Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 09:30 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,129,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
It is no longer about justice.
It is only about control.
Can agree with you on that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2013, 02:14 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,447,268 times
Knowing first hand some mentally challenged people as i do, and they do not always understand as we will what is being told to them.

I resent this, and there are times, there are no valid excuses why this happens. I know some fine outstanding police as my friends. But something on a whole has got to be done, this is getting terrible. The poor man out here in O.C. that was killed by thug police, this brutality has got to stop.

Seems to me lately, police should not have guns! Ok this may not have been an intentional situation. But it appears lately, way too often, the police do not think, they just spring into action. I will bring this up to my police friend, this is getting out of hand.

Old 03-25-2013, 04:10 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,168,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
People need to wake up. Our problems aren't coming out of thin air.

Nobody seemed to invest the case a few weeks ago when the teen was shot in NY. All witnesses say he didn't have a gun and/or didn't point the gun at the cops. Yet no further investigation.

There's still been on investigation into the corruption Chris Dorner potentially exposed.

I mean honestly, what is it gonna take for people to realize we can't trust our police?? They need to be policed as well. And sent to jail.
Sir, you are a liar. The teen HAD a gun, and his own cousin's statement was, "He was holding it for a friend".

On this occasion, I read over the article OP posted, and researched others. It's sad that this person passed on, but it appears that the police didn't do anything wrong, and in fact acted bythe book.

Now, am I saying what the result was is right? Not a bit. The person had DS, and would react totally differently than you or I. Where was his companion? Should police get some extra training on how to handle people with developmental disabilities like Down Syndrome?

This was a tragic accident, but the police didn't act like bullies or target this person because they were feeling particularly belligerent.

Old 03-25-2013, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
Sir, you are a liar. The teen HAD a gun, and his own cousin's statement was, "He was holding it for a friend".

On this occasion, I read over the article OP posted, and researched others. It's sad that this person passed on, but it appears that the police didn't do anything wrong, and in fact acted bythe book.

Now, am I saying what the result was is right? Not a bit. The person had DS, and would react totally differently than you or I. Where was his companion? Should police get some extra training on how to handle people with developmental disabilities like Down Syndrome?

This was a tragic accident, but the police didn't act like bullies or target this person because they were feeling particularly belligerent.
One thing I'm not is a liar.

Re-read my post. Show me a statement showing where a witness said he pointed a gun at the cops.

Your assuming that the cops story is what really took place.

It shouldn't take "special training" to know that you don't need to be rough with a person who has down syndrome. That's common sense.

Old 03-25-2013, 04:15 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,168,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Oh it's pathetic. 19 year old kid gets a DWI and he's blacklisted by US corporations for hiring. I actually was denied a good a paying job here in Dallas for a DWI arrest that was 13 years old. They are brutal.

Were you DWI? Yes it happened 13 years ago, but it happened. It shows the type of judgment decision you made. Are you the same person now? Probably not, we grow, we learn. The fact remains though, toy did make a decision to drive while under the influence, and you are still having consequences from that decision.

Old 03-25-2013, 08:15 AM

13,186 posts, read 14,980,467 times
Quote:
Were you DWI? Yes it happened 13 years ago, but it happened. It shows the type of judgment decision you made. Are you the same person now? Probably not, we grow, we learn. The fact remains though, toy did make a decision to drive while under the influence, and you are still having consequences from that decision.
Thank you for making my case.

For Americans such as yourself the punishment/consequences ALWAYS fit the crime.

You're a good little authoritarian.

I could have told you the DWI was 30 years ago, and it kept me from being hired at a low paying job and you would still come on this thread and defend corporations and the government's right to continue blackball young men who commit misdemeanors.

For you, there are no limits when it comes to punishing wrongdoing. Because you're such a great American....LOL

Old 03-25-2013, 08:18 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
Quote:
Or common sense.
Quote:
It shouldn't take "special training" to know that you don't need to be rough with a person who has down syndrome. That's common sense.

Personally, I don't consider the physiological differences in people with downs' syndrome to be "common sense." I would not have known they were at-risk for asphyxiation unless I'd been trained.

Old 03-25-2013, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
Personally, I don't consider the physiological differences in people with downs' syndrome to be "common sense." I would not have known they were at-risk for asphyxiation unless I'd been trained.
Would you have handled the situation the same as these cops did? Knowing the guy had down syndrome.

Old 03-25-2013, 08:25 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
Quote:
Would you have handled the situation the same as these cops did? Knowing the guy had down syndrome.
there's no way to know. not only do i not know what happened, exactly, even if i did know what happened i wouldn't be able to put myself in the shoes of an LEO. Unlike the police I have the luxury that my opinion doesn't matter.

Old 03-25-2013, 08:29 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,991,168 times
Quote:

Yes actions have consequences, but at some point down the road, it's not morally right to hold someone back because of something that they got in trouble for, paid their debt for, and have gotten their life in order. It isn't like this poster killed someone while driving under the influence. At some point, people do deserve a second chance. And this is a huge problem with our justice system, especially with the "war on drugs." Someone gets popped for possession, and it may as well be a damn death sentence. So, now they have this possession charge, can't get a job, and a lot of times end up going right back to activities that got them in trouble in the first place. As it becomes harder to find a job, they become involved in riskier behavior, and commit more serious offenses. It becomes a vicious cycle.

For the record, there truly are some people who deserve to be locked up for a long time, such as murderers, rapists, child molesters, armed robber ect.... These types have truly reaped what they have sown and have no place in a civilized society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies