Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should gay marriage be legal on federal level?
Yes, it should be legal 149 66.22%
No, Im againts it 50 22.22%
Im in favour for civil unions but not marriage. 26 11.56%
Voters: 225. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 03:36 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,738,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Not true at all. The IRS can do whatever Congress tells them to do.
Marital contracts are one of many legal contracts. That's why the law is involved when these are undertaken, and why the law is involved when these are broken. You have a vivid imagination - nothing to do with reality.

Old 03-26-2013, 03:39 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,563,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dspguy View Post
Most arguments against gay marriage involve either:

A) Religious views
B) This idea that "traditional marriage" requires a penis and vagina to be present

"A" is the weakest argument. Religion has no place in this discussion at all. Religious institutions can excommunicate their homosexual marrying couples as they see fit. But, they have no business getting involved with those people that are not members of their religious community. Injecting their beliefs on the general population is simply bogus.

"B" is just silly. If an infertile man can marry an infertile woman under the "laws" of traditional marriage, why can't a man marry a man and a woman marry a woman? Traditional marriage does not require the possibility of reproduction. Marriage is about commitment and stability. It is about giving yourself to one other person. Not just sexually, but in every way imaginable - emotionally, financially. None of that requires a penis and vagina to be present.
Marriage covers the general case. When men and women have sex, babies are a possibility. When gays have sex they NEVER a possibility. We don't distinguish between which male/female couples can marry because children are always a possibility when men and women have sex. Dh and I were told we would not be able to have kids the old fashioned way, for example but we ended up with two. For gays, there is never a risk of pregnancy resulting from the union. So the condition which marriage served to protect simply does not exist for gays (past tense because it's really not needed for this purpose anymore so the government is free to bow out at any time). Legally, marriage serves to protect children born of the union. Religiously, it serves whatever purpose the church in question believes it does. Marriage is no longer needed to protect children because we have DNA tests. However, I'm all for gays marrying so they can pay the marriage penalty tax too. The government can use more revanue.

Old 03-26-2013, 03:43 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,738,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Marriage covers the general case. When men and women have sex, babies are a possibility. When gays have sex they NEVER a possibility. We don't distinguish between which male/female couples can marry because children are always a possibility when men and women have sex. Dh and I were told we would not be able to have kids the old fashioned way, for example but we ended up with two. For gays, there is never a risk of pregnancy resulting from the union. So the condition which marriage served to protect simply does not exist for gays (past tense because it's really not needed for this purpose anymore so the government is free to bow out at any time).
Incorrect. I decided early on that I didn't want kids, but I've been married and will be married this year again. Marriage is a legal contract. It's social and economic. It serves a very good purpose. Kids are incidental, and married people do not have to have kids, the same way that married people do not have to own a sofa, they can own easy chairs instead. If someone wants them, cool beans, and if they don't, fine too (as in my case).

Old 03-26-2013, 03:49 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,050,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Marriage is a religious ceremony under god.
Only because CHristians redefined the word to make it so.

Old 03-26-2013, 03:51 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,281,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
Incorrect. I decided early on that I didn't want kids, but I've been married and will be married this year again. Marriage is a legal contract. It's social and economic. It serves a very good purpose. Kids are incidental, and married people do not have to have kids, the same way that married people do not have to own a sofa, they can own easy chairs instead. If someone wants them, cool beans, and if they don't, fine too (as in my case).
All the benefits derived from being married (and no children) can be handled completely without ever getting married.

Each state decides how property is divided in the event of a breakup of the parties or the death of one of the parties. Check with the State of residency for further information.

Old 03-26-2013, 03:51 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,214,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Marriage covers the general case. When men and women have sex, babies are a possibility. When gays have sex they NEVER a possibility. We don't distinguish between which male/female couples can marry because children are always a possibility when men and women have sex. Dh and I were told we would not be able to have kids the old fashioned way, for example but we ended up with two. For gays, there is never a risk of pregnancy resulting from the union. So the condition which marriage served to protect simply does not exist for gays (past tense because it's really not needed for this purpose anymore so the government is free to bow out at any time). Legally, marriage serves to protect children born of the union. Religiously, it serves whatever purpose the church in question believes it does. Marriage is no longer needed to protect children because we have DNA tests. However, I'm all for gays marrying so they can pay the marriage penalty tax too. The government can use more revanue.
What about infertile men and women? (Notice the hole in your post?)

Old 03-26-2013, 03:55 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,050,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
All the benefits derived from being married (and no children) can be handled completely without ever getting married.

Old 03-26-2013, 03:55 PM

3,168 posts, read 2,065,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
What about infertile men and women? (Notice the hole in your post?)
That's not a hole in her 'post.'

That's like her saying: seatbelts are for protecting people when they get in car accidents.

And then you brilliantly reply: Ah, but what about the people who wear seat belts and DON'T get in a car accident?

Old 03-26-2013, 03:57 PM

3,168 posts, read 2,065,386 times
twinArmageddons,

Even if they legalize gay marriage, I doubt that actor will marry you.

Old 03-26-2013, 03:58 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,214,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieApocExtraordinaire View Post
That's not a hole in her 'post.'

That's like her saying: seatbelts are for protecting people when they get in car accidents.

And then you brilliantly reply: Ah, but what about the people who wear seat belts and DON'T get in a car accident?
I am actually for seat belt use, nice try with a strawman argument though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies