Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 09:33 AM

13,900 posts, read 9,775,066 times

Advertisements

I read a study that is linking autism to air pollution. The article was saying that pregnant mothers and new born babies exposed to more air pollution have an increased chance of developing autism. I don't know if that is actually the cause, but I feel that environmental factors are playing a role.

Last edited by Winter_Sucks; 03-21-2013 at 09:45 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2013, 09:35 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
They think one of the reasons so many Americans are developing celiac is because of the wheat grown here. Americans like white, fluffy bread, so big ag selectively bred (not genetically modified) the wheat crops here to contain massive amounts of gluten, compared to wheat grown around the rest of the world--gluten is the stretchy protein that allows bread to rise. Our bodies evidently can't handle the extra gluten. Flour and gluten based food starch is in nearly EVERYTHING. We always thought we were eating healthy by only eating whole wheat flour products...
You have GMO wheat and very little gluten is made in the US anymore.
The sad fact is that it's cheaper to import wheat gluten from China than to produce it here.

The bread you eat today is not the same bread you ate a mere 15-20 years ago.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:39 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,492,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
It's not just autism though. There has been a steady increase in childhood chronic illnesses and that even has medical researchers stumped looking for answers.

I think I will go with the medial researchers on this rather than you so flippantly dismissing this as better testing.
I am not flippantly dismissing...I am stating fact...and as a parent of an aspergers (part of the autism spectrum) child.. I have first hand knowledge

this goes back to the 1980's when liberals pulled the mentally ill out of institutions because it was inhuman.

there was was a REDEFINING in the 80's

prior to 1985 most kids with autism ended up being classified as juvenile schitzipherenia(forgive my spelling) and retarded or hyper (btw ADHD is part of the autism spectrum also)

the percent of kids with (using an oold outdated term) retardation/mental incompacity/autism has stayed mostly level...the difference is that instead of having 3 JS, 1 AUT, 6 retards (10 kids) out of 1000....now its just 10 autism/asperger out of 1000 (1 in 100)

the same with in the 80's when the liberals have many of the institutions closed because it was 'inhuman' to lock these people up....now they are the growing population of HOMELESS (85% of homeless at mentally ill)

actually almost every human has 2-3 tendencies of the autistic spectrum...but you dont get diagnosed until you have 5 or more tendencies

think of "Monk"..... OCD is part of the spectrum

btw...its not just here in the good ole USA.....nearly 40% of all europeans suffer from mental illness

btw2...some say the the new ( manditory in some places) whooping cough vacine (part of the DPT shot) may trigger the AUTISM GENE

Old 03-21-2013, 09:41 AM

29,503 posts, read 14,663,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
I read study that is linking autism to air pollution. The article was saying that pregnant mothers and new born babies exposed to more air pollution have an increased chance of developing autism. I don't know if that is actually the cause, but I feel that environmental factors are playing a role.
I don't know if I'm buying that. Isn't our air quality better now than it ever has been ? Unleaded fuels, Emissions on autos, and trucks. Also better polution managment at factories.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:42 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
I am not flippantly dismissing...I am stating fact...and as a parent of an aspergers (part of the autism spectrum) child.. I have first hand knowledge
And again..it's not JUST an increase in autism that is being noted.
And medical experts have not claimed it's been better diagnosis for the increase ACROSS THE BOARD of childhood chronic illnesses.

The last 3 years I've been in schools teaching and subbing and I was surprised at how many student have to go "take their medicine" during the course of the day. It's 1-2 students per class for 7 classes per day.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:44 AM

12,770 posts, read 11,568,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proveick View Post
New CDC report says 1 in 50 kids is autistic.

Autism survey finds 1 in 50 American kids are on the spectrum | NJ.com

There has to be some environmental impact causing this. Makes you wonder if our tech is destroying us.
It's not technology, it's vaccines.
Possible link between vaccinations, thimerosal, asthma, and autism? - Salt Lake City Utah County Libertarian | Examiner.com

Old 03-21-2013, 09:47 AM

13,900 posts, read 9,775,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
I don't know if I'm buying that. Isn't our air quality better now than it ever has been ? Unleaded fuels, Emissions on autos, and trucks. Also better polution managment at factories.
More and more people are living in urban areas with concentrated air pollution and carbon emissions are currently at an all time high.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:47 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,710,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
The allergy and food intolerance issue is out of control, and it seems to get worse all the time. For example--celiac disease (a potentially life threatening intolerance to gluten found in wheat, rye and barley--it's an autoimmune disorder) is often considered genetic, or at least they think it is--it's found in families. My kids are adopted (two sets of siblings and half siblings) and one of my children has it. Even though I'm not biologically related to my children, I'm also severely gluten intolerant, but just under the threshold for celiac. We don't eat many processed foods, and we never have. What's causing this stuff?

If it was caused by immunizations, older adults wouldn't be developing allergies and intolerances during middle age. I know adults who are suddenly developing asthma in their late 40s and 50s. It has to be something environmental or in our food.
The overall increase in all types of auto-immune disorders is quite disturbing.

A couple of theories and a study that is looking for a possible link between autism and these disorders:

Lack of parasites, increase in diseases

Too much salt may trigger autoimmune diseases, studies find | Fox News

Autism tied to autoimmune diseases in immediate family - USATODAY.com

Old 03-21-2013, 09:49 AM

90 posts, read 344,446 times
There really is no mystery about the increase in all childhood issues.

Healthcare is more prevalent. There is really no lack of at least basic health care for children - they are able to receive all vaccinations, etc regardless of income in pretty much the whole US.

But, the increase in processed foods and decrease in exercise due to the prevalence of money (wage or government-provided) to buy what one used to have to expend energy for causes many problems. I have kids, and the diets of most children I know is terribly nutritionally deficient, and many, many children get no exercise at all beyond what they get in school PE and recess.

I remember pollution being a huge issue when I was a kid in the 70s and it is not so nearly bad now (at least where I live).

Add to it GMO foods, medication for every burp and ache, increased diagnosis and the resultant medical billings and pharmaceuticals, the ability to promote life no matter the medical problems (extreme preemies, etc), etc and you get a recipe for a population in declining health that starts with children.

People don't clean their homes, our clothing are made out of engineered fabrics, etc. Everyone breathes all that. I work at a department store and just the chemicals they put in the clothes for the long slow boat ride from the manufacturer gives me problems.

Add to that the current fad of every parent demanding a diagnosis for whatever is wrong with their "special" child, and you have the recipe for what we see here.

Last edited by katheh; 03-21-2013 at 09:58 AM..

Old 03-21-2013, 09:49 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,207,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
You have GMO wheat and very little gluten is made in the US anymore.
The sad fact is that it's cheaper to import wheat gluten from China than to produce it here.

The bread you eat today is not the same bread you ate a mere 15-20 years ago.
Are you sure about that? I'm not a wheat farmer, but my understanding is that our export to import ratio on wheat is about 100 to 1. Even the Chinese are looking to import more US wheat because of the higher gluten content--as the country becomes more westernized, consumers in China want white fluffy bread too.

China looks to increase U.S. wheat imports | Government content from Western Farm Press
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies