Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 07:03 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Countries don't have their own languages. People do. Perhaps you see people as merely a collective that must subscribe to "one" everything whereas someone who believes in personal freedoms and choice, would suggest otherwise.

BTW, I saw restaurants in India carrying menu cards in Russian. Good business sense. Given the number of visitors from Russia, I would too. A server at a restaurant later told me that many of them also speak Russian fluently.
How about France? French is the national language there. You do realize that to be a country one must have people right?

Old 04-01-2013, 07:05 PM

1,738 posts, read 3,007,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I am not buying the nonsense that some supposed prejudice against immigrants keeps them from assimilating into our society. We don't object to legal immigration in controlled and diversified numbers. It is illegal immigrants that we object to especially since most of them are from south of our border and are colonizing rather than assimilating.
It's not nonsense. My grandparents were immigrants. They were brought to Hawaii by businessmen to work in the sugar fields. Guess what they did? Placed all of the immigrants together in camps by ethnic group. It's normal for people to want to hang around people like them. If they can get by, why does it matter?

There's colonies of expat Americans all over the world. The same for Brits. Some people like living in other places but that doesn't mean they should drop everything and become fully immersed in the new culture.

What about the people who do try to assimilate and get crapped on for it? Growing up I would see the privileged kids teasing the ESL students because of their English. They were trying their best but were being pushed away. Is it surprising some of them give up?

This has been going on in America in some capacity since the beginning. I'm sure even your ancestors did it. But now that it's a different ethnic group they should assimilate right away?

Old 04-01-2013, 07:24 PM

62,959 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
How about France? French is the national language there. You do realize that to be a country one must have people right?
I guess that little fact went right over his head.

Old 04-01-2013, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyramidsurf View Post
It's not nonsense. My grandparents were immigrants. They were brought to Hawaii by businessmen to work in the sugar fields. Guess what they did? Placed all of the immigrants together in camps by ethnic group. It's normal for people to want to hang around people like them. If they can get by, why does it matter?

There's colonies of expat Americans all over the world. The same for Brits. Some people like living in other places but that doesn't mean they should drop everything and become fully immersed in the new culture.

What about the people who do try to assimilate and get crapped on for it? Growing up I would see the privileged kids teasing the ESL students because of their English. They were trying their best but were being pushed away. Is it surprising some of them give up?

This has been going on in America in some capacity since the beginning. I'm sure even your ancestors did it. But now that it's a different ethnic group they should assimilate right away?
There is no reason for an "immigrant" not to assimilate into our society today other than choosing not to. Many places offer free English classes. No one is asking any immigrant to drop everything just to assimilate out in mainstream society. I don't care what language an immigrant chooses to speak at home or what culture they practice at home. I don't know of any immigrant today that gets crapped on for trying to assimilate. If students in ESL classes were being rude then their teacher should have not tolerated it and handled it. My ancestors were German. My wife's were Polish. They arrived here not knowing any English back in the early 1900's. They made the effort to assimilate and even though their English was broken they at least made the effort.

Part of the problem today is too many immigrants both legal and illegal from one ethnic group unlike in the past where there was more diversity in our immigration numbers. That encourages colonization rather than assimilation.

Old 04-01-2013, 07:46 PM

491 posts, read 373,212 times
Quote:
It's clear you haven't ventured outside the US much. Most countries have English documents and speakers. Least in all the 50+ I've been to.
Don't you mean 57+?

Old 04-01-2013, 09:20 PM

1,738 posts, read 3,007,762 times
Quote:
There is no reason for an "immigrant" not to assimilate into our society today other than choosing not to.
According to whom?

Quote:
Many places offer free English classes. No one is asking any immigrant to drop everything just to assimilate out in mainstream society.
Sure seems like it.

Quote:
I don't care what language an immigrant chooses to speak at home or what culture they practice at home. I don't know of any immigrant today that gets crapped on for trying to assimilate. If students in ESL classes were being rude then their teacher should have not tolerated it and handled it.
You don't know of any immigrant getting harassed for speaking broken English? Really? A couple pages back a guy put a sign in his store saying "speak English, this is America" or something to that effect.

I'm talking about incidents in the hallways where kids would tease the immigrants for not knowing English. It usually takes a few generations for people's kids from different countries to assimilate.

Quote:
My ancestors were German. My wife's were Polish. They arrived here not knowing any English back in the early 1900's. They made the effort to assimilate and even though their English was broken they at least made the effort.
Made the effort to speak English? Once again, explain why that matters?

I'd say the guy assimilated pretty well if he opened a little Bodega and got by for 20+ years. He's only not assimilated (according to you) because he doesn't speak English and has some unpaid bills.
Quote:
Part of the problem today is too many immigrants both legal and illegal from one ethnic group unlike in the past where there was more diversity in our immigration numbers. That encourages colonization rather than assimilation.
That's total garbage.

United States immigration statistics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Check out this link and look at the numbers from 1950. European Americans outnumbered Asia and Latin America combined. Seems to me like we have more diversity now, but some people don't agree with the way the new immigrants act (as seen by this thread).

Old 04-01-2013, 09:30 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,127,009 times
Quote:
There is no reason for an "immigrant" not to assimilate into our society today other than choosing not to. Many places offer free English classes. No one is asking any immigrant to drop everything just to assimilate out in mainstream society. I don't care what language an immigrant chooses to speak at home or what culture they practice at home. I don't know of any immigrant today that gets crapped on for trying to assimilate. If students in ESL classes were being rude then their teacher should have not tolerated it and handled it. My ancestors were German. My wife's were Polish. They arrived here not knowing any English back in the early 1900's. They made the effort to assimilate and even though their English was broken they at least made the effort.

You claim to be retired, I do not want to be rude, but you seem like older than me and you spend all day herr ranting endlesslly against immigrants. Maybe try to do something more productive? Like running for office? Or maybe there are groups that share like your position?

No offense, and i hope this post does not get deleted, but you seem to obsess with mexicans and illegals, yet claim to be well off and retired, maybe it is like an obsession? No offense, life is too short, hispanics are here and all this hate fulled diatribe is not going to change a lot. At least not here.

But there are groups online that advicota for white only english only etc. all i am saying is you seem pathologically obsessed with the subject.

Old 04-02-2013, 12:37 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,782,122 times
Quote:
You seem to have a bone to pick with a guy who won some money because he doesn't speak English and pay his child support (when there are millionaires who don't pay child support because they feel like spiting their ex).
More than likely the mother of the child who he failed to support took it to court once she learned about him winning the lottery. She probably didn't bother to do so earlier because it would have been trying to get blood from a stone. Now he's bleeding money and she can collect. She might as well get it while she can because chances are, like many have done, he will p*** it away and be back to square one in a couple of years.

As for millionaires not paying child support, then it's up to the mothers of the children to take them to court as well. It's no picnic going into court but eventually the court does make them pay.

Old 04-02-2013, 12:40 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,460,010 times
How is it possible?

Some guy who has been living in the U.S. for twenty-six years walked into a convenience store. It's not entirely clear whether he had the computer pick six numbers or if he picked six numbers himself. A while later, some place in control of picking random balls out of a machine, picked six numbers out. The guy who'd been living in the U.S. some twenty-six years happened to have a match of those same six numbers. He won the prize which was 338 million dollars.

The End.

Old 04-02-2013, 07:45 AM

Quote:
According to whom?

Sure seems like it.

You don't know of any immigrant getting harassed for speaking broken English? Really? A couple pages back a guy put a sign in his store saying "speak English, this is America" or something to that effect.

I'm talking about incidents in the hallways where kids would tease the immigrants for not knowing English. It usually takes a few generations for people's kids from different countries to assimilate.

Made the effort to speak English? Once again, explain why that matters?

I'd say the guy assimilated pretty well if he opened a little Bodega and got by for 20+ years. He's only not assimilated (according to you) because he doesn't speak English and has some unpaid bills.

That's total garbage.

United States immigration statistics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Check out this link and look at the numbers from 1950. European Americans outnumbered Asia and Latin America combined. Seems to me like we have more diversity now, but some people don't agree with the way the new immigrants act (as seen by this thread).
The point is that most Americans do not tease immigrants in a cruel way because they speak broken English. You're grasping at straws and making excuses for them now. I already explained in here numerous times why it is important to learn English. You want me to explain it yet again? Opening a business to make money for oneself does not equate to assimilation into our society any more than just taking a job in America equates to assimilation. Assimilation is about language and cultural acquisition and adoption not earning money in this country.

Is this what you call diversity in our country today? Look at how many more from Mexico and Latino countries way outnumber any others by far in both our legal and illegal immigration population.

http://blog.ohmygov.com/blogs/genera...n-the-u-s.aspx
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies