Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 12:33 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,651,677 times

Advertisements

Shortly after placing a protective order against her estranged husband, Stephanie Holten and her children were ambushed by her husband, who held a gun at her chest and threatened to kill her. In the state of Washington, they don't make the husband relinquish his firearms, even though a protective order has been taken out.

She survived and luckily did not become another statistic that shows that when women die from domestic violence, it is often from a firearm.

We can thank the N.R.A. for this.

"Across the country the N.R.A. and other gun-rights groups have beaten back legislation mandating the surrender of firearms in domestic violence situations. They argue that gun ownership, as a fundamental constitutional right, should not be stripped away for anything less serious than a felony conviction — and certainly not, as an N.R.A. lobbyist in Washington State put it to legislators, for the “mere issuance of court orders.”

Thanks for protecting our rights N.R.A.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/18/us...guns.html?_r=0

Last edited by ellemint; 03-20-2013 at 12:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2013, 12:35 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,880,970 times
From another conversation, but I figure I would apply it here for a moment:

Ellemint, do you feel the invasion of Iraq was a moral and just cause? Or do you feel we violated their sovereignty and basic human rights?

Old 03-20-2013, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Some_Random_Guy View Post
From another conversation, but I figure I would apply it here for a moment:

Ellemint, do you feel the invasion of Iraq was a moral and just cause? Or do you feel we violated their sovereignty and basic human rights?
I don't think it was a just cause. I think it was a stupid useless war.

Old 03-20-2013, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
I don't think it was a just cause. I think it was a stupid useless war.
What if they do that on domestic soil?

Do you really think an indefensible American public is the right choice?

Old 03-20-2013, 12:44 PM

46,289 posts, read 27,108,503 times
Quote:
Shortly after placing a protective order against her estranged husband, Stephanie Holten and her children were ambushed by her husband, who held a gun at her chest and threatened to kill her. In the state of Washington, they don't make the husband relinquish his firearms, even though a protective order has been taken out.

She survived and luckily did not become another statistic that shows that when women die from domestic violence, it is often from a firearm.

We can thank the N.R.A. for this.

"Across the country the N.R.A. and other gun-rights groups have beaten back legislation mandating the surrender of firearms in domestic violence situations. They argue that gun ownership, as a fundamental constitutional right, should not be stripped away for anything less serious than a felony conviction — and certainly not, as an N.R.A. lobbyist in Washington State put it to legislators, for the “mere issuance of court orders.”

Thanks for protecting our rights N.R.A.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/21/us...ome.html?_r=1&
So, once again, the link above you are calling out the NRA, why are you lying and tyring to start something? You cannot show me anywhere where the NRA is mentioned.

As for the domestic violence, it's disgraceful, but who is to say they hve no gun prior, but go and get one.

You anti gun nuts are amazing...

Old 03-20-2013, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
So, once again, the link above you are calling out the NRA, why are you lying and tyring to start something? You cannot show me anywhere where the NRA is mentioned.

As for the domestic violence, it's disgraceful, but who is to say they hve no gun prior, but go and get one.

You anti gun nuts are amazing...
It's mentioned right in the article! I quoted the NRA.

Old 03-20-2013, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Some_Random_Guy View Post
What if they do that on domestic soil?

Do you really think an indefensible American public is the right choice?

I'm a little confused about what we're talking about here. Can you restate your point?

Old 03-20-2013, 12:50 PM

46,289 posts, read 27,108,503 times
Quote:
It's mentioned right in the article! I quoted the NRA.
Hummm...of course unless you are talking about just those letters in non-sequental order, then yes...

Maybe you can show us...the words NRA...below....this is the entire article...

Quote:
DENVER – As Colorado’s governor signed a hard-won package of gun control measures Wednesday, officials across the state were reeling from the shooting death of Colorado’s prisons chief.
In the pine-covered hills of the central Colorado town of Monument, investigators were searching for traces of the shooter who walked up to the home of Tom Clements, the executive director of the Department of Corrections; rang the doorbell; and gunned him down as he answered the door about 8:30 Tuesday night.

Officials with the El Paso County sheriff’s office said they were looking for a “boxy” two-door car that had been spotted Tuesday night in the neighborhood, its engine running but with nobody inside. There were few other insights about who had shot Mr. Clements, or why.

Investigators said Wednesday morning that they had no suspect, and that they did not believe robbery was a motive. They said Mr. Clements’s post, overseeing more than 20,000 inmates in Colorado’s prisons and parole system, might have made him a target.

News of the shooting rippled through the State Capitol, where lawmakers and crime victims had gathered to watch Gov. John W. Hickenlooper sign the gun legislation. Staff members asked each other, “Are you O.K.?” Tearful elected officials hugged and shared memories of Mr. Clements, 58, recalling him as a dedicated public servant who had been wooed from retirement to work in Colorado after a career with Missouri’s Department of Corrections.

Mr. Hickenlooper’s voice cracked as he spoke about Mr. Clements’s death and faced the task of publicly grieving another high-profile shooting. He called it “an act of intimidation” that had cut down a thoughtful and deliberative man who had tried to reform Colorado’s prisons by reducing the number of prisoners in solitary confinement.

“He did his job quietly and intently,” Mr. Hickenlooper said, joined by his cabinet and elected officials. “We are all grieving.”

Appointed by Mr. Hickenlooper in January 2011, Mr. Clements walked into a department facing budget cuts and a dwindling number of prisoners. He oversaw the closing of two prisons, a difficult process that can reverberate across communities that depend on the associated jobs and state funds.
Mr. Hickenlooper said Mr. Clements had been supportive of the gun measures “but not particularly active” during their emotional and contentious path toward passage.
The new laws require background checks for private gun sales in addition to the checks already mandated for purchases at shops and gun shows. They also ban ammunition magazines with more than 15 rounds, a feature that the governor said could turn “killers into killing machines.”
“Someone bent on destruction, if they’re slowed even for just a number of seconds, that allows someone to escape,” he said Wednesday.
As Mr. Hickenlooper signed the bills, he was joined in his office by a handful of people who lost loved ones in shootings at Columbine High School in 1999, at an Aurora movie theater in July and at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn., in December.
“I started crying,” said Tom Mauser, who became a gun-control advocate after his son Daniel was killed at Columbine.
Mr. Mauser wore a suit to the Capitol on Wednesday in a nod to the formality of the occasion. But on his feet were Daniel’s sneakers.

Old 03-20-2013, 12:51 PM

Quote:
I'm a little confused about what we're talking about here. Can you restate your point?
My point is that I've noticed your strong anti-gun stance in this forum, and I've even agreed with some of what you have said, as you make some good points, but my question is this:

Given the fact that you acknowledge our government's tyrannical occupation of Iraq, what makes you think they will treat American citizens any differently? In other words, they've proven to each and every American their aptitude for tyranny, so why should we render ourselves defenseless from them?

Old 03-20-2013, 12:52 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,858,535 times
What a stupid title to thread... 1) it did not trump protective orders 2) the husband violated the protective order with or without the gun 3) the protective order won out 4) stop making stupid rhetoric just because you hate guns...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies