Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2013, 09:56 AM

3,846 posts, read 2,393,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
I know there are people who use even opiates occasionally. Any drug can be used that way. I still think doing drugs is playing with fire, even if you don't get addicted. It's a hit on your brain chemistry and if you happen to get some bad stuff just one time or have a bad trip it can cause some real problems.

What ever happened to getting high on life.?

Life is many hits on the brain, man.

Choose your hits wisely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2013, 09:59 AM

3,846 posts, read 2,393,933 times
Quote:
I know there are people who use even opiates occasionally. Any drug can be used that way. I still think doing drugs is playing with fire, even if you don't get addicted. It's a hit on your brain chemistry and if you happen to get some bad stuff just one time or have a bad trip it can cause some real problems.

Life as we know it?

Old 03-26-2013, 01:40 AM

6,351 posts, read 10,004,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
But it took you 6 years to "put down the cigarettes". I'm not saying by any means that people cannot overcome addiction, if that is the cause (or one of them). Who's to say that particular person you're so angry at won't?

The only difference between you and a chronic overeater is that we can't see the effects of cigs on you.
Exactly, I can't see it. If people see themselves getting fact, they should stop.

Oh, and it took me no time to quit smoking. I smoked for six years because I enjoyed smoking and when I decided otherwise I quit. Also a big difference is I DID IT WITHOUT ANY HELP FROM GOVERNMENT RESOURCES BETTER SPENT ON PEOPLE WITH ISSUES THEY DID NOT CREATE FOR THEMSELVES. You want to be fat? Fine. Just deal with it on your own and don't expect society to help you out.

Quote:
And here are you making the idiotic decision to recreationally use an addictive drug, even though you've been a junkie before. Using the same mantra as everyone else, some of whom eventually become addicted - "it won't happen to me, because I'm special".
I'm special? Yeah, like majority of the population of Seattle who uses cannabis occasionally. They are "special" too. Or the people who drink recreationally, because alcohol is also addictive. Or, for that matter, the people who use caffeine.

Everyone has their fix, be it week, Kratom, Salvia, booze, cake etc. A junky is someone who lets the fix use them and not vice versa. Just as I use Kratom every now and again and don't become hooked other people use weed or chocolate cake without getting hooked. And something tells me you may be one of those people who flip out if there is no coffee around in the morning, and then have the nerve to comment on people who smoke weed every other weekend and call them "addicts"

Quote:
There's nothing worse than an ex something addict who, instead of being able to empathize and maybe help those who are on the same path, crows incessantly that they quit and therefore everyone else should be able to too.

Never mind that while you were smoking you were a junkie just like everyone else who's a junkie.
I was never an addict. Smoking was something I put down when I decided to and did not "relapse". Likewise, I can do Kratom for a weekend binge and leave it alone for weeks afterwards. But, if I had a problem I would stop...and a problem with little Debby cakes is really a sad addiction to have.

Old 03-26-2013, 01:43 AM

Quote:

I just don't have an addictive personality...and Salvia does not cause flashbacks. That's LSD, and that is just PTSD from bad trips. Salvia is safe and I only use it occasionally, just as people should only use Big Macs occasionally.

Old 03-26-2013, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
I agree with you. And Dr. Oz a couple of months ago had a program about some people who look at food and just gain weight. I forgot what his term for these people was. But he sure had one, and it was not anthing about being addictive.

It was how they are built, and they could eat a salad and gain weight. Other people might have watched that show, it was interesting. Some people do eat sensible, and do exercise, but cannot lose weight. I feel sorry for these people.
FOR THE LAST TIME, WHY ARE THERE NONE OF THESE PEOPLE IN SOMALIA RUNNING AROUND FAT DESPITE THE LACK OF FOOD!? I mean, if all you have to do is see a picture of food and get fat (breaking the laws of physics, btw) then why aren't certain people in North Kora saving pictures of food and fat no matter what? And where were these people 50 years ago?

Quote:
Obesity is not a disability, but to some a liability due to the added weight and the health issues it causes on the body.

No, obese people are getting government money for not being able to put down the bon bons and take long walks:
Social Security Disability and Morbid Obesity | Disability Secrets

Old 03-26-2013, 01:53 AM

7,359 posts, read 5,480,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
I just don't have an addictive personality...and Salvia does not cause flashbacks. That's LSD, and that is just PTSD from bad trips. Salvia is safe and I only use it occasionally, just as people should only use Big Macs occasionally.
Well that's great for you that you don't have an addictive personality, but some people. Why is that because you don't have one, then nobody deserves help if they do have one?

Old 03-26-2013, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
Well that's great for you that you don't have an addictive personality, but some people. Why is that because you don't have one, then nobody deserves help if they do have one?

No, they do. But guess what? ENABLING IS NOT HELPING. And when people can go on disability and get paid to sit around and eat all day, that is enabling.

Old 03-26-2013, 03:58 AM

340 posts, read 498,255 times
Neocons can not understand any disorder that they do not personally have. They are devoid of empathy so if they don't experience it themselves they don't understand it.

Old 03-26-2013, 07:52 AM

7,300 posts, read 6,758,095 times
Quote:

What's wrong with using what's on our planet, to enjoy life? Eat, drink, get high on it - nothing wrong with partaking of life. There are already more prohibitions than not, why add to them?

Old 03-26-2013, 07:55 AM

13,658 posts, read 10,063,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
Exactly, I can't see it. If people see themselves getting fact, they should stop.

Oh, and it took me no time to quit smoking. I smoked for six years because I enjoyed smoking and when I decided otherwise I quit. Also a big difference is I DID IT WITHOUT ANY HELP FROM GOVERNMENT RESOURCES BETTER SPENT ON PEOPLE WITH ISSUES THEY DID NOT CREATE FOR THEMSELVES. You want to be fat? Fine. Just deal with it on your own and don't expect society to help you out.

I'm special? Yeah, like majority of the population of Seattle who uses cannabis occasionally. They are "special" too. Or the people who drink recreationally, because alcohol is also addictive. Or, for that matter, the people who use caffeine.

Everyone has their fix, be it week, Kratom, Salvia, booze, cake etc. A junky is someone who lets the fix use them and not vice versa. Just as I use Kratom every now and again and don't become hooked other people use weed or chocolate cake without getting hooked. And something tells me you may be one of those people who flip out if there is no coffee around in the morning, and then have the nerve to comment on people who smoke weed every other weekend and call them "addicts"

I was never an addict. Smoking was something I put down when I decided to and did not "relapse". Likewise, I can do Kratom for a weekend binge and leave it alone for weeks afterwards. But, if I had a problem I would stop...and a problem with little Debby cakes is really a sad addiction to have.
Then you have no idea of which you speak. Now you want kudos because you quit something and it required no effort on your part? Big friggin deal.

"If I had a problem I would stop... " LOL, if you can stop you don't have a problem.

As to the well worn crap about junkies "letting the fix control them" - it's biology, not character, and it's not up to you to make that determination based on absolutely NOTHING. Why should your OPINION be taken as gospel? You obviously have no personal experience, and I'm guessing no clinical experience either.

I don't call someone an addict unless they're an addict, because to call recreational users who can take it or leave it an addict is to do the true addict a major disservice. However, anyone that dabbles with addictive substances of ANY KIND has the POTENTIAL to develop an addiction if their biology so dictates. You just don't know what the outcome is going to be.

And - you could have triggered lung cancer already from the cigarettes you smoked that won't manifest itself for many years, so you have ZERO idea of whether you caused your future self to have a disability that is going to cost society in some way eventually.

Oh, and I truly don't care what other people do, drug, alcohol and food wise, unless they need some help with it - unlike yourself who seems completely bent out of shape over the actions of others.

You're completely encased in a glass castle at this point, better watch where you pitch those rocks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies