Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2013, 04:03 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,057,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
The issue that so many of you obese bashers overlook, is that many people on SSI, SSDI, Medicaid and EBT are there because they cant work because of something they did....

I used to live next door to a woman on section eight, drug addict who ruined her liver and kidneys from drug use. She still used drugs. And got disability.

Same thing with her daughter, fetal alcohol syndrome, we basically "rewarded" her for having a disabled child. And causing it. SSI and public housing for life.

So....if we shut the door on obesity....we also need to look at drug addiction...alcohol addiction....on and on...
..not to mention tobacco use, driving an automobile at excessive speeds, irresponsible sexual behavior, etc.

The sad truth is that these anti-obese diatribes have nothing to do with legitimate concerns. There are a lot of self-righteous people who have simply developed an irrationally-based hatred of the obese.

Generally speaking, bigots don't like to be too obvious. So they create facades which they feel will allow them to justify that hatred.

There are usually a couple of these threads in any given week. It's interesting that the venomous levels of hatred and derogatory terminology directed at the obese; would almost certainly not be tolerated by the moderators if they were aimed at someone based upon race, sex, religion, or sexual orientation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2013, 04:15 PM

8,896 posts, read 5,388,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I work in a Long-Term Care Facility, and they come in all the time, all requiring an extra large bed, which makes the room very cramped! But obesity is now classified as a disease and they're eligible for Medicaid!
Yup! Tired of the rat race, eat a hundred pounds of Hostess Twinkies, and you'll never have to chase around looking for a job again, burn the resumes!

There was a 22YO that came in 6 months ago, so fat she could only sit up, couldn't even lay down! Her mother was taking care of her, previously, (she was only there temporarily), collecting the Medicaid payments. And she'd visit and bring all kinds of sweets to her loving daughter! Perhaps she has become an income source for her, keep her fat, keep her on Medicaid!

And if you have a half dozen kids, deliberately get them fat, and there's a few more Medicaid checks coming in every month!

I, agree, in some cases it is a disability. There are those who only have to look at a piece of cake and gain 5 pounds!
OK, I must be behind the times, educate me please. I have had a lifelong problem with weight. I have never made a cent from it. When did this become a source of income? Burn my resume? Has never been a possibility. What's been happening lately?

Old 03-24-2013, 04:26 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,579,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Fat is not a disability.

I have little use for fat people. It shows they have no control over their lives nor have they any self-respect.

America has become a nation of zero responsibility slugs.
Either that or they have a medical condition that predisposes them to weight gain. I was very thin until I developed hypothyroidism. While some people lose the weight when they are treated, I did not. My doctor can't explain why. Some people just don't. It is now very easy for me to gain and very hard for me to lose. The only way I've found to lose is to eat next to no carbs, and then I lose weight very rapidly, but my doctor says that will lead to kidney damage. So I have a choice. Be fat or on dialysis. Which would you choose?

That said, I am quite capable of standing on a bus. I hope I'm never big enough that that's an issue but the tendency is to gain weight with age to begin with and I'm dealing with a medical condition that makes weight gain way too easy and weight loss very difficult.

Before you judge, walk a mile in someone elses shoes. Trust me, if diet and exercise would take the weight off, I'd be thin. I hate being fat. Most diets do not work for me and the one that does my doctor won't approve. She'd rather I be fit but fat than on dialysis. I exercise and eat healthy for the most part. My problem is if I ever have a piece of cake, it goes right to my hips. My metaoblism does not speed up when I eat more or when I exercise. It has one speed. Lo carb works because the body is burning fat as fuel so all I have to do is keep the calories down and I'll lose. However, I will damage my kidneys if I do that. My other option is taking too much Synthroid. I lose weight that way too but that is also damaging to organs.

FTR, I've tried a personal trainer, who could not explain why I did not lose weight on the diet I followed strictly (I did gain muscle and strength, I just didn't lose fat so I weighed more after 3 months of training). My husband, following the same diet, lost a ton of weight. I've tried weight watchers but had no success with it. If I don't cut out carbs, I just don't lose. I've tried excess exercising with some success but I just don't have the time to work out for a couple of hours a day these days. (I do not appear to get the residual metabolism boost most people get from exercise. I do, however, burn calories when I exercise. My burn rate appears to be about 80% of what they tell you it should be based on rate of loss.)

Now, I can drop 16 pounds in two weeks on Adkins stage 1. My rate of loss on Adkins is beyond what they tell you it should be. However, with only one good kidney, I can't go there. I figure liposuction is my best bet.

Last edited by Ivorytickler; 03-24-2013 at 04:42 PM..

Old 03-24-2013, 04:37 PM

8,896 posts, read 5,388,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Lo carb works because the body is burning fat as fuel so all I have to do is keep the calories down and I'll lose. However, I will damage my kidneys if I do that. My other option is taking too much Synthroid. I lose weight that way too but that is also damaging to organs.
Of course, when you wind up on disability due to renal disease you will have people like the OP complaining about how you did it ti yourself.

Old 03-24-2013, 04:53 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,579,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
Of course, when you wind up on disability due to renal disease you will have people like the OP complaining about how you did it ti yourself.
I'm sure they would.

I really wish I knew why I have such a hard time losing weight. Given that I could eat anything and as much as I wanted until I was in my 30's without gaining an ounce, I'm going with hypothyrodism. Now that I'm in my 50's, add post menopausal weight gain to the mix.

It really bothers me that there are people out there who sit in judgement of me who have not walked in my shoes. I worry about dd#2. She's like I was as a teen. She can eat anything and everything and lose weight without exercising (when I was young, literally, all I had to do to lose weight was not eat after 7:00 PM. I could eat anything I wanted before then.). I wonder if the same thing is going to happen to her. Seems all that excess eating I did when I was young has come home to roost. And let me tell you I ate terrible. Anything fat, fried and sweet. I didn't know what fruit and vegetables were except for canned corn, canned green beans and bananas. Yet, by today's standards, people would have thought highly of me because I was thin. Now that I snack on berries and ice cubes, I'm considered a glutten because every stinking carb I eat seems to attach itself to my mid section.

Old 03-24-2013, 04:57 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,743,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I'm sure they would.

I really wish I knew why I have such a hard time losing weight. Given that I could eat anything and as much as I wanted until I was in my 30's without gaining an ounce, I'm going with hypothyrodism. Now that I'm in my 50's, add post menopausal weight gain to the mix.

It really bothers me that there are people out there who sit in judgement of me who have not walked in my shoes. I worry about dd#2. She's like I was as a teen. She can eat anything and everything and lose weight without exercising (when I was young, literally, all I had to do to lose weight was not eat after 7:00 PM. I could eat anything I wanted before then.). I wonder if the same thing is going to happen to her. Seems all that excess eating I did when I was young has come home to roost. And let me tell you I ate terrible. Anything fat, fried and sweet. I didn't know what fruit and vegetables were except for canned corn, canned green beans and bananas. Yet, by today's standards, people would have thought highly of me because I was thin. Now that I snack on berries and ice cubes, I'm considered a glutten because every stinking carb I eat seems to attach itself to my mid section.
There's no shortage of uneducated idiots of low self esteem who feel good only by finding someone else to pick on, so they can relieve the pain they feel about being inferior. Don't let them get you down. As long as you realize that the world is filled with idiots, and that this country has more than the normal share, you'll be okay.

Old 03-24-2013, 05:03 PM

3,846 posts, read 2,389,142 times
Were the only survivors of German concentration camps people who had entered fat?

Old 03-24-2013, 05:04 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,743,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonarchist View Post
Were the only survivors of German concentration camps people who had entered fat?
What are you talking about? I sure hope you're not ridiculing survivors of the Holocaust.

Old 03-24-2013, 05:10 PM

3,846 posts, read 2,389,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
What are you talking about? I sure hope you're not ridiculing survivors of the Holocaust.
Is a bad thyroid a survival tool?

Old 03-24-2013, 06:35 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,774,467 times
America has the highest obese rate in the world. For the most part, it has nothing to do with disability.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies