Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2013, 04:59 PM

63,004 posts, read 29,178,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELR123 View Post
Way to leave out the part where he said if he had millions of dollars he would look like a good guy. There's the jealousy.

Racism? Well, at the very least it's nativism.
Where are you getting jealousy out of this by that remark? It only exists in your biased mind. A nativist puts one's country above all else. Where is the nativism by only expecting someone who has been here for 26 years to be able to at least speak passable English? I get so sick of the race card and all the other nasty labels for Americans who only desire immigrants to come legally and assimilate into our society when they it is THEY that chose to come here in the first place! I wouldn't dream of migrating to another country and not learning and speaking their language.

Old 03-30-2013, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
pushing on whom? when have hispanics...or anyone else, say you had to speak any other language than English?

"Pushing" means what exactly? Being in America and avocating for their cutrual use of thier language...Is that "pushing" you? All all those spanish speakers...are they "Pushing" you?
Oh please, it is being forced on us in hiring practices. Many employers won't hire you unless you speak Spanish. That is ridiculous. We are an English speaking country. All of this is directly due to pandering to illegal aliens and their ethnocentric citizen counterparts who insist on being dealt with in Spanish. If that isn't pushing then I don't know is. Even good government jobs, firefighter jobs, etc. are requiring Spanish now. Have you been asleep the past few years?

I have even gone into major department stores where the ads over the intercom were strictly in Spanish. Not even an English version of them.

Old 03-30-2013, 05:03 PM

37,981 posts, read 22,172,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
You don't have to know English to pick numbers.
I think it's the arriving "from the Dominican Republic 26 years ago" part that is amazing to me. The man has been here over a quarter century and never bothered to learn the English language?

Old 03-31-2013, 12:06 AM

4,272 posts, read 3,790,095 times
If you don't need to learn English to be successful in this country, then why learn it? It's a free country.

Old 03-31-2013, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geofra View Post
If you don't need to learn English to be successful in this country, then why learn it? It's a free country.
Why move to a country where you have no intention of assimilating into their society? It's like joining a church and sitting in a pew in the back and refusing to interact with any of its members or getting involved in any of the activities of the church. It's just plain rude. We shouldn't be viewed as only a cash cow and employment agency to the world.

Old 03-31-2013, 06:49 AM

1,724 posts, read 1,472,247 times
People need to stop being jealous and attacking the job creators in this country. We need them more than we need you.

Old 03-31-2013, 06:55 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,246,149 times
Quote:
It's like joining a church and sitting in a pew in the back and refusing to interact with any of its members or getting involved in any of the activities of the church. It's just plain rude. We shouldn't be viewed as only a cash cow and employment agency to the world.
L O L, I was sent to the local Catholic church growing up, beginning from the time I was able to find my own way to it at an early age. At the age of 15, I would sit in the back pews, and thought, WTH am I doing in this place?

I got up and walked out, went to the corner candy store, bought a milky way and a pepsicola with my weekly tithe, went to my friends house, shared my soda and candy bar, and rode, played with, and worked on go carts in a alley in Chicago's inner city.

I became friends with many blacks, hispanics/latinos/ and others, and have never ever wanted to go back to Christianity, because it is all hypocrisy. My knees still ache from kneeling in front of an altar where myth consumes people. Pardon me all to h*ll if I seem to be rude, LOL.

Old 03-31-2013, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
L O L, I was sent to the local Catholic church growing up, beginning from the time I was able to find my own way to it at an early age. At the age of 15, I would sit in the back pews, and thought, WTH am I doing in this place?

I got up and walked out, went to the corner candy store, bought a milky way and a pepsicola with my weekly tithe, went to my friends house, shared my soda and candy bar, and rode, played with, and worked on go carts in a alley in Chicago's inner city.

I became friends with many blacks, hispanics/latinos/ and others, and have never ever wanted to go back to Christianity, because it is all hypocrisy. My knees still ache from kneeling in front of an altar where myth consumes people. Pardon me all to h*ll if I seem to be rude, LOL.
Are you this dense that you didn't get the analogy? This guy didn't get up and leave this country he decided to stay here and continue to not assimilate.

Old 03-31-2013, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Common Anomaly View Post
People need to stop being jealous and attacking the job creators in this country. We need them more than we need you.
Who's attacking job creation?

Old 03-31-2013, 07:25 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,948,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Oh please, it is being forced on us in hiring practices. Many employers won't hire you unless you speak Spanish. That is ridiculous. We are an English speaking country. All of this is directly due to pandering to illegal aliens and their ethnocentric citizen counterparts who insist on being dealt with in Spanish. If that isn't pushing then I don't know is. Even good government jobs, firefighter jobs, etc. are requiring Spanish now. Have you been asleep the past few years?

I have even gone into major department stores where the ads over the intercom were strictly in Spanish. Not even an English version of them.
You have lost a job because you dont speak spanish? Losing a job and not being qualified for a job are to different things.

If an American business does business here in America and in other parts of latin America, and has his call center here...Is it more advantagous to hire a bilingual person or have to hire you, a person that can only speak one?

There are thousands of jobs you can qualify for that dont require you to be able to speak a second language...but it galls you that any job favors a worker that is bilingual.

I bet you a million dollars that you have never been fired from a job because your employer required you to learn to speak spanish...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies