Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 10:22 PM

487 posts, read 896,901 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Wow, you must be a blast at parties. Were you the person in school who told the teacher when you see someone skipping out early?

Lighten up and drink a beer with the rest of us.
No, I find humanity rather moronic actually. You could say I am a bit of a bitter person, socially. But I have my reasons and don't care whether people like me anymore...I've gotten used to being alone, and it actually is quite nice

Have fun destroying your liver
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2013, 10:24 PM

4,684 posts, read 4,574,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djohanna View Post
No, I find humanity rather moronic actually. You could say I am a bit of a bitter person, socially. But I have my reasons and don't care whether people like me anymore...
I'll remember to send you a chocolate bunny.

Old 03-18-2013, 10:26 PM

487 posts, read 896,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post
Let me guess......you are miserable and sad a lot?
Nope, I am quite happy. Even cynics can be happy, as long as they maintain their cheerful solitude.

In fact, I am much happier today than before when I tried to maintain a 'normal', lively social life. What a drag that was. It requires so much faking to fit in, to stay in the clique, to stay liked. Having to follow the most popular person in the clique around (yes, this was high school, but surely it still happens today), or be left out. Or eventually getting stolen from (happened many times, even by my own foster parents), or gossiped about behind my back by people who pretended to like me. Or competing for attention, or how no matter how nice you are a lot of people gravitate towards the most physically attractive and obnoxious one in the group. Or how you can be best friends with someone, or so it seems, only to have them not bother to even write a message after you move away. Or getting snubbed by someone, writing a nice e-mail only to be ignored when trying to maintain contact (happened countless times). Having neighborhood kids--much older, teen kids--smash bugs in front of me for fun because it made me cry when I was 6. Getting beaten the crap out of for no reason from age 12-16 by my dad (with the support of my mom) probably added to that equation a lot. That ended when I was placed in the foster system, only to be placed with three consecutive families who cared nothing about my own happiness--cold as ice--but there taking in as many kids as possible for the profit. So I'm probably permanently traumatized by the concept of friends and family, which has tarnished my concept of holiday. But often, the reason I've had such a hard time getting along with people in the first place was often that I didn't want to conform to their sheep ideologies.

So many people just believe what their family and friends raised them to believe, without stopping to question it...because to go against what those people taught them would mean to lose their companionship to some extent.

It's good to think outside the box, even if it means not being liked. That's what change is all about.

Last edited by djohanna; 03-18-2013 at 11:35 PM..

Old 03-18-2013, 10:35 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Not a big deal really. JUST SAYING. My own boyfriend is 34 and from Florida, and lol he didn't even know St. Patrick's Day commemorates the introduction of Christianity to Ireland! If you're going to get festive about something, at least know what the hell you're getting festive about
That is your boyfriend's problem! His education was neglected. IIRC, we learned in elementary school what St. Patrick did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Can one of the "Christians" in this thread explain the relationship between the pine trees, a jolly fat guy in a suit flying around with a team of reindeer, and the baby Jesus? How about bunnies, eggs, and Jesus? Please provide all the details you have learned through independent study, and not just what you were told by your shepherds (oops, I mean your clergymen). It appears there is value when someone doesn't just go with the flow like the rest of the fuzzy sheep, right?

Take your time to give this a proper response.
Oh, give it a rest. Most people know quite well that we have borrowed a lot of practices from other cultures, JUST LIKE ALL CULTURES BEFORE US!

Quote:
No, I love holidays for an excuse to have special, wonderful times with friends and family. BUT the background behind these holidays is what bothers me a bit.

Yes and of course, the consumerism that goes with it. Although that's plenty talked about.

I think American holidays could use a serious rethinking. Instead of celebrating on Jesus' birthday or the day he came back alive or the day the Europeans committed genocide or ... how about something with a little more intelligence in the framework?
Oh, for Ford's sake! Go take a look at the Christian holidays celebrated in Europe! Far more than the US. And Guy Fawke's Day? Some jagoff decides to blow up Parliament, so the Brits celebrate that?
Guy Fawkes Night - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
How about "Swedish Sour Herring Premier" celebrations?
Swedish Sour Herring Premier - Surstrmming - Swedish Holidays and Traditions
This one has a lot of supernatural stuff in it. Sounds like fun, actually!
http://www.hemslojd.com/swedish_midsommar.html
**As in the case of many other Swedish "eves", Midsummer Eve is also believed to be a night of supernatural happenings and magical powers. The dew this night is believed to have special properties.

Old 03-18-2013, 11:28 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,435,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
[b]Oh, give it a rest. Most people know quite well that we have borrowed a lot of practices from other cultures, JUST LIKE ALL CULTURES BEFORE US!
No need to shout, Katiana. Are you able to discuss things without getting so emotional/irrational?

BTW, Give it a rest? I wasn't talking to you unless you were one of the Christians scolding non-believers in this thread (the 'sheep') for observing 'Christian' holidays. Maybe you should do a better job enlightening your Christian brethren in this thread that their Christmas and Easter are holidays stolen from the pagans, so stop trying to make this foolish point. Then all of you might appear a little less foolish to the rest of us.

Old 03-18-2013, 11:34 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,394,292 times
I tend not to celebrate St. Patrick's day because the bars are too crowded and the roads are filled with a mix of DUIers and cops, neither of which I would like to have a run in with while driving.

Old 03-19-2013, 07:16 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
No need to shout, Katiana. Are you able to discuss things without getting so emotional/irrational?

BTW, Give it a rest? I wasn't talking to you unless you were one of the Christians scolding non-believers in this thread (the 'sheep') for observing 'Christian' holidays. Maybe you should do a better job enlightening your Christian brethren in this thread that their Christmas and Easter are holidays stolen from the pagans, so stop trying to make this foolish point. Then all of you might appear a little less foolish to the rest of us.
Who's shouting? Seems like you are the one who over-reacted. And what's with this "stolen"? Don't you atheists understand how cultures work, especially in a multi-cultural country like the US?

Follow the TOS much?

Old 03-19-2013, 07:45 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
I wasn't talking to you unless you were one of the Christians scolding non-believers in this thread (the 'sheep') for observing 'Christian' holidays. Maybe you should do a better job enlightening your Christian brethren in this thread that their Christmas and Easter are holidays stolen from the pagans
Those facts are pretty well documented and generally known, even among us sheep. It's no secret.

Old 03-19-2013, 08:15 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,207,220 times
Quote:
No, I find humanity rather moronic actually. You could say I am a bit of a bitter person, socially. But I have my reasons and don't care whether people like me anymore...I've gotten used to being alone, and it actually is quite nice

Have fun destroying your liver
I completely agree that you have some issues socially. Go out tonight, walk into a bar, have a drink and start talking to someone. What is the point when you don't actually live your life? You definitely aren't OK with being alone if you are this angry and bitter about such minor things.

And you will obviously have problems socially when you are such a buzzkill with everything you say...

Old 03-19-2013, 11:44 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,493,436 times
The world as a whole needs more celebrating; not less! Regardless the reason.

Hell; I celebrate every time my dog has a successful dump and raise my glass to him as it means one more accident indoors I'm not cleaning up. He's old. I'm happy. Simple, no?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies