goodness sake?

Exactly. As we all agree here, it's simply about controlling the behavior of others. It makes you wonder if some of them were tattle tales in grade school?

Old 03-19-2013, 11:04 AM

12,770 posts, read 11,594,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
SO IF YOU DON'T WANT TO BE AROUND SMOKERS THEN GO ELSEWHERE!!!! IT'S NOT THAT FREAKIN' HARD!!!!!!! Did your parents ever tell you that you don't always get your way? Those of you in the anti-smoking crowd just can't leave well enough alone! First you banned smoking in private establishments. So, now we respectfully go outside, and then you b*** and moan about smokers crowding the doorway when you prohibited us from smoking inside in the first place! But fine! Next you implement a sin tax on cigarettes and alcohol to build sports arenas (happened here in Cleveland with the Browns and Indians). Both are outdoor arenas, yet people cannot smoke in an OUTDOOR FREAKIN' ARENA that they as smokers HELPED PAY FOR!!!!!!!! Next you implement bans in certain outdoor locations such as parks, sidewalks or whatever! Now, you're trying to force it on people in their own residence? GTFOH!!!!!
Agreed. Plus they remove all ashtrays, then complain that there are butts on the ground!
I repeat, that second-hand smoke causes harm is bogus, and junk science at best. Third hand smoke is for complete morons and control freaks.

Old 03-19-2013, 11:19 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,887,979 times
It's only a matter of time and smoking is as non partisan of an issue as it gets.

Many, many states and municipalities within states have and will continue to debate potential legislation forbidding smoking of anything in units with common walls. Some municipalities do not allow smoking of anything inside condos and apartments. It's increasingly common for smoking to be banned on all public streets, parks and beaches.

I have no horse in this race. If/when I am bothered by smoke I take responsibility and remove myself from the situation. However, that's not the approach taken by most states as it relates to restaurants, bars and increasingly hotel rooms. Instead of allowing the owner and the market determine the outcome, smoking versus smoke free, the overwhelming majority of states ban smoking in workplaces, including bars and restaurants.

Municipal governments in those states without bans increasingly impose their own bans.

Apartment owners and condo associations everywhere are increasingly banning smoking both inside and on patios and balconies. It's increasingly challenging to market a single family home occupied by smokers unless the owners invest in deep cleaning and fumigation. Even then, carpets, upholstery and mattresses hold the smell and cause prospective buyers to move on to something else.

Old 03-19-2013, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
It's only a matter of time and smoking is as non partisan of an issue as it gets.

Many, many states and municipalities within states have and will continue to debate potential legislation forbidding smoking of anything in units with common walls. Some municipalities do not allow smoking of anything inside condos and apartments. It's increasingly common for smoking to be banned on all public streets, parks and beaches.

I have no horse in this race. If/when I am bothered by smoke I take responsibility and remove myself from the situation. However, that's not the approach taken by most states as it relates to restaurants, bars and increasingly hotel rooms. Instead of allowing the owner and the market determine the outcome, smoking versus smoke free, the overwhelming majority of states ban smoking in workplaces, including bars and restaurants.

Municipal governments in those states without bans increasingly impose their own bans.

Apartment owners and condo associations everywhere are increasingly banning smoking both inside and on patios and balconies. It's increasingly challenging to market a single family home occupied by smokers unless the owners invest in deep cleaning and fumigation. Even then, carpets, upholstery and mattresses hold the smell and cause prospective buyers to move on to something else.

Very good post...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies