Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 10:17 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,677,210 times

Advertisements

They draft me, I'm not going. I'm not risking my life for stupidity. Besides, I'm of the opinion that if they want a nuke, they should have one.

It's not likely they'd use it...and if they did, someone would end it for them...rather permanently given the nature of war in modern times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2013, 10:17 AM

7,168 posts, read 5,373,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
We need to bring back the draft for everyone and institute a war tax whenever we do go to war. Maybe people might actually start using their brains when it comes to armed conflicts.
Never thought I would give you a rep but we are in agreement here I am all for a war tax, if we want to fight other peoples battles we should pay for it instead of running up debt. That is what I call good conservative values paying for it, if we did this all the war mongering would end.

Old 03-21-2013, 10:18 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,416,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
We need to bring back the draft for everyone and institute a war tax whenever we do go to war. Maybe people might actually start using their brains when it comes to armed conflicts.
I fully agree, I actually think we should have mandatory government service for the first two years after high school graduation unless you are going to further your education on your own at vocational schools, colleges, or university.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Doubtful as the ones who actually take us to war will inevitably find ways to keep their own from being drafted into combat roles.
I wouldn't be so sure about that. We may indeed need a draft for a war with Iran. Saddam had a far better military, and they were winning. Winning until the Iranians just started sending waves of people armed with sticks at them. There is only so much a standing army can do. We can hold off an army with artillery shells, but not the entire population running at you at once.

Old 03-21-2013, 10:20 AM

68,349 posts, read 54,477,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post

I wouldn't be so sure about that. We may indeed need a draft for a war with Iran. Saddam had a far better military, and they were winning. Winning until the Iranians just started sending waves of people armed with sticks at them. There is only so much a standing army can do. We can hold off an army with artillery shells, but not the entire population running at you at once.
But we don't need a war with Iran.

I would tell them the same thing I would tell North Korea, launch a nuke at the US and you will not live to see if it gets thru our defenses or not.

Old 03-21-2013, 10:21 AM

12,967 posts, read 13,698,800 times
I don't think the US oil barons will allow us to go to war with Iran. We could no doubt defeat them and the price of oil would bottom out back to the days of the Shah. There would be no more fracking or Koch brothers. I think Iran knows this too.

Old 03-21-2013, 10:21 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,841,952 times
Invading Iran to stop them from creating nuclear weapons is, IMHO, not only stupid it is probably too late. I would not care to bet against their having already bought perfectly functioning nukes from somebody or country that wishes to remain unknown. Invading Iran would be making a very risky bet. It would also be the war that completely bankrupts our economy because nobody will lend money for a endless war.

When it comes to Middle East antagonisms I believe the Iranians have very little conflict with Israel but a huge score to settle with the Sunni that are infesting the Muslim Holy Land of Saudi Arabia. There is where the war is going to happen and we are better off staying far, far away from it. We can then buy oil from the winner. Considering how the Saudi Royal family has been exploiting us since the 1920’s we owe them nothing.

Old 03-21-2013, 10:23 AM

13,900 posts, read 9,785,668 times
Quote:
Doubtful as the ones who actually take us to war will inevitably find ways to keep their own from being drafted into combat roles.
Now we have social media and the Internet to shame those public offices and remove them from public office. They might try to do that, but we can remove them from office.

Old 03-21-2013, 10:23 AM

7,168 posts, read 5,373,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dub dub II View Post
They draft me, I'm not going. I'm not risking my life for stupidity. Besides, I'm of the opinion that if they want a nuke, they should have one.

It's not likely they'd use it...and if they did, someone would end it for them...rather permanently given the nature of war in modern times.
I am too old to get drafted but I would join you in not going, I am not willing to even suffer a paper cut for their BS wars that have nothing to do with us. Now if a country attacked the U S I would fight with everything I have but dying in ME conflicts that will never end forget it.

Old 03-21-2013, 10:24 AM

13,900 posts, read 9,785,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingblade View Post
Never thought I would give you a rep but we are in agreement here I am all for a war tax, if we want to fight other peoples battles we should pay for it instead of running up debt. That is what I call good conservative values paying for it, if we did this all the war mongering would end.
Sometimes I have moments of clarity.

Old 03-21-2013, 10:25 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,416,568 times
Quote:
But we don't need a war with Iran.

I would tell them the same thing I would tell North Korea, launch a nuke at the US and you will not live to see if it gets thru our defenses or not.
I agree with you, but 65% of people seem to be to stupid for that rational argument. So if the President says go, both political parties in office will cheer him on, and off we'll go to another war.

To quote a great military commander, you plan for the war you have, not the one you want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies