Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2013, 08:29 PM

13,423 posts, read 9,955,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
The Abbey is too tame. Take him someplace you wouldn't take Aunt Prissy from Podunk. If it's approved by the LA Tourist and Convention Board or listed in "Gay L.A." t's too middle America for him to get the full experience. Report back.
Yeah, The Spotlight in Hollywood was a good one. Gay dive bar, if you can imagine such a thing. Used to open at 6am too.

It's gone now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2013, 08:30 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Of course! I've been to many, and I'm a straight woman... and no, you don't have to dress in drag.

They aren't restricted to gay folks, they are just gay-friendly and catering to gay patronage. What's the point, you ask? Well, it's a place where they don't have to worry about nasty people judging them - and where their odds of finding a same-sex dance (or whatever) partner are greatly increased. But all are welcomed, and I personally find them more enjoyable than a non-gay bar. As a straight woman, it's nice not having to fend off drunk men and just let loose with my platonic friends. No pressure! You should go check one out, they're lots of fun.

Old 03-24-2013, 08:35 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,919,758 times
40 percent of the people in a gay night club are STRAIGHT women...

Old 03-24-2013, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
That can't possibly be a gay bar - the TVs have sports on.
Haha... no Barbra Streisand, Bette Midler, or Liza Minnelli movies? You're right, definitely not a gay bar.

Old 03-24-2013, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
I don't doubt that... who else can drive them home at the end of the night, and distract them when they're talking to a sleazeball? Us "flies" are a necessary staple at any decent gay bar.

(of course, the last time I was at one, it was my gay roommate who ended up driving us home - whoopsie)

Old 03-24-2013, 08:39 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,103,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
I've found that really depends on the type of gay bar/club and where in the country you are. In a place like Boise (and even Denver), sure, there are lots of women in gay clubs. In New York City, I've been in gay clubs without a women in sight.

It's been my experience that the more populated, more liberal, more gay accepting area you're in, the fewer women there are in gay bars.

Old 03-24-2013, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Why would you want to?
Why not? Good music, nice people, drinks, etc... no different from any other bar/club experience, just with a different clientele. And as I said above, it's particularly nice for us straight women. Do you have any idea how annoying it is to be surrounded by drunk straight men, especially if you're not that drunk yourself? Very.

Old 03-24-2013, 08:47 PM

Quote:
I've found that really depends on the type of gay bar/club and where in the country you are. In a place like Boise (and even Denver), sure, there are lots of women in gay clubs. In New York City, I've been in gay clubs without a women in sight.

It's been my experience that the more populated, more liberal, more gay accepting area you're in, the fewer women there are in gay bars.
That may be true... I haven't done a head count or anything, but the clubs in SF/SJ probably don't have 40% straight women inside. Maybe 20-25% instead? You'll also find a fair number of lesbians in ours, even though we have clubs specifically targeting them vs gay men. In general, though, I would say there is still a nice mix of people.

Old 03-24-2013, 11:08 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Maurio View Post
If they feel that way about it, they should start a private members only club that is not open to the general public. They can then dictate who can come in and who cannot. I personally find that stupid. If you are bringing in money to my business, you are welcome no matter who you sleep with.
If the guy wanted to own a regular bar, he would have.
He owned a gay bar.
Why own something that is not meeting what you want?

Old 03-25-2013, 02:43 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,371,062 times
Quote:
My best friend (a straight guy) use to always call up when he was back home on leave and want to go to the gay bar. He and his Marine buddies found it a great place to pick up chicks.
Yup.
I played in some gay bars, and in my experience, gay guys always have a straight girl friend or two who will go out with them. As a straight guy, I found that by the time the 3rd set rolled around, some of those gals were looking for a guy. All of us in the band would get hit on occasionally around 11 or 12 pm.

It happened in straight bars, too, but we never had a jealous boyfriend to contend with in a gay bar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies